If you could alter the Prequel Movies

Discussion about anything related to the SAGA movie releases (OT & PT).

Moderators: MistaBinks, Yakface.com Staff

TB9153
Scout Trooper

Postby TB9153 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 pm

i like a lot of you points cookie. :D
Coookieemonster
Moisture Farmer

Postby Coookieemonster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 pm

TB thanks.

TFS These are the points you made I like the most.
1) I wish George would have kept to the "used" galaxy look, this is partly what gives Star Wars its character, to further expand on it I would have liked them to use more established planets not make them up.
2) The ships in the Pre-quals have an entirely different look and feel - to me they arent Star Warsy enough so I can appreciate what you are saying.
3) They should have taken every possible chance to still use puppets for the aliens and characters, ex. Yoda. CGI crap is not good enough to replicate the look of something that is meant to be physically on set. My example, Dexter... he looked like crap! Jabba...crap! Sebulba...crap! Battledroids...mostly crap!
4) For the actor choices, most of us feel Lucas screwed this one up. Swap out both Anakin's of course. Keep Mace, Dooku (even though the story could have been told without him) Obi-Wan and maybe Padme and Anthony Daniels.
5) It is improbable that Vader made 3P0 so maybe slip him in but not in this cheesy unbelievable way.
6) R2 should not have a bunch of amazing powers that he did not have in the OT. Ex. his side lift rockets.
7) I think using Chewie was a good Idea, however you are right in saying that he looked shoe horned in, if they were going to use him he should of been seen in the first movie with Yakora the Wookiee Senator.
8) And the development of the clone troopers is horrible. The clones should have come right out of the factory looking like Stormtroopers with no deviation in armor color or design - totally agree with you and I go as far as saying they shouldnt have been messed up in the force unleashed either by giving them skittle colors.
9) The weapons and ships used by the Republic should have been Tie fighters and Star Destroyers, or if not those use the Y-Wings they are using in the Clone Wars cartoons or even slightly alter them so they look a tad diferent, however make so that on a glance you could tell what it was going to eventually develop into.
10) Why not connect the dots easily instead of leaving a vague unconnected storyline?
11) Stop it with all of the clone color variations, if the Scout troopers on Endor couldn't figure out camo then I sure as heck assume several generations earlier didn't have camo either.
"Wooooookkkkkiiiieeeee Coooookkkkkiiiiiieeeeesssss"
TradeFederationSympathy
Pod Racer

Postby TradeFederationSympathy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks Cookiemonster I was hoping I wasn't totally alone on those points. I think I agree with your alterations of the prequel storyline completely! Those are some amazing ideas, it is a shame that you weren't the one making the shots on those sets. Very creative ideas, you seem to have thought out the prequel storyline better than Lucas did.
Coookieemonster
Moisture Farmer

Postby Coookieemonster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:44 pm

To be honest TFS I think anyone who is a fan like you and me, and the rest of the guys and girls on here could do a better job than Lucas - Lucas went just for the money and lost his integrity on the PT Movies, I am just glad we are getting the Animated Clone Wars now and these are great even the worst one is better than the TPM and AOTC, so I hope they continue doing strong and going from strength to strength.

Also you never know he may go back and make the alterations that need to be made, or even better still remake all 3 PT Movies keeping what works and junking the rest in an Animated Clone Wars style.

Similair to how a lot of the Revamped Sci-Fi shows did (the one that springs to mind is the new Battlestar Galactica, which seems to be popular - have to be honest I dont like it, because I preffered the original - and would have loved someone to continue on with the Richard Hatch Books).
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Ye all blasphemers shall be burnt at the stake lest ye repent! :-)
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
TradeFederationSympathy
Pod Racer

Postby TradeFederationSympathy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Darth Kikinou wrote:Ye all blasphemers shall be burnt at the stake lest ye repent! :-)

LOL :lol:
Coookieemonster
Moisture Farmer

Postby Coookieemonster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Ok Darth mus'nt be in his right mind, lol.

I aint repented for nothing yet, and I still say the PT Movies are crap, lol.

But seriously read through the points we have made and would you not agree that those points raised would have been better suited and a much respected nod to the OT Movies, at the Min its like 2 seperate trilogys that dont gel, where it was supposed to be depending on what you believe either a 6 part story or a 9 part story.

For example it's like telling the Hobbit but not using anything familiar to Lord of the Rings, or vice a versa.

Hell even Star Trek for all its mistakes still had stuff from the Old Serious right through to the new, that came together.

