Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By Utinniii
It's been awhile since I had time to work on anything, especially a diorama. However, I've slowly been working on some interior rooms based off of the Disney's Haunted Mansion ride. I'm not trying to recreate the ride exactly and I will use different elements from the different parks. I'll also add generally creepy stuff.

It is 1:18 scale made for my Horror figures.
I finally have something worth posting.

First, I gathered some objects I hope to put in it. As I've wanted to make this for years, I've accumulated quite a bit.

One idea for the ride as it was originally conceived was as a Museum of the Weird. I may add some strange things in it, space permitting.

I spent quite a bit of time making tiles of the various wallpapers that I want to use. I did as best as my skills allowed.
There will be 3 rooms, 2 hallways with one room taking elements from a couple of different rooms in the mansion.

The first pic has a hallway with a Schliech Knight. Behind it will be a Library/Sitting room/Ballroom/Stretch room.
I'm not really making blueprints so this room will be built last.

This will be the Corridor of Doors.

The wall will be removable, revealing a Conservatory. I printed out a free model of the Coffin. Making the window was pretty hard. I haven't quite decided if I want to put glass in it or not. I will need to decide that before I permanently attach the walls. My main concern is adding it will make photographing it more difficult.

The wallpaper is different from the ride, partly because I couldn't find a good picture of it, but also because I wanted to use the paper I chose.

The attic is the room I'm most excited to build. It has an insane amount of detail, even before adding the clutter. It has a lot of woodwork. Getting the gable built was surprisingly difficult.

This picture shows it only half finished. I still need to add the support beams.

Currently, I'm making a bunch of books, magazines, records and comics to put in the attic.
By Utinniii
Lance Quazar wrote:Wow, this looks like it'll be fantastic! Can't wait to see it. Awesome so far!!!

Thanks! The Conservatory is almost done. I made the marble risers in the back as well as put in the floor and wallpapers. I need to do a few touch ups as well as finish off the coffin.
The walls but not the ceiling are permanently attached.

I put in a few more support beams for the gable. I also added windows. Since the reflection is so obvious here I think I will leave the conservatory windows empty. It would be a pane in the glass to put them in anyway.

Hopefully I can do more rafters and paint them up soon.

Here are some record albums, books and posters that I made. I have more coming.

By Utinniii
The diorama has now been fully assembled and glued/taped together.

I'm adding the support beams and added another wash of brown paint. The top is done and now I need to finish up the vertical support beams. I may try to add some wood grain patterns to the ceiling.
This came together much faster than I expected.

I have a few more books/comics/magazines. Down in the Conservatory, I ripped out a bit of the wallpaper where I will add trim. I originally didn't intend to make the gryphon/lion support pillars here but I think I will add them in. It is just a question of if I do it now or later.
By Utinniii
YAK_Chewie wrote:That's very impressive Utinniii. Looks very life-like.

:wink:

Thanks, but life-like is really the opposite of what I was going for. Death and decay was the vibe I wanted! :P

Lance Quazar wrote:Love this!

Hey, are those mousepad rugs? I have one, too! :D

The largest one is. The smaller two are for a 1:12 Dollhouse. I got them off Ebay. If you watch for awhile the often go on sale. Be prepared for a looong wait to get them though.

I finished attaching the support beams. I need to give them a black wash still. I also added a tapestry from the ride.

The Hatbox Ghost couldn't wait to occupy his spot.

By Utinniii
I'm going through my attic junk. I have way more junk than space so I will have to play around with things when I can finally put things in my diorama.

I added some black "mold" to the attic and put in a few hooks for hanging junk. I have a few more hooks to put in and am on the lookout for something I can use for curtains.

I've been avoiding making the pillars for the conservatory until now. They have a lot of details that are hard for me to sculpt. I tried carving Balsa but it was unsatisfactory. If I ever learn how to use 3D modelling software I may try to do them better. I also had the problem of height. my ceiling is at least 4 feet lower so I can't have the same visual lines.

The lion heads will eventually be mounted on the ceiling.
I also need to add a bit more lace to the curtains. I wound up cutting some lacy fabric to get the fringe. They are lots of tiny pieces glued together on a napkin.
I still have a lot of work on the plants. I also want to make the wreathes.
There are elements of the pet cemetery in here for now. IDK if I will keep them.

By Utinniii
ctonra wrote:Sweet Dio, Great feel of the ride so far, where is the hatbox ghost from?

It is an ornament that I got at WDW last year. They also had Leota but much too large for my purposes and a Constance Bride.
I've made a few more bits. I've seen ornaments of the three Hitchhiking Ghosts in a fan's collection but I don't know if they are new or old. I want them though.

Here are some Attic reference pics.

Conservatory

By Lance Quazar
Very cool reference photos! This is going to be great.

I was at Disneyland last week and the Haunted Mansion ride stopped for about five minutes right in front of bride. It's a very cool effect and we got to see every one of her one-liners (several times!)

Part of me was hoping the ride was going to be totally broken down and we would have had the chance to walk out with the lights on. Oh, well.

(We think the hold up was a group of rowdy kids we had seen goofing off on the queue.)
By Utinniii
Lance Quazar wrote:Very cool reference photos! This is going to be great.

I was at Disneyland last week and the Haunted Mansion ride stopped for about five minutes right in front of bride. It's a very cool effect and we got to see every one of her one-liners (several times!)

Part of me was hoping the ride was going to be totally broken down and we would have had the chance to walk out with the lights on. Oh, well.

Thanks!

I'd love to go back to Disneyland. I want to see the Hatbox Ghost in person (and buy the white hearse).
The Haunted Mansion is one ride I don't mind if it breaks down when I'm on it (so long as it can be fixed so I can go on again!). I'd also want to do a walk through. There are things I'd like to see up close (and discretely film).

Here is the best blog for reference photos and information. https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blo ... m/2019/04/

I was hoping to finish the wooden pillars this weekend, but alas... They are almost finished which makes me really happy as they have been holding me up. I feel like they took as long to make as the entire attic.

This photo also has some plants I'm arranging for the conservatory; some pots i made; a reinforced lid for the coffin - with nails!!!;
and probably the world's smallest Lakeside Haunted Mansion game. The stand up figures are too small to see, but they are there. I had to cut out a few extras since I would lose them, every time I dropped them.

The framed picture is a sticker that changes from living to corpse. I have a few of them.
I'm starting to make a lamp. The base is a broken ear bud, lollipop stem and a glass bead.

I've done a lot of little things that don't look like much now, but will as I start to put more things together.

I've also ordered some things off of Ebay so I will have to wait a couple of months for them to arrive.
Yakfinities #73 - The Unknown Regions

A Dark Jedi and master of Teräs Käsi, Arden Lyn […]

Arden Lyn p63 / Index p1

A Dark Jedi and master of Teräs Käsi, Arden Lyn […]

My Custom Star Wars Figures/Vehicles

Omega Squad is finished! https://i.imgur.com/pM9J[…]

I love each of those custom Luke figures -- awesom[…]

Retail Sales, Clearances, Etc.

Nice! I found Quay two weekends ago.

Amazon.ca has finally listed them for $16.50 (spid[…]

That’s an excellent first vehicle to get!!!

Yakfinities #74 - Idea Phase

Yeah, but a similar theme to Fugitives (Criminals[…]