The Enloe Trials Premier - THE BARON'S CRUSADE

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

The Enloe Trials Premier - THE BARON'S CRUSADE

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Like a handful of people in this hobby, I am fascinated by photonovels... from 2004-2011, I worked almost non-stop on a fan-fiction photonovel series called The Enloe Chronicles that took most of my hobby time... quite frankly, it's why I customize and what's really driven me to continue this hobby... that series comprised of 32 chapters, spanning the timeline of a Republic Peace Officer named Rykrof Enloe from before the invasion of Naboo until the end of the Clone Wars, in which he was one of the few non-Jedi leading battalions of clone troopers into battle against the Separatists.

Along the way, he became a primary enemy of the Badoo Corba terrorists, befriended a Jedi who ultimately fell to the Dark Side, started a family, became close to Palpatine, but realized the evil of the Emperor once the Jedi were eliminated. He made a decision to leave the Empire, which nearly cost him his life, and did cost him the friendship of Admiral Tylin Gere, who was a Peace Officer with Rykrof before the formation of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Now, several years have passed since the events of ROTS, and Rykrof is hiding on a planet called Urelia with his family. The Empire dominates the galaxy, but now Tylin Gere has learned of the whereabouts of an ancient Sith relic that he and Rykrof once nearly took from Separatist forces during the Clone Wars... Tylin is obsessed with locating it, and his pursuit has led him to Dantooine...

This is just the prologue for what I hope will be another large series. Enjoy (I hope!)...

In the furthest reaches of the Outer Rim, a lone Imperial Star Destroyer hovers above the remote world of Dantooine.

On the surface of the planet, Imperial Stormtroopers survey the damage from a recent battle with Rebel insurgents atop a mountain stronghold.

Vastly outnumbered and poorly equipped, the Rebel base was decimated by Imperial forces.

Led by Baron Tylin Gere, this is but one of many Rebel camps he has personally led secret assaults on during recent months...

...as he searches for information that he believes is vital to both the survival of the Empire and his own private interests.

While tearing the base apart, his personal division of Stormtroopers have found few survivors.

"Fools," Tylin scoffs as he walks past the corpse of a Rebel soldier.

"People should know when they've been defeated."

"Sir, we've found no trace of the artifact," officer Draven informs his superior.

"Keep looking. We're not leaving this wretched planet until we learn of its whereabouts," Tylin replies.

"Baron Gere!" a second trooper reports, "We have a survivor who mentioned the relic!"

"Excellent," Tylin smiles.
"Take me to him."

The group then swiftly approaches a badly injured Mon Calamari lying on the ground.

"I am Baron Tylin Gere," the smug Imperial announces sharply.
"What is your rank?"

"I... lieutenant..." he struggles to answer.

"Lieutentant," he grins.
"Tell me now, where is the relic that your band of Rebels have been hiding?"

"It's not here," the Mon Calamari gasps.

"Not here? Where is it?"

"I... egghh... don't know... I swear... it was stolen..."

"...we believe they were... ugh... Badoo Corba agents," he gasps.

"Damn these people," Tylin growls as he looks up to his men.

"When was this?" the Baron demands.
"When were they here?"

"Weeks ago... records were in our database... which your bombers destroyed..."
"My body is broken... I surrender... please... bring a medical capsule..."

"He's told us everything he knows," Tylin says to his troops.
"This soldier is in... terrible condition."

"Relieve his pain."

Without hesitation, the loyal soldiers of the Empire fire their blasters into the Mon Calamari!

"Sir, what are our orders now?" officer Draven asks.

"Destroy any record that we were here," Tylin replies.
"Then burn the camp and kill any survivors."

"...and set course for the Badoo Cobra stronghold on Dathomir."

...that's it for now. It was a lot of fun getting back in the game! I hope my fellow forum members liked what you saw, and are looking as forward to the next installment as I am.

And no, that Mon Calamari wasn't Freelo, in case anyone familiar with the original series is wondering.

:wink:
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Re: The Enloe Trials Premier - THE BARON'S CRUSADE

Postby Darth Kikinou » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Yowza what a debut! You still got it bud, really well done. Short but sweet. Very excited about this. When's the next installment???

As always I dug your choices of figures, dialogue is crisp, photography is great, environments are realistic, graphics are clean.

