Image Image Image Image Image

Revell Building Kit Model Reviews

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Revell Building Kit Model Reviews

Postby darthcrassus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:10 am

I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. I was particularly excited for the Episode VII Millennium Falcon as the Falcon has always been my favorite ship. The ship is available from Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125KV5TW

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody who wants an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

That said, the final product is a really nice version of the Millennium Falcon. The ship is over 8 inches long (I believe it's the largest version of the Episode VII Falcon on the market so far). The ship is very detailed. I don't have good photo references of the Falcon from the new movie, but it looks pretty accurate. The guns aren't posable, which is a shame (but the turret does rotate). However, I'd rather a gun turret that looks too accurate than one that's articulated but too big. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with lights and sounds!

The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the red and gray panels and the cockpit windows. But it doesn't have any weathering or scoring. I decided to add a black wash, which I think brings out the detail and gives it a "used" look, which is appropriate to the Falcon. Part of me thinks Revell should have included a bit more weathering in the basic paint job, but I understand that it probably needed to keep down costs (and the retail price for this model is very reasonable). Besides, it's easy enough to do yourself (this is after all a model!) and highly recommend doing so.

Another (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of the Falcon, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of the Original Trilogy Falcon during the 1990s. It cost about $10-15, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have lights and sounds. So $20 for this kit is a bargain.

If you collect Hasbro's Titanium Series, this ship is in scale with the X-Wings and TIE Fighters

NOTE: I received this model for free in exchange for an honest review.
Last edited by darthcrassus on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Darth Crassus Customs on Facebook for more of my custom Star Wars figures (https://www.facebook.com/darthcrassuscustoms)
darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Review: Revell TFA First Order TIE Fighter

Postby darthcrassus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:11 am

I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. I’ve grown to love the Special Forces TIE Fighter as a neat variation on a classic ship, so I decided to try it out. The ship is available from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125KV5RO

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody looking for an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

[img width=700 height=525]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5748/22883698756_c8a926f9de_c.jpg[/img]

That said, the final product is a nice version of the TIE Fighter. The ship is over 8 inches tall, and unlike Hasbro’s TIE Fighter this model uses nice, hard plastic (these wings won’t warp) The ship itself is very detailed. You can open the cockpit hatch, but sadly there’s no figure. The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the white wing panels and red marking, so no need to worry about paint. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with pretty good light and sound effects! The cockpit lights up red and it has shooting and flying sound effects.

One (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of the TIE Fighter, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of the Original Trilogy TIE Fighter during the 1990s. It cost about the same price, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have sounds, so the retail price for this kit is a bargain.

Visit Darth Crassus Customs on Facebook for more of my custom Star Wars figures (https://www.facebook.com/darthcrassuscustoms)
darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Review: Revell TFA Poe Dameron's X-Wing

I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. Poe Dameron’s X-Wing isn’t my favorite ship, but it seems like it’ll be one of the main ships in the new movie, so I decided to try it out. The ship is available from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125KV5T2

First of all, this is only a model in a very loose sense. The pieces aren't attached to a rack so there's no cutting required. All the pieces snap together very easily. In fact, the entire construction took less than 10 minutes. So I wouldn't really recommend this for anybody looking for an involved build. In terms of difficulty, it's probably suited more to younger kids.

That said, the final product is a really nice version of Poe Dameron’s X-Wing. The ship is over 8 inches long. It’s not as large as Hasbro’s X-Wing, but this model uses nice, hard plastic (these laser cannons won’t bend) The ship itself is very detailed. The wings expand so the ship can go into attack formation and the cockpit opens. The interior is quite detailed, but sadly there’s no figure. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with pretty good sound effects!

The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the orange stripes and the cockpit hatch. It doesn’t have any weathering or scoring, but I decided this ship looked better clean (I added a tiny bit of weathering inside the engine intakes).

The ship unfortunately isn’t entirely accurate to the film because the tips of the laser cannons are sideways. Although I’m disappointed, I honestly can’t say it takes away too much from the model. I wouldn’t even have noticed if another reviewer on Amazon hadn’t pointed it out. Truth be told, I actually prefer the laser cannons sideways. I realize this is reason enough for some people not to get the model, so hopefully Revell fixes this in the near future.

Another (tiny) complaint is that the model doesn't include a stand. It does have landing gear, which works well enough, but a stand would still have been nice to so we could display the ship in mid-flight.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of Poe Dameron’s X-Wing, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of Luke Skywalker’s X-Wing during the 1990s. It cost about $10-15, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have sounds, so $20 for this kit is a bargain.

Last edited by darthcrassus on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Review: Revell TFA Poe Dameron's X-Wing

by the way, anybody know how to change the name of this topic? It should be "Revell Building Kit Model Reviews"
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Re: Revell Building Kit Model Reviews

Postby Jodo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Great pictures of some awesome models!!! :D These are by far some of the best products out there right now.

Also, updated the title for you!
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
darthcrassus
Nerf Herder

Review: Revell TFA Resistance X-Wing

Postby darthcrassus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:57 pm

I've been getting back into model making recently. I built Bandai's excellent 6'' R2-D2 and C-3PO, but I hadn't gotten any ships from The Force Awakens yet. Unfortunately, Bandai's ship models are difficult to get in the U.S. due to a licensing dispute with Disney, so I decided to try Revell's out offerings. The Resistance X-Wing might just be my favorite variation of the X-Wing, so I decided to try it out. The model kit is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Resistance ... nce+x-wing

That said, the final product is a really nice version of the X-Wing. The ship is over 8 inches long, and unlike Hasbro’s X-Wing this model uses nice, hard plastic (these laser cannons won’t bend) The ship itself is very detailed. The wings expand so the ship can go into attack formation and the cockpit opens. The interior is quite detailed, but sadly there’s no figure. Best of all - and this was a surprise to me - the ship comes with pretty good sound effects!

The model comes partially prepainted, at least the major features like the blue stripes and the cockpit hatch. However, I admit I was a bit disappointed in the lack of weathering. I understand that Revell probably needed to keep down costs (and the retail price for this model is very reasonable), but it just seems so central to this ship. I decided to add a black wash, which I think brings out the detail and gives it a "used" look. I’m very happy with the way it turned out. I might add some more carbon scoring and streak marks like I’ve seen in the promotional photos, but I haven’t decided yet.

The ship unfortunately isn’t entirely accurate to the film because the tips of the laser cannons are sideways. Although I’m disappointed, I can’t say it takes away too from the model. I wouldn’t even have noticed if another reviewer on Amazon hadn’t pointed it out. Truth be told, I actually prefer the laser cannons sideways. I realize this is reason enough for some people not to get the model, so hopefully Revell fixes this in the near future.

If you're looking for a movie-accurate model/toy of the Resistance X-Wing, this is a good choice. It's certainly great value for your money. I remember getting the Action Fleet version of the Original Trilogy X-Wing during the 1990s. It cost about not much less than this, wasn't as accurate, and didn't have sounds, so the retail price for this kit is a bargain.

Return to “Reviews”