Image Image Image Image Image

Want to buy Vintage

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

TradeFederationSympathy
Pod Racer

Want to buy Vintage

Postby TradeFederationSympathy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Hey guys I am interested in buying a Vintage boxed figure. I currently don't have any packaged vintage figures but I would like to add one to my collection. I was hoping that one of you could help me find a site that sells legit, good figures for a reasonable price. Should I just use ebay? I'm timid about using Ebay because I don't want to unknowingly buy a fake. I'm hoping to get a figure from 1977. Any advice?
JediJman
Trandoshan Bounty Hunter

Re: Want to buy Vintage

Postby JediJman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:08 pm

TradeFederationSympathy wrote:Hey guys I am interested in buying a Vintage boxed figure. I currently don't have any packaged vintage figures but I would like to add one to my collection. I was hoping that one of you could help me find a site that sells legit, good figures for a reasonable price. Should I just use ebay? I'm timid about using Ebay because I don't want to unknowingly buy a fake. I'm hoping to get a figure from 1977. Any advice?

You can post in the classifieds here and see if anyone can help you out. Otherwise, I'd either go to Ebay or try the Rebelscum forums. They have a massive vintage classifieds section. a lot of vintage collectors there, so you probably won't find huge bargains, but you can verify feedback with traders/sellers more accurately. Hope that helps!

Do you have a specific figure you're looking for? I have a few ROTJ extras if you're interested...

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
-- Albert Einstein

YAK_Jayson
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Jayson » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:16 pm

I think ebay is pretty reliable for vintage and is usually the best indicator of market value. When I've shopped for mine I tend to buy from sellers who've completed a lot of transations and are communicative.

Another thing to do is search for completed sales of the item you're looking for to see the kinds of price range you're looking to be in. It'll help you from over paying or underpaying for something that might not be what it says it is.

Like JediJman says, the forum here and at RS have the trading sections with the added benefit of their feedback threads.

Hope this helps, good luck on your vintage huntin'
Last edited by YAK_Jayson on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayson
Yakface Reporter/Reviewer/Photographer/Toyguide Manager
Member of the JediDefender Twin Cities Collector Club

Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on our Facebook page.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate... hate leads to incessant complaining.
TradeFederationSympathy
Pod Racer

Postby TradeFederationSympathy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Thanks guys that was a lot of help. Thank you for the offer on the ROTJ figs, but I think I'm gonna try to pick up something from the earlier years, specifically ANH figs.
Jedi534
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Jedi534 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:42 am

TradeFederationSympathy wrote:Thanks guys that was a lot of help. Thank you for the offer on the ROTJ figs, but I think I'm gonna try to pick up something from the earlier years, specifically ANH figs.

If you are looking for MOC, be ready to shell out some $$$. But if you can handle a few bends or creases on the card, you can get lucky. I just picked up a beater 12a Ben Kenobi for under $40. It displays perfectly.
"Heck, Everybody Claimin' Star Wars These Days! All These Trendy Muthas Gonna Drive Me To Claim Jason Of Star Command!
YAK_Jayson
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Jayson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Personally I love the cardbacks to have a little "character". Creases, veins or a bubble dent or two, to me, show that someone before me collected these and appreciated the intrinsic value versus them squirreled them away for a later "investment".
Jayson
Yakface Reporter/Reviewer/Photographer/Toyguide Manager
Member of the JediDefender Twin Cities Collector Club

Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on our Facebook page.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate... hate leads to incessant complaining.
JediJman
Trandoshan Bounty Hunter

Postby JediJman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 pm

YAK_Jayson wrote:Personally I love the cardbacks to have a little "character". Creases, veins or a bubble dent or two, to me, show that someone before me collected these and appreciated the intrinsic value versus them squirreled them away for a later "investment".

I'll take minty fresh over character every time. :wink:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
-- Albert Einstein

TradeFederationSympathy
Pod Racer

Postby TradeFederationSympathy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am

I'd be willing to have a few dents and stuff as long as it isn't too drastic. I don't want a horribly yellowed bubble tho, I want it to be somewhat nice.
Niktom
Imperial Alchemist

Postby Niktom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 pm

I would have to second what everyone else is saying plus add a couple other things...

I love picking mine up at conventions, flea markets and local dealers. You get to see them first hand and can examine what your about to buy. Sure they are often a bit pricier but I feel the hands on convinence is worth it. Plus, they usually will come off the price some especially if you start waving cash in their face.

Another option that I have been really pleased with is The Earth Toy Mall

http://www.theearthtoymall.com/stwato.html

They grade well, price fairly, and have great customer service. I've actually had them describe a carded figure to me over the phone while I was looking at the picture online. They also have a tendency to pick up some pretty cool stuff every now and then.
Always looking for Vintage Star Wars Holiday Special Items
Visit YaksPub.com

Return to “Kenner”