Well done!!!
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
darthmac
Teras Kasi

Postby darthmac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:34 am

Nice. To be quite honest, I have never actually sat down a read a photo novel, possibly due to my aversion to EU. I usually just look through the photos looking for ones that I like. But I decided to give this one a shot and it is pretty good so far. I've always enjoyed your photography and it keeps getting better. Your effects are really sharp and clean.
Boycott Hasbro 6", Bring back high quality 3 3/4"!
blaster_e11
Rebel / Imperial Pilot

Postby blaster_e11 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 am

Wow, Chewie, it has been a while since i've been there but I must say this is the kind of incentive to get me back onboard. The lighting is really cool and moody.
Trooper31
Pod Racer

Postby Trooper31 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am

And so it begins again, another great series. I've missed these a lot, but I'm glad to see them back. They really capture the spirit of the Star Wars I grew up on. Great job, Chewie!!!!

I also like the idea of a number of rebel cells fighting against the Empire. I figure after ROTS groups banded together, but were never strong enough or large enough to defeat the Empire. I never liked the idea of the Emperor and Vader founding the Rebellion from TFU. To me, the founding of the Rebellion happens in those deleted ROTS scenes, but it took time to build up and recruit enough people to overthrow the Empire.

That background works really well. I can't wait to see more.
ghostskull18
Droid

Postby ghostskull18 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 am

Awesome! :mrgreen:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:22 am

Darth Kikinou wrote:Yowza what a debut! You still got it bud, really well done. Short but sweet. Very excited about this. When's the next installment???

As always I dug your choices of figures, dialogue is crisp, photography is great, environments are realistic, graphics are clean.

Well done!!!

Hey Kikinou, my first comment! Thanks!

I'm glad you think this wasn't a step back from previous works, which is something that I really was concerned with. Taking almost 16 months off from a photonovel can really leave one rusty... which I kind of am.

I'm sure the next installment might be a little ways off, it's likely going to be a much larger chapter than this - closer to 100 frames. I kept this one short because I really wanted to just set an establishment that Tylin Gere is on a personal mission to find the artifact - which by the way, was part of the focus of Chapter 26 a while back...

^ The Separatists had it... now in the OT era, the Badoo Corba have taken possession. That will be explained moving forward. Soon, Rykrof is going to be forced to get involved in Tylin's quest for this. And it's not going to be on Rykrof's terms at all.

The next thing I need to do is roll my sleeves up and get to work on two sets for the next chapter. Once those are done, I can get shooting. I already have most of the customs done for it, which I'll show pretty soon.

Thanks for the support all these years!

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 am

darthmac wrote:Nice. To be quite honest, I have never actually sat down a read a photo novel, possibly due to my aversion to EU. I usually just look through the photos looking for ones that I like. But I decided to give this one a shot and it is pretty good so far. I've always enjoyed your photography and it keeps getting better. Your effects are really sharp and clean.

I can understand, I know a lot of people don't read photonovels. That's part of why I am launching this with a whole new story that if someone never read the old ones, they could hopefully pick up on this from here and still enjoy it.

And for people who haven't been into photonovels, they can be so much fun! I really enjoy seeing people's imaginations come to life through their storytelling. In many regards I see that as even more fun that seeing customs and dioramas, because you can definitely see someone trying to present situations and storylines in Star Wars that haven't been touched on before.

And I really appreciate that you decided to give it a shot and read this one - that means a lot to me. It's hard to break through and find a new audience or even hold onto the older crowd who was into photonovels back in their heyday, around 2005-2007... during those days, all one had to do was post a chapter, and the hits came as did the feedback. I know a lot of people get discouraged when they make a photonovel and get little to no feedback. It's got to be disheartening.

Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot and that's the kind of thing that helps drive people like myself to pick back up on these. For a while there, I had a sunken feeling that my series was done, and I should just stay away from it. But if there's still people wanting to read it and will take a few minutes to share their thoughts (good or bad), then to me it's still worth all the time and struggles that go into it.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 am

blaster_e11 wrote:Wow, Chewie, it has been a while since i've been there but I must say this is the kind of incentive to get me back onboard. The lighting is really cool and moody.

