Discussion about anything related to the SAGA movie releases (OT & PT).

Moderators: MistaBinks, Yakface.com Staff

By YAK_Jayson
No, this is not a rumor, This. Is. Real. StarWars.com has confirmed the rumor that has been running rampant over the last 2 days – J.J. Abrams (Star Trek) will direct the seventh installment in the Star Wars saga. Visit the Official Site for more info.
Wow I thought he denied the rumor not so long ago saying he was already committed to the Star Trek franchise.

That's bad news for me, I hate his way of filming and I'm absolutely not a fan of pretty much everything he's done.
By JediMerc
I'm alright with this. He's shown that he can create the 80's feel in his movies---Super 8---and that he can motivate his actors to develop good on-screen chemistry, which is really what SW needs again so badly. His experience with Star Trek will help (as it provides experience in creating a realistic universe that still "wide open" to all of us, much like we felt when seeing ANH, TESB, and ROTJ. His experience with CGI should also help greatly, as I don't recall any of his recent films looking as cartoonish as the actors standing against green screens in the PT did (so that's a plus).

Abrams may not be the greatest director, but he loves the franchise and will definitely help to create more interesting characters, have them interact more effectively than Lucas did with the PT (esp. with Michael Arndt scripting), and we will definitely be getting some awesome action sequences.

If the writing/plot is effective, we get a solid cast, and that cast's chemistry is good, then Abrams' impact takes a backseat. His job will be a whole heck of a lot easier if those other three factors are taken care of before initial filming begins early next year.
By jedistyle
im ok with abrams taking on this project. i also liked the new startrek movie and it is also the only startrek movie ive liked...aside from the familiar chrecters, ship and movie name that startrek movie could have been a completley diffrent space adventure film...

unless this new trilogy is going tpo be set in the njo way intpo the future of the sw universe i have absolutley no desire to see any of the old actors back. im hoping to see a completely diffrent story line that dosnt envolve them. id be ok with a boba fett oriented story, but otherwise i vote all new....
By Incom
Good choice imho. I'd like to think how rumours of TESB would've been 'judged' if we had internet back then like we do now...

~~~~ f l a s h b a c k ~~~~

Irvin Kershner?! For real?! Dude, that guy from S*P*Y*S* and The Return of a Man Called Horse?! LOLZ! This episode V will be the worst sequel of all time!!

What I'm saying is, I'll wait and see. I'm glad GL hands the megaphone to someone else and Abrams is more than capable. But on the other hand, with a fan base like Star Wars has..... he can only fail... Unless those nay-sayers just embrace the fact that we're getting new SW movies!
By Raylen
I'm a little on the fence with this. I really like a lot of Abrams work...BUT I feel like they picked him simply because he's a big name and popular now. I don't think he's the RIGHT choice. I have seen no evidence that he can make the next film FEEL like Star Wars. This new trilogy needs to fit a certain mold. Not saying he can't do that but this just feels wrong somehow. Many its because he's helmed Trek too and one guy getting to helm the two biggest sci fi franchises ever seems like an evil trick of a cruel universe that would like to spit in the face of every other director in existence.
My pick would've been Joe Johnston. Hands on experience with SW, experience with Disney, has voiced his desire to make a SW film, and if you look at his films... they are all FUN films. They all have adventure, excitement, and a real popcorn movie feel.

Just noticed on the home page that the prequels in 3D have been postponed. My positive attitude toward the Disney acqusition is starting to wane. The work is pretty much done. The money for development has been spent. Sure they are the prequels, but they've gotten what is perhaps the least popular outta the way. It can only go up from here.
By Paulskywalker
Well the 3D gimmick has gone stale yet again, but this is a rumour so who knows. Hasbro at the UK Toy Fair seemed to think it was going ahead and there was that timetable last week.

Raylen i think it's unfair to make that kind of statement already, for one he did say the Trek movie was influenced by the OT. And to say just because he's popular is unfair too as he's popular for a reason. Maybe it's just the thought of him having a hand in both major franchises that is making it off for people, bit silly to think that though; why can't he be involved in both.
By Raylen
Paulskywalker wrote:Raylen i think it's unfair to make that kind of statement already, for one he did say the Trek movie was influenced by the OT. And to say just because he's popular is unfair too as he's popular for a reason. Maybe it's just the thought of him having a hand in both major franchises that is making it off for people, bit silly to think that though; why can't he be involved in both.

I don't think its unfair. Yes he is popular for a reason. However, it feels as if that was popularity was a primary reason for him being chosen, NOT because he was the right "fit". To compare it to Trek is tough. You could say that it completely doesn't fit the look and style of the other films. But, by the same token it was a reboot of sorts. If he made a SW film that looked that vastly different stylisticly (from the previous films), I think people would be upset. Is that what he's going to do? Probably not but I'm still going to be a little apprehensive.

Take for example: Tim Burton. You don't hire Tim Burton to make a film and not expect it to LOOK like a Tim Burton film. Same can be said for some other directors as well. They have a style and pretty much stick with it. I have no beef with Abrams. As I said I'm a fan of his work. My question is: can Abrams make a film that looks and feels like a George Lucas film? THAT's what I want and I'm sure many other fans would agree. If we were talking a reboot, or even perhaps a stand alone film in the SW universe, by all means, change it up. It could be really cool. The trick here is that this is a trilogy trilogy. Its part of an epic and I want to feel like its cohesive.

I read some comics and they often have different artists. Some will draw characters that look quite a bit different from the artist in the previous issue. I may like both interpertations, but there's no consistancy and its noticable. I'd like to go in a never have the glaring impression that this isn't Lucas. And John Williams damn well better score this thing!
Black Spire Outpost- WIP

Very inspiring! Makes me want to get back into ge[…]

Target Exclusive Gamorrean Guard

:lol: LOL, no 2 gammoreans already. I woul[…]

Mimban Stormtrooper

Good point, I've noticed a figure stained before t[…]

Star Wars Hot Wheels

I love this line, because I can actually collect s[…]

Community fodder box...

Sure, I'll toss a few bucks in there. Canada shi[…]

Load the Barge!

Bib Fortuna (new sculpt) Tessek (new sculpt) […]