Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By Incom
For future pics of my customs, I'd like to add realistic looking lightsabers/blaster bolts, like Chewie and many others do in their photonovels.

I use Photoshop Elements 4.0 and have tried the gaussian blur with several layers, but so far not to my satisfaction.

Any help would be much appreciated.
By BrentS
I've got a couple pages bookmarked at home on this topic. When I get home tonight, I'll copy over the links. I was able to use them to make the special effects in the Duel of the Sith series using Photoshop Elements.
By Incom
Hey BrentS, that'd be cool. I appreciate it :D
By Incom
Thanks for the info BrentS! I went to work immediately last night, but I just couldn't get the effect at all :( Must be my inexperience with Photoshop Elements.

I tried the bluesfear link, but at the point where I have to use the Inner Shadow Layer Style, I'm stuck. It appears my Layer Style menu doesn't feature any style!

The earthlink tutorial uses a different program, but I followed up your advice on Googleing for the effect. Wow, I must be a real dumbass, because there's so many links about this :shock: .

Anyway, after going through various tutorials that mostly talk about an Outer Glow effect (which I can't find either in my Elements) I managed to do quite nicely with this tutorial:

http://www.newearthonline.co.uk/index.p ... rticle=129

Here's the result of my efforts on my Koto Vader:

I used a couple of more duplicates than the 2 mentioned in the article. I think this will work nicely for me.

By the way, I saw that you created your comic version of your PN with Comic Book Creator. Just got my copy in the mail for roughly $13. Will try that soon!

Thanks again, mate!
By BrentS
I love comic book creator. Its really a great too.

Anyway, for outer glow. Its a layer style option. Here is a pic where I circled it:

You have to use the drop down menu to find it.

Good luck

P.S. The Koto saber looks great.
By Incom
Aha! So Photoshop Elements truly is as powerful as the Emperor has foreseen :wink:

Thanks for pointing out that drop down menu to me.
By Incom
Here's another try at a lightsaber. I put a bit of perspective in this one and instead of choosing a linear or colour dodge, I picked "vivid light". This is pretty fun to do! I also came across an option to add some noise in the saber glow, which reminded me of the later Marvel comics. Sweet.

By Darth Kikinou
I'm working with something called "Gimp" (no, not unspeakable activities, but an image editing program) which has a plugin I found here that allows you to create lightsabre coronas... here's what it did for me....

A big "meh". That's how I feel about it, there's just something not quite right about it. And this is after an hour or so of experimenting with different variable permutations. Any thoughts on what the problem may be? Thanks!
By Incom
I don't see any big issues with your saber. The only "error" I noticed, is that the hilt and blade are not in one line. The blade tips over to the left a bit. Plus, there's a shadow of the blade on his arm :wink:

When I make a lightsaber in Photoshop, I use a pic of the figure with only the hilt in his/her/its hand. That way, I can make my blade as thick/thin as I want and I don't have to worry about the blade's shadow.

I draw a white line to begin with, starting over the hilt, so I can get the blade angled parallel to the hilt quite easily.

Hope this helps and I should make some more sabers too again :D
By Darth Kikinou
Thanks Incom, you're right, I need to take the snap without the blade that way I don't have to make the overlay overly wide to cover up the plastic blade. That's what the problem was, duh :) However, should the blade still not cast a shadow?
By Incom
I don't think so, because it's a blade of pure energy :)
By Darth Kikinou
Your point is well taken, hrm, but if I'm not mistaken, shadows and shade are generated when there is an object obstructing the light's path, and hence unless light can penetrate the blade as if it were not there, then in my humble opinion I believe there should still be a shadow :) On the other hand, if the light that the blade itself generates compensates for the blocked light, then not only should there be no shadow, but the Jedi's whole upper body should be further illuminated.

I think you're right, it's best to simply have no shadow and no further illumination due to the blade's brightness :) This basically then implies that regular light passes through the blade and that the blade's brightness does not reflect upon the surroundings.

Oi, K.I.S.S. ... Keep It Simple Stupid :)
By Incom
:lol: Well, I wanted to show a pic of Qui Gon and Maul on Tatooine, but saw shadows of their sabers on the sand! However, in other duel pics the shadows weren't there. Lightsabers are illuminating though. I can't really recall any specific scenes from the movies, but in comics, Jedi and Sith occasionally find themselves in the dark and use their saber to light the way so to speak.

When I photoshop a saber, I make it as wide as the emitter on the hilt. That should be just the right size. I also like to put some perspective in the blade, for instance, when the saber is pointed towards the viewer of the pic :wink:
By Arc_Trooper77
Can someone set up a guide on how to do this with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6?

Dang, and I thought that was going to be an easy […]

Community fodder box...

Box arrived, I havent had time to go threw it tho[…]

The Dark Crystal (Funko) 3.75 line

Received an email from Amazon updating my Dark Cry[…]

I make stuff too!

Productive weekend. This'll be the last new custom[…]

Silvasu Fi p63 / Index p1

You must have quite the collection of bodiless clo[…]

Here is my attempt at a character that may or may […]

Funko Reaction Maria (robot)

Thought this Maria robot figure from the movie Met[…]