Image Image Image Image Image

Sticky Vintage Star Wars Figure Solutions.

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

Greedofraggle
Midi-Chlorian

Sticky Vintage Star Wars Figure Solutions.

Postby Greedofraggle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of a way to get vintage figures to loose the sticky, oiliness some of them develop over time? I've tried washing them in warm water with dish soap ( since they feel greasy ) but that doesn't seem to work. It cleans them up a bit but the stickiness is still there. Even some of the more modern figures get like this.

I figure this all has to do with the chemical mixes of individual figures cuz they don't all go through this... kinda like the way some package blisters will yellow & some won't.

So, does anyone know of some solution to this? I couldn't find much when I Googled this. :-)
The Professor
Forum Admin

Re: Sticky Vintage Star Wars Figure Solutions.

Postby The Professor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about. A few of my Jurassic Park figures from the late 90s developed this problem. I've heard of solutions for yellowing figures using peroxide and sunlight, but I haven't heard anything about this. Not to dissuade you from posting here, but there's an excellent Vintage community over at Rebel Scum. The rules on that particular forum are pretty loose, so you can probably just post a new topic with the question. In my experience, that particular community on Rebel Scum is incredibly helpful.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/postlist.p ... Board=UBB1

Be sure to post back here with the results!
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
Greedofraggle
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Greedofraggle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:41 pm

The Professor wrote:I know exactly what you're talking about. A few of my Jurassic Park figures from the late 90s developed this problem. I've heard of solutions for yellowing figures using peroxide and sunlight, but I haven't heard anything about this. Not to dissuade you from posting here, but there's an excellent Vintage community over at Rebel Scum. The rules on that particular forum are pretty loose, so you can probably just post a new topic with the question. In my experience, that particular community on Rebel Scum is incredibly helpful.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/postlist.p ... Board=UBB1

Be sure to post back here with the results!

I've heard about the yellowing thing too. I thought somebody actually made a product for that. It seems tricky though.

Sometimes washing the figures as I did helps, I'm wondering if it'll pass in time, like maybe the goo will seep out and the figure will be... well, less gooey at least.

Actually, I did post this very thread on 'Scum. You're the only one who bit though. Thanks. :D
The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 pm

You know, washing with warm water and soap probably helps! I almost think it has to do with the paint. The new Jabba has a similar problem.
Greedofraggle
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Greedofraggle » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:08 pm

The Professor wrote:You know, washing with warm water and soap probably helps! I almost think it has to do with the paint. The new Jabba has a similar problem.

I think it's a bit of both... or both things can be sticky. With the vintage figures, it's always the PVC plastic for the arms & legs. One of my Voolviv Mons's chest armor has a slight tackiness to it. I think the best thing for me to do is to not worry about it. :-) But I did notcie that the warm water & dish soap helped some.
The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:37 pm

I sorted through my figures today, and my 2004 Jedi Luke's legs were somewhat sticky. With the rash of already yellowed Clone Troopers arriving in the stores recently, it seems that the use of cheaper plastic is hindering their durability. As "new" as plastics really are, it's hard to gauge the long term effects of wear and tear or just regular decomposition for that matter. Who knows if the figures of the 1970s to the present will be able to survive in recognizable form for a hundred years? Then again, they might live forever!

Return to “Kenner”