Image Image Image Image Image

UGP - Construction/Design - update your pics here!

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Darth Nirvana
Nerf Herder

Postby Darth Nirvana » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:36 pm

roron corobb wrote:Over at JD they have their minds in the gutter

Hey! I said I liked it! :x
:wink: jk roron I'm not mad.

Anyways, I really think this will look right at home painted in the colors you described. I also think that this shouldn't have a trunk, but rather a cover of gorund foliage of some sorts.

Good job!
My whole expanse...I cannot see...
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 pm

I decided to go over there and see what was said about the plant. Actually I didn't think a dirty thought about it at all, and I saw the comment made comparing it to a rather disgusting sculpture.

Here we are trying to get sponsors... I'd like to see what sponsor is going to want their name associated with that? That could bomb the whole project. I am glad that a mod there or the original poster deleted that picture.

I also hope that everyone continues to try and use our imaginations to make this constructive not try and just joke about it so I am sorry Roron that member acted that way. After what you did is painted I don't think anyone would get the the dirty ideas any more.

Here is an example of it painted possibly.

Good work Roron, thank you for your hard work.

:wink:
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:19 pm

Darth Nirvana,
I wasn't singling out anyone. Plus I think I'm going to try your idea about the foliage.

Thanks Chewie for sticking up for me, but I was going to change some things with it anyway.

Anyway, here is another plant. Like the first, but smaller and more like a cactus with added detail to the leaves.

This one is easier to make too. I might even use silk foliage for the leaves even, would save time on making them also. I just ran out of time to make the other two to show the strawbarry idea, but I hope to be able to show that tomorrow. Let me know what you think.
roron corobb
My Feedback Links: Classifieds or Trading
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:29 pm

No problem at all Roron.

I like this one too, maybe even moreso than the first. The little needle things really give it more of a dangerous plant feel to it. I might suggest 4 leaves instead of 3 though?

master_phruby
Nerf Herder

Postby master_phruby » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:02 am

roron corobb wrote:Thanks guys for the kind words. Over at JD they have their minds in the gutter, so I'm going to rework it and maybe make it a little smaller.

I took care of that little comment over at JD. I would love to see a man eating plant pod in the middle of a bunch of these eating a stormtrooper. Another idea could be what if these things where really giant alien eggs disguised as plants? A stormtrooper could be looking down at one as it opens. Maybe something on a spring could pop out? Just something to show that the native plant life may be a little dangerous. Heck, these pods could be a way for the Empire to make more stormtroopers. (ie. Invasion of the body snatchers)
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true but because of the distance, not for a million years.
This message is brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:33 pm

Thanks also phruby. I read that idea over at JD about the man eating plant. I think I have an idea for that too. I might have something to show by next week. I don't know about the bodies snatcher idea, but I can work on something like that too.

Right know I'm working on the best way to make these easier and maybe even castable. That way we can have many of them for a large area or patch of them. I hope to have something before Thursdays chat to talk about. Thanks again for all the help.
roron corobb
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Had to take a break from the plants, so I don't know if I'll have them done by Thursday for the chat. I did however whip up a tree in about 15 min. munis drying time. This is only one idea I have, so I still have more if no one likes this one.
What do you guy think? Plus keep in mind it's only a mock up (15 min time to make) and I only had one color paint to use. Thanks
roron corobb
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:11 am

Roron, like I said over at JD - I like the tree a lot. I've gone out to purchase some wire to take a stab at one of these. In the meantime....

Here are some WIPs for my current assignment. I'm choosing to make a cave :)

I started with a very rough, random shape out of foam core:

Next I added some layers of Instant Paper Mache Sheets. I ran out pretty quickly so I added some instant Paper Mache on top as well.

Here's a figure to show the scale:

I've never really painted "scenary" before. Any tips for painting realistic looking rocks??????
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:18 am

Brent,
I like the cave, looks really good. Maybe you sould add something like gold or something like that to the inside. That way it could be a muck up of the mines. And I can't wait to see your take on the trees.
Harley
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:35 pm

Hey really cool updates guys. Roron, the tree looks pretty good, especially since you made it in about 15 minutes. Stuff like that takes me hours. I'm not sure about white leaves, but it's definitely interesting.

Brent, cool seeing the progress of the cave you're making. I've never used paper mache before.

For painting it, I would strongly suggest a good quality spray paint (don't go with the .99 cent cans) - krylon makes several good types of spray paint. You will want to mix in different colors though to really give it the rocky gradient. So what I would suggest is -

- spray paint it black, let it dry

- use a gray spray paint some but lightly, let it dry

- use a brown/camoflouge spray paint but lightly, let it dry

- use a silver spray paint but lightly, let it dry

- use a white spray paint but lightly, let it dry

Then go back with the other colors very lightly back and forth until you have a color that you like.