Star Wars started of with a concept that was amazing for the time and still is to me and fellow fans, then all of a sudden theres stuff in now that should be in Hellraiser or Horror Movies, to me Star Wars is quickly becoming less Flash Gordon which it was supposed to be and more Something else, I am not quite sure what - and to be honest Dark Horse has a lot to do with that and other EU sources, because they are pandering to a generation of Resident Evil addicts, they want stuff darker and more gritty, Star Wars was never that but Lucas tried to change it into that, to give it more an edge. To be honest I am hoping the live action TV Series remains like the Clone Wars, because if it doesnt I think its going to kill Star Wars for a lot of older fans.

The only thing I am glad about is they made the Clone Wars, which is bringing it back to the Flash Gordon and Old Serial style Movies, and I think they realised they needed to do this, to get people back into the OT Star Wars era, and its working imo better than the 3 PT Movies he made before it.
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Alright let's go all-out now, here are my refutations :-)

TradeFederationSympathy wrote:I wish George would have kept to the "used" galaxy look, this is partly what gives Star Wars its character. The ships in the Pre-quals have an entirely different look and feel. I understand that maybe they are meant to look new and clean before the war and before the Empire took hold but come on, clean isn't Star Wars.

I disagree. If you look at Tatooine in Ep1, and Geonosis in Ep2 for instance, they're as dirty as the OT's locales. Coruscant -- especially the senate district -- should be squeaky clean, no? It's the seat of power for the entire galaxy! And Theed, of course that should be clean! They're rich! :-) What about Cloud City in the OT? That was clean as a whistle. And Han and his rag-tag MF, well they're so gritty because they're outlaw smugglers. The Death Star seems pretty clean!

They should have taken every possible chance to still use puppets for the aliens and characters, ex. Yoda. CGI crap is not good enough to replicate the look of something that is meant to be physically on set.

Quite the opposite. They did a really lousy job with Yoda in epI, I'm looking forward to them re-dubbing the image with CGI one day :-)

My example, Dexter... he looked like crap!

You'd have had to significantly simplify the character to do it as a puppet, which I guess would have been fine but I'll give you this point :-)

Jabba...crap!

Well we saw him for all of 2 seconds, not really worth the animatronics :)

Sebulba...crap! Battledroids...mostly crap!

Impossible to puppetize these, too skinny, too complex. They did a fine job!! :-) The reason all the muppets / funny costumes worked so well in the OT is because none of them really did anything but sit around or stand around. It's pretty much impossible to do that when the role requires significant movement!

and for the actor choices, most of us feel Lucas screwed this one up. Swap out both Anakin's of course. Keep Mace,

Now that I'm accustomed to Hayden I don't mind him anymore, nor can I think of anyone else I'd rather have seen. But agreed that he wasn't perfect.

Dooku (even though the story could have been told without him)

Surely you jest!!! He's one of my favorite characters!! He's the dark side equivalent to the old Obi-Wan, it's brilliant. Plus a fallen Jedi of his stature shows just how powerful the draw of the dark side really is, so we don't end up thinking it's just stupid naive kids that can fall prey to it, and also how persuasive and cunning Palps is!

Obi-Wan and maybe Padme and Anthony Daniels.

Agreed, but for Padme it's the same deal as Hayden: I cannot think of anyone else who could have done it better.

It is improbable that Vader made 3P0 so maybe slip him in but not in this cheesy unbelievable way.

It was indeed preposterous :-)

R2 should not have a bunch of amazing powers that he did not have in the OT. Ex. his side lift rockets. :roll:

When in the OT would rockets have come in handy for little R2? And all his instruments like the ones to repair and drag C-3PO during the Geonosis arena scene, well he whipped out quite an arsenal in ROTJ as well, so the little guy is really packing! :-)

Chewie should not have been forced into the movie. Wookies are fine, just not the only specific Wookie that we already know.

Chewie was Tarful's son. That's a perfectly reasonable reason to have him there. He's not prominent, he just happened to survive the genocide, hence it is why he goes into hiding as a pirate! I like it!

And the development of the clone troopers is horrible. The clones should have come right out of the factory looking like Stormtroopers with no deviation in armor color or design.

That's insane. It is perfectly reasonable to expect that the army would upgrade their armor to suit field conditions, and that with the war being fought on so many fronts, that the different regiments would need to be easily distinguished from one another. Also, clones do have their own personalities and affinity for taste and what not. Troops in Viet-Nam routinely had unique items, such as markings on their helmets and such. Besides, how boring to have these ubiquitous troops in this vast war, would have sucked. Once the war ends, then they normalize the armor and it's pretty squeaky clean, btw. In peace time you don't need much differentiation.

