Show Off Your Collection!

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

12-5-14 Update

Video Tour of The Bunker

***********************************************************************************************************************************

After a year and a half of being packed up, my Star Wars collection is finally getting the display make-over it deserves. So, this thread needs a little make-over as well.

Here I'll document the building of..... THE BUNKER! My new and designed from the ground up Star Wars room.

Master Plan: This is a scale representation of the two car garage which will be converted. This plan evolved over six months. At one point it included a full bar, closet, and a sleeper sofa. However... dimension changes, layout changes, and budgeting concerns resulted in what you see below. Additionally, several "dream" items were cut to incorporate more shelving. After all... the purpose of the room is to showcase my collection.

The Garage: Future location of THE BUNKER

Interior:

PHASE ONE: Walling over the garage door and removal of old shelving.
In progress
Complete

Before
After

PHASE TWO: Painting
Finally got some painting done!

Went with gray walls and dark gray trim, both in keeping with the bunker theme.

Oops, got some on the floor...

PHASE THREE: Lighting
Got the new lighting installed. Current using Halogen and Incandescent but will switch over to LED eventually.

PHASE FOUR: Carpet
Wooo... it's starting to really feel like a room now! Went with a forest green and tan indoor/outdoor. Very tough stuff, should last a long time.

PHASE FIVE: Shelving
So close I can smell it... oh wait, that's just Ikea. 2548 lbs of Ikea to be exact.

Moved in and ready to unpack...

Starting to get a bit crowded. Collection plus Ikea.

PHASE SIX: Moving In!

Wooooo... 9 days of putting together furniture, unpacking boxes, and putting things on shelves. Still have some arranging to do, especially in the Vintage Misc area. But here it is... THE BUNKER!

Modern Section

Costumes and Sigma Ceramics

Books, Media, and Games

Gentle Giant

Zoomed out view of Vintage

Holiday Special, Boba Fett, Applause Statues, and Autographs

Vintage Carded and Figure Cases

Vintage Loose and Misc (still have a lot of work to do here)

Coffee Table for 501st Swag

Desk Area

Scout, Stormtrooper and 501st

Last but not least.... My wife had her cousin make this as a "bunker-warming" gift. It's over 3 feet tall, in the range of 150 lbs and carved by chainsaw from a solid piece of pine.
Last edited by Niktom on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Theo Zissou
very cool. i like the variety and the oddities. what's the story behind the ewok again? was it like a display in the stores next to the chips?

It's fun to see some the stuff i had or used as a kid. I remember that soap. I still have a few of those books. sadly most of my figures were sold :(
By Niktom
Theo Zissou wrote:very cool. i like the variety and the oddities. what's the story behind the ewok again? was it like a display in the stores next to the chips?

It's fun to see some the stuff i had or used as a kid. I remember that soap. I still have a few of those books. sadly most of my figures were sold :(

Thanks!

Yea the Ewok was a Promo thing through Frito-Lay where only certain stores got them and had a drawing to win it. I've seen varying numbers but I think the production was around 3500. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) This one is only the second I've ever seen in person. The first one I saw was at store during the promo time (circa 1997) and then this one I picked up at a convention in Dallas. It's one of my favs. just because of the size.

That soap is awesome... I just love to smell it. Nothing like cheap glycerin soap.

I was real lucky, my parents let me hang on to all my SW stuff and Transformers, which later got sold to buy my 12" Vint. Boba.
By Darth Exzor
Wow! Now thats what a true star wars collecter's collection!
By Niktom
Vintage Bedding

Vintage Comic Book Toy Adds - This has become one of my favorite sub-collections. I love the artistic and actual pics (some of which are prototypes) plus many of them have the prices! Ahh... the good ol' days.

This is from Womans Day back in 1980. It shows how to make your very own Hoth Playset. I have the whole article... it's freakin awesome! Hasbro could learn a thing or two from this. If I ever find the time, I'm making it.

By Incom
Wow, Niktom, I really enjoyed looking at all those pictures of your wonderful little museum. Especially the latest update of those comic ads was a real pleasure. Sure was a trip down memory lane!

Yeah, ol' Incom is a bit in that vintage mood again. Especially since he got another Luke Stormy at his disposal this afternoon.

Womans Day ain't what it used to be nowadays, is it now? :D So, that Hoth playset thing is actually a blueprint for women to make a playset for their sons/hubbies?
By Niktom
Incom wrote:So, that Hoth playset thing is actually a blueprint for women to make a playset for their sons/hubbies?

Thanks gang.

Yea, and blueprints would be an understatement! I got to really looking at them and man... complicated. It also has plans for a Dagobah one with a slime pit and working volcano! I must have missed the volcano in ESB but the thing looks great. I'll get some more detailed scans up by the end of the weekend.

This might make for an interesting Yakfinities (more than month long) Challenge.
By Niktom
Picked this up just before Sith hit. Two sided plan for the Wal-Mart set up. The back tells which store would be getting certain items and how much "pallets" cost.

By Niktom
Vintage Starlog Magazine with an article about The Star Wars Holiday Special.

You can read some excerpts and discuss in this thread HERE.

By Incom
"Backstage with Galactica's Athena"?? Rrrrrrrrr :wink:
By Niktom
Incom wrote:"Backstage with Galactica's Athena"?? Rrrrrrrrr :wink:

Couldn't agree with you more! 8)

Picked up a bunch of stuff over the weekend at a convention....

Good thing Tue. is payday!

This is the vintage inflatable light saber.... oh how I have been searching for this within a reasonable price. Luckily one of the dealers at the con is a buddy of mine, knew I wanted it, and cut me a great deal. Best part is... the blade has no holes, the light still works, the stickers are almost dead mint and he threw in the batteries for free!

On top of some shopping, I got to meet and greet with some really cool celebs.

And finally... my Gentle Giant Animated Luke came in.

And now I'm broke... :cry:
By darth_frisco
that is awesome. it's like a star wars store or something!

I had that vintage bedding from ep 4... it was on my bed until about 1984 I figure
By Darth Holmes
Good god man. Its like a museum in there. I hope you have insurance on all that stuff! :shock:
I make stuff too!

Here's a group shot I took over the weekend; every[…]

The 16th Trial: Caverns of Death

Thanks for the preview feedback, might be able to […]

received my Klaatu figures from Hasbro Pulse today[…]

I agree she goes better with the theme. But I'm g[…]

TVC Skiff guard 3-pack

I only need Vedain out of this set, but I'm excit[…]

TVC 2019 Discussion

If they offer solid cases of the Stormtrooper, I g[…]

Retro Vintage Figures

These look fun. I have a lot of Vintage figures, […]