Also I did get a chance to start on my example diorama, I got the main ground on it just about done. I am using the Woodland Scenics stuff I have been talking about for a while.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:25 pm

Ok, here is my submission. I'll add in more pics when I get a chance to take them. Work has taken so much of my time lately that I am mentally drained and just haven't had the opportunity to put as much into things lately.

Here is what I did for this - fortunately I did not need to "make" much stuff for it, I am thinking that as much as we can avoid making, but still making things affordable, it will help.

1.) - I bought a piece of subfloor (like a large sheet of foamcore, but is wood) from Home Depot, the smallest sheet I could get was about 3 feet x 4 feet. For what I wanted to do, I wanted to scale it down to 2 feet x 3 feet so it could fit on the shelf I put it on. The board was 1/4 of an inch thick. I went with that instead of the 1/8 inch to avoid warping.

2.) - Then, I measured out the frame I needed for it to be. Once it was measured out, I made lines with a pencil where I needed to cut. I cut it with a heavy duty utility knife. Took me about 10 minutes to get it cut.

3.) - After that, I had a roll of Woodland Scenics ready mat that I had purchased from a hobby store for $25.00. The ready mat measures 50 inches by 100 inches, so it's huge and you get a lot for your money. It is meant to resemble grass/tundra.

4.) - After cutting the ready mat to fit onto the board, I had some styrofoam glue spray - this is a spray that you get at hobby stores made to bond styrofoam together for craft projects - it worked PERFECT for sealing the mat onto the board. Took less than a minute to get it how I wanted it.

5.) - Once the mat was secured onto the board, I flipped it upside down and traced around it using the utility knife to cut off any excess mat that I did not want.

6.) - At that point, I used a bit of spray paint here and there just to add different color texture to the mat.

7.) - The mountain background is from Michael's - it's not cheap but it really looks cool. I have bought several of them in the past and spray painted this one to give it more of a hard stone appearance. My mountain technique is not the cheap way to make them at all, but they do look good I think.

8.) - The Gun Tower is something I purchased from my friend Owen D. at www.owenscustoms.com a while back, just added it for variety

9.) - The shrubs are just cheap lichen you can get at Michael's. It's cheap and easy to use.

10) - The grassy plant is from Michael's too - they have TONS of little plants like this for pretty cheap, and so does Hobby Lobby. Might be worth getting stuff like that for cheap instead of trying to make so many of our own plants.

11) - The trees are from Kmart - Christmas scene trees actually - they had snow on them but I just repainted them to get rid of the snow.

I will take more pics of this with different angles, with figures in it. But I really wanted to show how the ready mat looked - I love it. It may not appear to look much like grass in the pic, but in person it does look more like it, and with cheap shrubbery we can flesh out the diorama wilderness rather easily I think. Plus with just 2 ready mats - we can cover an area of about 8 feet x 16 feet VERY easily and it will allow for the ground terrain to have a consistent look to it. Plus if we have a large board, a team of 3-4 people on site can probably have the main base of the terrain put together in an hour of less. To me that makes so much more sense than people trying to make a ground in several locations, ship it, and try to piece it together. For terrain like caves, trees, etc - that's a great idea. But to actually make the "ground" like that... I think that would be a terrible mistake.

Plus, there is a way to add in hills with it too, we would need a heat gun to do it but apparently it works well and is simple to do.

The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:28 pm

CHEWIE, that looks nice so far. I really like the use of the moss. It grows naturally in the woods down here and is easy to come by. Excellent idea.

Good luck to all of you working on this great project.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:01 pm

Thanks Professor! Here's some more pics as promised.

I would really, really like some feedback. I can't stress enough my concern on the landscape of this project. It was discussed in the chat tonight at JD that it looks like the roll out mat (like used here) would be good because it covers such a large area - just two of them covers 8 feet x 16 feet. That's more than enough I think and that would only cost us $50.00! We can add in trees, moutains, shrubs, patches of grass, bushes, rocks, caves, etc. onto it afer it's been laid out.

The Professor
Forum Admin

Postby The Professor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:02 am

You could also use spraypaint to highlight certain areas of the ground to give it a more textured look or even use sand. That's just an idea.
Chewie, take The Professor in back and plug him into the hyperdrive!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:52 pm

That is definitely a good idea Professor. I am thinking what we will want to do is get several ziplock backs full of different types of dirt/grassy materials, etc. to spread over certain areas. Spray paint can work very well too.

Return to “UGP: Ultimate Group Project (2007)”