Image Image Image Image Image

UGP - Construction/Design - update your pics here!

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:57 am

Major Update.

I'm going to call this Building 99% finished. The pictures reveal there is some touch up painting still to do. However for all practical purposes, lets say its finished:

The sand base was something from my PNs. I just wanted to get the floor some context. I realize the sandbox is too small :D

and just for fun, with some customs of mine...

Even though its actually Saturday morning, I'm going to say I hit the original deadline of Aug 25 :D

Any comments, criticisms, questions, etc, etc, let me know.
Ryan
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Ryan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting my post from JD:

Just a reminder to the dio team: The final deadline for these samples is Tomorrow (Monday) at 11:59 PM Mountain time, since I'm Mountain. Please do whatever you can to get them done.

I've made a bunch of progress on mine today. I got all the walls up and glued together, covered up all the corners so no foam is showing, textured it, and applied the base coat of paint. All that really leaves me to do is finish up that paint job, add on a few greeblies, finish the last few details on the roof, paint the roof, and glue it on. Baring some sort of emergency this will be done in time. :)
Ryan
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Ryan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting myslef from JD again...

I'll go ahead and explain what exactly it is you are looking at. When I assigned this project I said something simple would be just fine. I wanted to avoid any windows so I could skip making an interior. In order to do that I had to think of a building that wouldn't have any need for windows, so I elected to make some sort of water pump house/power generator building. I did a quick google image search to get some reference. From the shots I saw most were all very simple and had no windows and a fairly simple design.

The tank on the side is supposed to be some sort of coolant or gas that the generator inside would use. The little panels are supposed to be some of the internal workings. The gizmo in the ottom right of the front side is some sort of Water/Electrical line, with a little meter so the techs can take readings of it from the outside. The door unfortunately doesn't open. I cut the doorwar in the outer layer of foamcore and then scored the inside along the seam of the door, to give the illusion it was a working door but it was just closed. As for the doorway on the back, you may have noticed it was sealed off. I didn't want to have a flat wall back there, but at the same time I didn't want a second door, so I added a doorway that just appears to be sealed off, as if the is equipment behind it. The roof is supposed to simulate sheets of steel. I used poster board, and then I scored the foamcore, like I did with the door.

The texture of concrete was achieved with a spray on drywall spackling, and then knocked down with a putty kinfe. And then sanded down a little to get it closer to scale. There are a few different layers of color, and the pictures don't really show the waethering too well, but I did elect to go a little light on it.

Let me know what you guys think. :)

CC1- Your's is looking pretty good. I really like how the texure and paint turned out. That's exactly what I was hopong for when I assigned that style to you. The canvas curtains and awning look great. I'm not sure that I like the walls being in four seperate pieces, it doesn't seem like there is any practical reason for it so it just looks kind of goofy. Keep us apprised of the roof, and post it as soon as you can. Thanks for at least posting what you have.

Joe and Kevin you guys have any progrss pictures at least?

Check out the rest of the pictures at JD.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:50 am

Brent your building is fantastic. It really has a great feel to it and I think it's great for the UGP. The color/texture are outstanding and I really like the gutter. The door has a true Star Wars feel to it, especially the little panel on the side. Very well constructed, a few homes like this will really make the UGP something special.

CloneCommander1 also make this -

It is not complete yet as he has work to do on the roof. But I think it's a great start and I like the awning over the door, really a good touch. What I would suggest, if possible, is taking the outer walls and moving them inward a bit so they do not stick out on the sides. For the roof, I am not sure how to go about that since the front of the building is curverd - without making a structure frame underneathe the roof if might be difficult. May I suggest some sort of awning? Perhaps the top of this building is more like a tent? I like how this seems almost like a slave quarters, very well done. Perhaps several slaves or peasants live in this dwelling.

Ryan, your building is nothing short of fantastic. I can totally see this as some sort of pump/generator building. I love the slanted roof, this building is very structurally sound and look at the cutout you did for the electronic board! The tank on the side is great too. Very well done.

Way to go guys, excellent work and thank you for the update! I believe Joerhino and Famine have some soon to show too?

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:09 pm

So last night in the UGP chat over at JD, we discussed the possibilty of vase-trees. Some seemed to like it, others weren't sure. My idea was for in the town area, for there to be some sort of publically planted trees in vases. Kind of like the stuff you see outside an office or a mall, where plants are in concrete pots. Here's a pic of what I am referring to.

And in a photonovel I am working on, I decided to try something like that, using the cantina tables that come with some figures. I thought the tables are way too small to really be considered tables, so all I did was drill a hole in the top of them and stick in some fake tree stuff.

For example -

Thoughts on this idea? They don't take up much room at all and I think would add a realistic touch to the planet. They are the easiest thing to make.

BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:30 pm

Copied from Jedi Defender. Ryan, the Diorama Construction Project Leader:

Alright guys I know you are anxious to get started on the next set of samples. This time around we are all going to be making the wilderness terrain samples. This is going to be a little less structured than the last time in terms of the specifics I'll be assigning. Just so were are clear on this now these samples WILL NOT be used in the final project, they are just so we can begin to get some direction as to what we want this to look like.