Thanks - glad you like it. It would be awesome if this could help get a few people back into the swing of photonovels. I'm really going to give this my best shot and hope that this is going to be better than the Rykrof prequel series.

The lighting just happened to be me snapping pics in an area I never had before - my kitchen table! I thought I'd give it a shot and it seemed to work okay - a lot better than I had actually planned on. I had pretty much zero editing on these pics... which really made this a lot more manageable!

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:40 am

ghostskull18 wrote:Awesome! :mrgreen:

Short and sweet, but I'll run with it. Thanks! :)

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 am

Trooper31 wrote:And so it begins again, another great series. I've missed these a lot, but I'm glad to see them back. They really capture the spirit of the Star Wars I grew up on. Great job, Chewie!!!!

I also like the idea of a number of rebel cells fighting against the Empire. I figure after ROTS groups banded together, but were never strong enough or large enough to defeat the Empire. I never liked the idea of the Emperor and Vader founding the Rebellion from TFU. To me, the founding of the Rebellion happens in those deleted ROTS scenes, but it took time to build up and recruit enough people to overthrow the Empire.

That background works really well. I can't wait to see more.

Thank you so much, I'm thrilled to have posted this. I was considering waiting another week and toying around with editing some of the pics and maybe snapping a few more to show a bit more about what's going on in the galaxy, like a shot of Coruscant or something. But, I really wanted to try and portray an OT feel here as much as I could. So I went with a direct into right to Dantooine with the Rebel base.

I completely agree, I like the idea of scattered Rebel cells too - perhaps not really united yet - and I also agree - the weakest part of the TFU storyline is that Palpatine and Vader created the Rebellion to root out their enemies. I don't feel that's really how it happened and was just thrown in there to give Starkiller more legitimacy. It doesn't feel right, and I'm not going to go down that road at all here. I do like how they had Rahm Kota having his own group of "Rebels" - to me that is how the Rebellion was before it united.

I'm glad you liked the background - if that hadn't worked out, honestly I don't know when this chapter would have been done. Probably not until summer because I really was clueless on how to go about it. It worked out much better than I had assumed it would.

For me the biggest improvement though was how the face on Tylin looks. By focusing on making a custom of him more than I did in the past, there's more depth to his face:

As compared to a pic from an earlier chapter a few years ago, with the same camera:

...as compared to past photonovel chapters, where it looked all washed out/etc. My camera just doesn't capture details too well on faces unless there's some depth in the paint. So now most of my customs of humans, I paint the face and try and add some depth, which is pretty difficult.

Thank you again for your support, you're one of those people have helped keep me driving to do these.

DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Really great introduction to the new series. It think it's a nice set up and good springboard for newer readers.

I think I actually said "Oh no!" when I first saw the Mon Cal rebel, worried it was Freelo. I'm glad it's not, though I don't think you'd refrain from killing him off if it fits you're story, I've got a feeling he'd get a pretty epic death scene. As it is, it worked as a nice bait and switch.

Very interesting to see what's become of Tylin, he's actually one of my favorite characters from the series, and it's sad to see him on the other side of the war from Rykrof completely. You set the up well, it was a very natural development, but I'm always a little disappointed that they're not fighting on the same side whenever he shows up.

The sets are flawless. The backdrop and colored lighting really make it feel like its outdoors, it has a very dusky feel.

Really a great comeback for the series, and certainly worth the wait!
drod26
Storm Trooper

Postby drod26 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Nice start to this new series Chewie. All the photos look great and the custom figures.. When I saw the Mon Cal rebel, I was like what sculpt did he use? Painting the eyes like they are half open got me.. ahahha
I like how the story is told from Tylin side of the war.. We dont see to many books or nobles writing from the empire perspective and its open to alot of creativity.. :D Im a new reader to photo novels and I find them very interesting and hope to see more of them in the future.
DarthDaddy
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby DarthDaddy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Love the opening! So good to see you back at it!
darthmac
Teras Kasi

Postby darthmac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:For me the biggest improvement though was how the face on Tylin looks. By focusing on making a custom of him more than I did in the past, there's more depth to his face:

Wow, that was a serious upgrade. Before he looked like a action figure well photographed, now it come far closer to blurring the lines of reality.
Boycott Hasbro 6", Bring back high quality 3 3/4"!

Return to “Photo Novels”