Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Diorma construction and overall design of the project is discussed here.
By YAK_Chewie
Well this is the month we are supposed to get get cracking on some construction. Some assignments have been given out by Ryan -

BrentS- Using the doubled up foamcore and drywall texture make a rough looking Adobe/Mud hut type building, complete with paint.

CloneCommander1- Using Styrofoam and plaster (or whatever texture you used on your Mygeeto bridge) build an adobe/mud hut type building that you would see in one of the settlements. Complete with paint of course.

Joerhyno- Using doubled up foamcore and some matte paint, but no texture, create a city building that appears to be made out of steel or some other smooth material.

Famine - Do the same as Joerhyno, but make yours glossy.

Ryan - I’ll be making a building that looks like concrete, using foamcore and spray on texture that has been sanded down.

Everyone has some great ideas here and it should give us a better idea of what will work for this and what won't. I am going to try and create a random building or something too, and perhaps even a small scale diorama to give us an idea of the actual landscape.

:wink:
By BrentS
Ah hah, this thread is back.... anyway, posted from another thread:

The UGP threads are still being developped here at YAK. However, I thought the diorama place might be a good place to start and my work in progress.

My assignment was to make an adobe hut building. I liked the way Ryan's concept drawing (Click Here) turned out so I selected to make it. I'm deviating from Ryan's tutorial in many ways (bad Brent, bad). I'm using a material called "Mightycore". Its thicker and stronger than foamcore (about 1/8th inch thicker I'd say). I'm using it because I can get large scraps for free at work. Sweet. With the extra thickness, I decided that i didn't need to double wide the walls. They'd also be almost too thick. I'm also using a glue gun (because I'm too impatient to wait for woodglue to dry). I'm also not using miter corners (bad Brent bad). However, since my dwelling will be covered in adobe (i.e. spackle) I can cover up the foam corners.

Anyway, here is the base structure as assembled:

Some of my cuts were a little too rough on the roof. However, again I can clean those up with the spackle. Also, this is a proof of concept building not necessarily a final dwelling. (Although, I hope to use it at least in my PNs).

Next up, I need to add the spackle and add the wooden polls.

I'll put together a tutorial as I add more to it.
By YAK_Chewie
Very good Brent. I like the real world feel it has, but it still doesn't look too earth link. When it's done some added small electronic looking parts on the sides might really look good on it.

By BrentS
I worked on my concept building last night a little. I took about an inch off the bottom of the building to make the doors and window more to scale. Incidently, I never noticed but 3.75" figures are actually a little taller than 4" (at least my ROTS Ki Adi Mundi was).

I didn't get a chance to take pictures last night but I'll try to update with pictures soon. My plan is to try and get it spackled up and painted over the weekend. I'll add the details like to door and wooden beams at the end.
By YAK_Chewie
Looking very forward to it Brent.

I am in the process of finishing my basement, so I am having a hard time getting away from that. As soon as I do, I'll try and make a mock building or two.

By BrentS
Here is my WIP with the smaller scale walls. I added smaller door that is offset from the main wall. I also added a little ledge to the window because I felt like it needed something! I'm much happier with the scale like this.

I've got the walls all spackled up and drying tonight.

By master_phruby
As I said over at JD, this is much better in scale with the figures. The little details like the window edge gives it more character. The roof line looks good and I like the little piece on the roof. These things give the building some character.

I would like everyone to remember when building the structures to try and stay away from making the exact prefab warehouse office complex style that you see in a lot of sci-fi shows. In reality, people's houses are a reflection of their personality. Houses are different colors and have different landscapes and architectural details. I don't see the inhabitants of this town living in block communist housing.
By YAK_Chewie
Great update on this building Brent. It looks much more in scale now to Star Wars I think. I don't know what your plans are for details on it, but I'd go with attaching some sort of metal looking devices to show some sort of alien technology to go with it, perhaps some sort of generator or whatnot.

By BrentS
Good comments Chewie. As far as the metal parts, etc. The dwelling is supposed to be an adobe building type thing. Any amount of "technology" will have to be minimal I think.
By BrentS
Hope you guys don't mind the incremental WIPs in this thread. If you want me to update them some where else I can. In the meantime. Here is the building with a coat of spackle and first layer of tan paint. A couple of custom figures are thrown in too boot.

By Ryan
Just a reminder, all building samples are due next Monday, August 28th.
By BrentS
Chewie - yes, I was planning (and have implemented as you'll see) a slightly different color scheme.

Here is the dwelling with the second coat of darker wash. I elected to go with a darker tone on the roof than the walls just to try to add some extra character. There is a picture of the front and the back.

I've also started the construction of some of the metal accents for the building. There is a metal support piece that I felt like needed to be there to support the overhang. I will add some "bolts" to this as well and paint it up. I've also added a "Star Wars Style" door to the entry way. Both of these additions were created with styrene strips ands sheets.

I think its all starting to come together. I'm not sure these are my best photos. I think it looks better in person.

In unrelated other news. I've been PMing other members of the diorama crew (Clone Commander, Joerhyno, Famine, and Ryan). They are all working on their assignments. Hopefully everyone will have something to show by the deadline of Monday Aug 28th. :D
By YAK_Chewie
Brent that is looking better and better each time you update it.

I like the gutter a lot... what color are you thinking? Perhaps a dark silvery-gray?

Also the door looks great, it has the Star WArs feel to it. Kind of mixing technology with a primative dwelling.

Some sort of pipes or something running along up the side of the building might be a good idea.

Thanks for keeping on this and showing your progress.

Walmart and TVC

Picked up my final Tank Driver a few night ago tha[…]

Solo: 3.75" Figures Revealed

Really looking forward to the next wave with Becke[…]

Community fodder box...

Does anyone know what size box we are using right […]

ImperialOfficer's customs

Ugh, I have finished so many customs and haven't h[…]

Fodder Alert!

Might be a long shot, but if anyone has Neca Preda[…]

Yakfinities #69 - CRIMINALS