Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By Droidworld
Hi! I've been doing dioramas of one sort or another since 1978. More often than not on bookshelves. (IKEA Billy shelves anyone?!)

My most recent diorama is Dagobah. This time, in a closet in the basement of our new (old) house...

If you have a sharp eye, you noticed that the scene in the middle of the diorama in the first couple of pictures is different. In the past, any representation of Dagobah I did, had multiple Lukes, R2s and Yodas.

This time I went with a turntable, so only one scene is visible at any given time:

I also sculpey-ted a couple of bog-wings, to fly over the swamp:

And here as a custom figure I customized for the dio: Magic Tree Yoda

And yes, his upper body is still removable:

A movie illustrating how Magic Tree Yoda's upper half, gets switched up from the log into the turntable portion of the diorama is here: http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii303/Droidworld/DIORAMAS/?action=view&current=MagicTreeYoda.mp4

Here are some pics of Yoda's Hut

SWEET DAGOBAH DREAMS EVERYONE!!!

I have several custom figures, avatars, cardbacks, stickers and of course, dioramas, at: http://s267.photobucket.com/home/Droidworld/allalbums

Thanks for looking, your questions, comments or otherwise are always welcome.
Last edited by Droidworld on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
By stroebel83
That is breath taking any WIP photos? Is the yoda on the log custom?
By Droidworld
The fog is simply pulled apart cotton balls.

Here are some WIP shots.

It started with an empty closet in the basement, with a loosely painted backdrop, that would only be seen a bit.

After making Endor, then came Dagobah, and eventually I"ll tackle the great outdoors of Tatooine....

The gnarltrees are made of foamcore, galvanized wire, rope and paper maché. The ground is basically varying levels of foamcore covered with a bath towel.

And there is now a tiny bit of swamp "EZ Water" beside Yoda's hut. (A better pic will come after customizing a Dagobah R2-D2!) Instead of making Yoda's hut out of a paper maché balloon, I went with a stronger option; a plastic bowl and a toilet brush holder from the dollar store; dremelled out a few wholes, "sculpeyted" a bit and blended it into another gnarltree with paper maché.

And yes, the Magic Tree Yoda is a partial custom. He has a minty green wash, and his lower body and the knapsack are "sculpeyted" onto a twig...um,.....er...log! I wish I spent more time on him, but once again, impatience got the best of me. Yoda would NOT approve!

And, yes, he is still removable!

The bog-wings are also sculpeyted:

By YAK_Chewie
Droidworld, I've seen some amazing dioramas over the years... many that just blow me away. But this one is easily one of the coolest ones that I've seen (would be great for a Hasbro diorama contest in my opinion),

Anyways, what just blows my mind here is that you didn't take any shortcuts; there are so many things going on in this. The vines and tree roots just add so much depth - and is that a carcass of an animal snuck in there? Things like that add so much, and adds to just how disgusting the Dagobah environment is... heh. I'd seriously love to see somewhere in the TV series a squad of Imperials landing on the planet in search of a Jedi Master... just having touble manuevering through the horrible terrain, run into dangerous creatures, and finally get slaughtered by Yoda himself.

Back on topic though - so many things about this diorama capture the imagination and wonder of what we see in ESB. I can almost see the X-Wing rising out of the water and have that feeling as a little kid again that I felt so many years ago... I feel Hasbro really misses the boat on opportunities like this with their severe lack of enviroments.

Again, fantastic work and thank you for sharing it over here. It's a delight to see something this spectacular.

:wink:
By Droidworld
thanks Chewie and zedhatch! I accidentally erased the entire first post when adding a final pic of Yoda's Hut at night. I think I put everything back and more....Sorry about that?!?!
By Squirepec7
:shock: :shock: :shock: THAT IS AWESOME!!! I really like that sitting yoda with the detachable upper torso. Great job and you set the bar. Now break it. :D
By Darth_Cuddles
Droidworld, that is some of the absolute best diorama work I have ever seen!!! The turntable is such a cool idea, and Magic Tree Yoda is awesome! I'm totally blown away by your work here!!! :D
By The Professor
This has to be one of the coolest dioramas I've seen lately. I absolutely love the turn table. It really makes this set a display piece, and it blends in perfectly. You did a fine job with Yoda's sitting bottom half, too, and I love the hut. What a great job!
By Paulskywalker
That is flipping brilliant!! There's so much detail and i love that your dio's are in a cupboard!! :lol:
Custom Tree Huts Star Wars !!!!

Bumped because someone asked me about these today.[…]

Luke 3-Pack

Great thread, some brilliant pictures, well done I[…]

Think you did a good job personalizing yourself in[…]

My Custom Star Wars Figures/Vehicles

Excellent!!!! RC was one of my favorite games as […]

Great use of the Kit Fisto head! Very reminiscent[…]

I swear, your skill in soft goods and sculpting ar[…]

Parts Swap/Parts For Sale

Any Republic Commando backpacks available in here?[…]

Community fodder box...