Image Image Image Image Image

UGP - Landscape

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

patreektherodian
Midi-Chlorian

Postby patreektherodian » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:06 pm

I know floor plans have been made I was wondering if canyon and rock faces could be positioned in the following manner?
I am fluent in only two forms of communication
pendragon
Midi-Chlorian

Postby pendragon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Tres' Bon, Patreek! And that's all the French I know (well, that and "le fromage e dans le ciel" - long story, and probably not spelt right), so, nice job with the English...

And beautiful work on that ridge! Love the granite color & foliage 8)
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 am

I picked up some Woodland Scenics materials recently and have started to experiment. I've got the base of a model built and just need to pick up some extra details to include. I really like it! I'll get some picture by this weekend (hopefully).

I haven't forgotten about my Cave yet but I was really impressed by Ryan's sample so I wanted to give it a go!
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:39 pm

I used my newest diorama piece to show off some custom wookies in my other thread. However, the diorama was actually created based off inspiration from Ryan's work. Here are a few other shots:

I used the ready grass mat and created a few rolling hills. I added some extra turf cover and then added some of the green grass features. I'm going to finish the tree and then add some more stuff. I'll clean up around the edges of the whole thing when I'm done.

Work in progress on a tree. I used the tutorial that Roronn pointed out for a wire frame and its covered in plaster cloth strips. Waiting for it to dry and then I'll add the "foliage"using Woodland Scenics stuff.

Here is a close up of the grass with a figure in the background.

I have to agree with Ryan that I really think this Woodland Scenics stuff will be great for the diorama. I'm not sure how well the trees will turn out but for the basic "floor" I think this stuff will be great.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:20 pm

I think all this woodland scenics stuff is the way to go... starting with the Ready Matts. Great job on the grass Brent, it looks fantastic. I like the tree too!

Also check out this link for some more ideas.

http://www.brushthralls.com/RoughTerrain/index.php

:wink:
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks for that Link Chewie. My son sees me going into Gamesworkshop to buy paints and he's really gotten interested in the Citadel games. Even though he's only 7 he really wants to start painting like his dad. Anyway, long story short, I'm starting to get into the Lord of the Rings minatures too. This link looks a cool resource for gaming tabletops.
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Not my best pictures (needs more light) but you can get the idea:

I lost a lot of foliage during the drying process. I need to figure out a better way to keep the folliage clumps to stick. The Hob-e-tac is pretty good but you still need a little extra something I think.

The landscape isn't finished but I wanted to show a little incremental progress.
jedistyle
fALLeN jEdI

Postby jedistyle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 am

that looks great brent. i reall ylike the tree. it would be awsome if you had another tree with a small platform for a rebel sniper/look out. just a thought! :) but it looks great, very dantooine-ish. nice work...
=JeDiStYlE= "iT's OnLy aFtEr wE'vE LoSt eVeRyThInG, tHaT wE aRe FrEe tO dO aNyThInG......"

*In search of an HK-47 right arm if anyone has one they are willing to part with, thanks.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Brent that looks fantastic. How do you get the grass to stand like that? Also I really like the tree. Very well done.

BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks guys... The grass is the standard grass from woodland senics (I can't remember the name of it). You just cut it to length and then glue one end down (using the Hob-e-tac glue). I works great but gets messy. Kind of like having hair clippings everywhere.
jedistyle
fALLeN jEdI

Postby jedistyle » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm

so where did you get the landscape mats then chewie? does everyone think the mats are the prefered way to go for a base?
=JeDiStYlE= "iT's OnLy aFtEr wE'vE LoSt eVeRyThInG, tHaT wE aRe FrEe tO dO aNyThInG......"

*In search of an HK-47 right arm if anyone has one they are willing to part with, thanks.
BrentS
Storm Trooper

Postby BrentS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:30 pm

I bought my mat at Hobby Lobby. Most hobby shops that specialize in models and trains probably have them. You can also order directly from Woodland Scenics on the web.

Chewie, Ryan, and I all seem to be of the mindset that these should be what we use. However, there are multiple colors (shades) that are available.
patreektherodian
Midi-Chlorian

Postby patreektherodian » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:27 pm

I would say a light / yellow / green then sprinckle other shades on top?
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:04 am

Hey Patreek that's what I am thinking!

Jedistyle, yeah like Brent said, we are strong supporters of the Ready Mats. I can't see any other way for this to realistically be successful.

click here for some good ideas -

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/index.htm

patreektherodian
Midi-Chlorian

Postby patreektherodian » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:09 pm

Will i still get to do my canyons?
I posted this earlier the mats would go on the flat surfaces

Image[/img]

Return to “UGP: Ultimate Group Project (2007)”