So what I want everyone to do is make their own sample using whatever materials you want, just remember that it may need to be replicated on a large scale so try and avoid anything that is incredibly time consuming or expensive. That being said, don't go skimping on this either, we want to make it look as good as we can get it.

There are a few requirements for these samples, most of which will make much more sense when they are applied to the final project. The first thing that needs to be the same on everyone's sample is the base. What I want is for everyone to use a foamcore box that is 1.5" tall. This is just practice for the final product. When it is assembled we want a very sturdy base with an even height. The box also allows for the use of negative terrain. Be sure to support the box very well on the inside. Wood would have been ideal to use as a base, because it is quite sturdy, but it is way too heavy to ship. Foamcore bases will give us strength without much weight. Once you have a box built feel free to do whatever you want on top. Negative terrain is alright as long as it isn't any deeper that 1". So if you want to put a pond in the middle feel free to cut into the base and build it in.

The other requirement is the size, I'm not going to limit how big these can be, I'll leave that up to you guys, but remember they need to done by the deadline. But I am going to put a minimum size on these to insure that we have samples that are big enough to see. The smallest I want to see is 6" x 6" x 1.5" tall. That shouldn't be too hard.

Again feel free to put whatever you want on top. Remember we are going for a Dantooine type look, so try and incorporate that in if possible. This isn't going to be a sand planet so I don't want to see any samples that look like Tatooine. They aren't required but try and get some sort of tree, bush, boulder, shrubbery, or other plant life in there. What that combination is, is completely up to you guys.

Looking at the Dio-team roster I expect samples from the following people:

Myself
BrentS
Daigo-Bah
CloneCommander1
Joerhyno
patreektherodian
Famine

Anyone not on that list is also welcome to make a sample.

The deadline for these is going to be October 9th. That is a bit later than I would have liked to set it but I don’t think 3 weeks will be enough time judging by the last time. That date may change in the next few days though so keep watching the thread here. If anything it will be moved closer to the beginning of October or the end of September. It WILL NOT be delayed anymore, so don’t expect an extension.

Let's get crackin!

If anyone here at Yak wants to participate, please send me a PM.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm in, plus I'll send you a PM if needed.

BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:35 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:... plus I'll send you a PM if needed.

Nah, I just really intended that for anyone that I didn't already know would be interested in the project. I'll tell Ryan that you will be submitting a sample too. Great to have your help Chewie.

Are you going to use that railroad turf stuff you mentioned awhile back??
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Yeah, I think I will try and use that stuff. I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, but will make sure I do soon.

roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:43 am

Don't know if this fits in the what Ryan is wanting over at JD, but I want to get some input before I continue and finish this plant. My idea was for it to be like a strawberry plant with runners to spread. If you every grown strawberries you know what I mean. Also this versatile in the sense that it can be a plant or tree.

Size of it is about waist high on a Stormtrooper. If you want I can snap a shot with a figure for size. Also I have some other ideas for trees and plants, which I should have pictures for everyone to see in a week or two. What do you guys think?
roron corobb
My Feedback Links: Classifieds or Trading
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:34 pm

I like the "strawberry" I think it definitely could have a home in the diorama. Maybe a farm of them in the outskirts? Is that made from sculpy? My only fear is that I'd be worried of it breaking.

I also think that you could add some texture to the "heart" and add some veins around the leaves. However, I definitely think it should be painted up as a prototype!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Where did you get that Roron? Or did you make it from sculpy? I think it's fantastic and would like to see a few plants like that in the diorama. You can count on Chewie's vote on this one.

Darth_Ennis
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Darth_Ennis » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm

I think it's excellent myself. I would definately like to see it painted. Hoe fragile is it?
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:57 pm

Thanks guys for the kind words. Over at JD they have their minds in the gutter, so I'm going to rework it and maybe make it a little smaller.

Yes, it is super sculpy. I haven't baked it yet so I don't know how fragile it will be. If it's to fragile, I'll use some of my other sculpy I have or move to that FIXIT stuff, but I'll have to order that.

As for adding detail, I was planning on it, but I didn't want to put too much work in it if no one like it. The color I had in mind was greenish yellow center with red or purple inside the center and maybe something different for the leaves like greenish brown. When I have it reworked I'll post some pictures. I'm going to make three for starters.

Brent, I like the farm idea, but when I made it I was thinking wild. Just didn't think of it like that, so it would work for both.

What do you guy think plant vs tree? I can add a trunk to it, if you want to see what that looks like. Thanks again for the input.
roron corobb
My Feedback Links: Classifieds or Trading
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:30 pm

I like it better as a plant actually, I don't think it really needs a trunk/wood. I think your concept is very good as it is, and the colors you have in mind are good too.

Return to “UGP: Ultimate Group Project (2007)”