Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By YAK_Chewie
Hi guys, sometime in the coming months I am going to be building from scratch a home on Naboo for the Enloe family from my photonovels. I want this to be something that I can use in several photonovels potentially and would love to make some sort of community project for this, getting your ideas.

I need to come up with something that is modular, and doesn't take up too much space - but still has the capacity to look like it is a dwelling for a family.

I'm leaning on this being a home that is outside the city of Theed - at one time the family lived within the capital. But his wife, Alyssa, is no longer a handmaiden and is now a full time mother.

Here's the people who will be living there...

Alyssa Enloe & Caldin Enloe (Rykrof's wife and son) -

Josser Enloe (Rykrof's father - his look might be changed a bit, but for now this is what he looks like) -

But now I need something totally different... any suggestions? For all you diorama builders out there, what type of material would you suggest? Foamcore or styrene? Perhaps a combination of the two? Or something else?

Also, if anyone wants to help with ideas please post in this thread.

One thing to keep in mind is that I won't even be starting construction on this for at least a couple months, so there's some time to start coming up with ideas.

Thanks!

:wink:
Last edited by YAK_Chewie on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
By YAK_Chewie
That's a fantastic idea... thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think about looking at dollhouses for ideas... and the Naboo styles do have a Victorian element to them in my opinion.

Some of those pics really give me some ideas...

I guess that at the very least, I can find some furniture at a hobby store on ebay to help fill out the environment.

I also saw this set that I kind of like, just not sure about the colors -

I can't believe my hobby has evolved into looking at dollhouses for my collection, wow! :oops:

By Darth Kikinou
I'm looking forward to what you do with it!

Since you said you wanted the homestead to be away from Theed, I'm guessing you're considering making it a country villa, in the area where Padme takes Anakin in Ep II? That would be cool!
By YAK_Chewie
Yep - it will definitely be out in the country. I am considering using something like this for the outside area... perhaps the Enloe's own a ranch or something. I dunno... maybe it should be more of a lakeside villa, but I have no idea how I'd pull that off...

If they own a ranch or something, perhaps I could use some stuff like this that Schleich makes -

Image Image

I also want to get a few of these trees, but they're really expensive -

Image Image

By The Professor
For plants, I strongly suggest deer moss which can be bought at just about any hobby store. It's dyed and looks perfect.

As for the design, I'll have to think about it. For some reason, I'm envisioning a round building with a few separate wings that can come off.

For materials, I always go with foamcore. I've never worked with styrene, but I'm sure it's a far more durable material, so that might be the best bet.

I'll do some thinking about this project and draw up some possible ideas soon.
By jedistyle
that sounds like a real challenge chewie. it's always harder to create a conventional type dio than the typical SW space station-cantina type of deal.

i have to agree with the professer that i had though of somthing rounded and domed when i first read this thread, for some reason. mabey it's because all the taller buildings in the wide views of theed from ep.1 had dome on them.

mabey a design that mixes a medival castle and a frontier barn woul dbe cool. not quite sure yet how to pull that off, but i'd be into figureing somthing out, mabey sketching somthing out and trying to help out on this.
By The Professor
CHEWIE, what kind of rooms are you thinking about? I think I have a possible idea.
By YAK_Chewie
Hey guys, you're coming up with some very helpful and cool ideas! I really like the line of thinking that the building should be curved or have a dome... a lot of Naboo culture seems to use designs like that...

Anyone remember the EPI game on Nintento 64 where you fought for Naboo, and even explored the planet some? I think it might have shown some homes from the citizens out in the grassy fields and even around some mountains. I've love to see some pics of those for reference if anyone knows where to look?

As for the rooms - I'm not sure... I would think a basic living room area, with a kitchen and 2-3 bedrooms. It's basically going to be used for photonovel use only, so I suppose I could also do some digital work on it but I'd prefer for the whole thing to be a real physical diorama.

For material, I am about 90% convinced that I'm going to use styrene... it's more expensive but I think I'd be glad I used it once the project is complete.

By The Professor
Right now, I'm envisioning a central circular room with a traditional dome. From that, four smaller turrets jut out at 90 degree angles, attached to the main building by small bridges or walkways. I need to draw this.
By Findswoman
CHEWIE, this sounds like such a wonderful project! To echo some of the things in my message to you, I think the Playmobil dollhouse furniture suggested by Tykrazen (to whom also hello!) would work great -- it's JUST the right scale and the right look -- but no need to go to Ebay for it, it's readily available right there on www.playmobil.com. :) Playmobil's "Magic Castle" and "Modern Living" series might have some useful pieces as well. Playmobil also has some nice trees and vegetation pieces (see, for example, the "Magic Tree" under the "Magic Castle" series).

Non-Playmobil dollhouse stuff is a mixed bag -- while often very nice-looking, the scale is often somewhat bigger (1:12 rather than 1:18 ), so not everything will work equally well. The smaller accessories will usually work better than the furniture. (That set with the striped furniture is awfully pretty, though. 8) )

As for soft-goods rugs, curtains, etc., you've got lots of options -- more than if you were making clothes for figures this size! Satin and velour would work great, especially if you're going for an opulent look. Of course, it's a good idea to be consistent with fabric: you might not want posh red satin pillows in the same room as a bearskin rug, just look-wise. We can talk about it some more. :)

Oh, and those columns they use on wedding cakes -- available at any Michael's -- are great Naboo-style scenery elements! (That's something I learned from Lance Quazar.)

Thanks so much for the invitation to discuss this project. I'm really looking forward to seeing what develops with this -- I've always been particularly fond of Naboo and its whole look.

... the Findswoman
By YAK_Chewie
Thanks for so many great ideas already Findswoman! I'm looking forward to discussing in further detail, but wow I had no idea that Playmobile made so much diorama type stuff! I wish a few of the items that I've looked at on their site looked a little more detailed, but some like this look perfect for what I'm wanting to do -

By YAK_Chewie
We'll see, I am pretty tempted to at least order the fence!

After having a bit of a heated conversation with my wife about starting another large project, there's also the possibility that I might commission someone to do part of this because time for me is getting more and more limited.

Customizer a1deluxe made my Naboo Courtyard diorama and might be just the person to create the main area for me of the home itself? I'm pretty sure he'd be up for it. If I did talk to him, it would be about making an exterior to the home, and the basic interior w/out furniture and the sort. Just the basic shell. He's probably the best person I've seen with foamcore, and he's super easy to work with. Very nice guy and quite reasonable in my dealings with him.

For example here's a few of his pieces -

By Darth Kikinou
YAK_Chewie wrote:After having a bit of a heated conversation with my wife about starting another large project, there's also the possibility that I might commission someone to do part of this because time for me is getting more and more limited.

I have an anecdote for you. I play in chess tournaments from time to time (I'm ok), and I once overheard some players in jovial conversation before a round. One guy was regaling some others with a story whereby his wife had gotten fed up with his obsession with chess, how he was spending too much time playing and spending weekends away. She gave him an ultimatum: it was either her, or the chess, he had to choose. He then said: "God, I'm going to miss that woman."

Take from it what you wish ;) hehe
SDCC 2019

Here's a few more pics that Lance passed along: […]

Awesome, I had a great time doing it. Congratulat[…]

Hasbro Pulse teasing?

Was on Hasbro Pulse today and noticed something th[…]

Community fodder box...

Thank you Utinniii, Super excited this has starte[…]

TVC - The Rise of Skywalker

You know, I really feel that they could have blown[…]

Ligulatechans are relatives to Affytechans with th[…]

Ligulatechans are relatives to Affytechans with th[…]