The weapons and ships used by the Republic should have been Tie fighters and Star Destroyers. Why not connect the dots easily instead of leaving a vague unconnected storyline?

Again, 20 years is a long time for the defense contractors to provide upgrades to suit the conditions, and to take advantage of technology advances. All the ships in the PT do have a look reminiscent of the designs from the OT, they're just not quite there. That's like saying that since we now have helicopters with two propellers, that it makes no sense that we once had helicopters with just one :-)

Stop it with all of the clone color variations, if the Scout troopers on Endor couldn't figure out camo then I sure as heck assume several generations earlier didn't have camo either.

The requirements during war time and peace time are different!

because of all of the lame scenes which occurred on Geonosis. I hated it when they had C-3P0 flying around in the droid factory and then got his head knocked onto a battledroid, AND YET he was still able to talk, and control his new body. I dislike the jokes made by 3P0 when his head is knocked off in the arena. EP II just has so many disappointing parts. :x

Comic relief my friend. A little more pronounced than in the OT, yes, but think how annoying threeso was in EpV with Han too? And his cowardice again in ROTJ? As far as the droid technology, it seems that the different droid parts are standardized with the connector ports they use. IE, like USB connectors. Any head / CPU can go onto any motor body. That is why threeso is confused when he gets a battle droid body, and the battle droid is confused when he gets a protocol droid body. Perfectly reasonable. If you complain about that, then why not complain that droids need to talk to one another using vocal languages at all? Why don't they just send each other streams of 1's and 0's over wireless ethernet? All the chit chat between the droids at Jabba's palace really shows there's no such interface, only the big system-wide mainframes are accessible in that way (the computers on board the death star and the invisible hand, for instance, which R2 interfaces with.)

So there, hah! I win! :-)

BTW, I'd been thinking about this droid-to-droid communication lately and wondering why they don't have a more efficient standardized way of communication amongst themselves. I figure maybe the galaxy went through the equivalent of the Butlerian Jihad that is part of the lore in Dune many generations ago. That is, they did develop all their droids to be massively networked and all, but these became too powerful and uncontrollable and took over just like in the Terminator series. So, whereas "thinking machines" are completely outlawed in the Dune universe, maybe they compromised in the Star Wars universe and decided to make each "thinking machine" completely autonomous and unable to collaborate with other thinking machines in any way more efficient than they would with sentients, thus rendering them more or less benign.

Yay! :-)
Niktom
Imperial Alchemist

Postby Niktom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Scrap all three of them....

Yea I know I'm going to catch it for that but I'm sorry... the Prequals explained WAY too much.

I didn't want to know about midchlroians, I didn't want to know where Boba Fett came from nor what he looked like, I didn't want to be introduced to Jar Jar, I didn't want to know who made 3PO, I didn't want to know that R2 is the one who really saves the day (already knew that from the OT), I didn't want to see Anakin and Ben have their falling out, I didn't want to see the Clone Wars, I didn't want to see Palpatine rise to power, I didn't want to see where Stormtroopers came from, I didn't want to see Maul and Dooku, I didn't want to see Yoda fight with a lightsaber, I didn't want to see all the different plants, and I didn't want to meet all the new people.

Star Wars was just fine and dandy with the original three movies. No special edition, no prequel tie ins, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Star Wars was AWESOME the first time around. I don't care what George says... it's all about the money now.

All in all... the prequels are crap... well, except for this... 8)

and this...

But of course that's just my humble opinion. Image
Always looking for Vintage Star Wars Holiday Special Items
Visit YaksPub.com
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:27 pm

heh well what did you expect from the PT then? :-) Sounds like you should have skipped them altogether ;-) I agree with some of the things you mentioned though: midichlorians, threeso's maker, jar jar's excessive antics, and yoda w/ lightsaber.

R2 _is_ the hero of the series though! Every episode he saves the day!! :-)
Coookieemonster
Moisture Farmer

Postby Coookieemonster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Niktom I here what you say but there was some decent stuff in them as well, it just needed to be more thought out and tied into the originals and some of the points you make I have already made - so I agree with you on some of these.

One other thing I would have liked to have seen less off is the Senate, there was to much of the Senate and not enough of the action.

I think they should have used the Senate parts to break up the Action parts, not the Action parts to break up the Senate parts.

Return to “The Star Wars Saga”