The 1st Trial: Seeds of Insurrection

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

The 1st Trial: Seeds of Insurrection

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:30 pm

After a longer wait than planned, but a few days early at least, this is the first chapter in The Enloe Trials Photonovel Series - the prologue to this new series is posted HERE.

Hope you guys enjoy this, and I don't believe there will be a very long delay before the next chapter is posted. I've already got most of the groundwork for it completed.

Imperial Center... formerly known as Coruscant...

"Lord Vader," a dark voice hisses.

"Rise."

"What is thy bidding, my Master?" Darth Vader asks.

"There is a great disturbance in the Force," Emperor Palpatine informs his apprentice.

"I have felt it," Vader replies.
"Something distant... something... unnatural."

"Yes," Palpatine smiles.
"Your feelings serve you well."

"It is a power... known as the Sickness... it is difficult to control," Palpatine explains.
"Even for a Sith."

"Many years ago, a Sith Lord named Darth Scabrous attempted to harvest this power," the Dark Lord explains.

"The artifact has been found, then?" Vader asks.

"Yes, it seems Baron Tylin Gere has tracked it to Dathomir following the raid of a Rebel base... however, it is currently in the hands of Badoo Corba terrorists," the Emperor says with disgust.

"I was under the impression that Baron Gere's forces had gone missing?" Vader inquires as he follows his master.

"No, they were NEVER missing. However, he has disobeyed orders in his personal quest for the artifact," Palpatine remarks.

"Is Baron Gere to be... dealt with?" Vader asks.

"Perhaps," Palpatine smiles.
"But the immediate concern is to ensure the Sickness is... quarantined."

"If it could be controlled, it could be a useful weapon," Vader offers.

"Indeed... evaluate the situation, and report back to me," Palpatine orders his apprentice.

"But be mindful, Lord Vader. Do not underestimate its power."

Located in the furthest reaches of the Outer Rim, Urelia has been far removed from recent events in the galaxy.

The spaceport known at Rithos once offered travelers from all corners of the galaxy a friendly haven...

...but recent Imperial expansion has made this remote world a popular attraction for criminals and scum.

Outside a popular cantina, Freelo Macklar eagerly waits for his friend to exit the building.

Inside the bar, various creatures enjoy refreshments and dangerous concoctions...

...brewed locally by owner and bartender, Heglito Hagmodo.

"Celi-jar-mutus!" a satisfied Resparin customer shouts.

Scanning the crowd, a mysterious hooded figure approaches a seated warrior.

"A dark saber knows no light..." the warrior says to the hooded alien.

"...until the holder renounces his ways," the other replies.

"I already knew it was you," Kala Mly Shundi says.

"You can remove your mask. You look more suspicious with it on."

"At least I'm not stupid enough to openly carry a lightsaber around," Rykrof Enloe replies.

"I was here an hour earlier," Kala says, ignoring the insult.
"Where were you?"

"Thinking through this," Rykrof explains to the former Jedi.

"Well, at least you showed up. I was beginning to think you changed your mind."

"I did change my mind," Rykrof admits.

"About which part?" Kala asks suspiciously.

"All of it. There's too much at risk; I can't go through with what you're planning," Rykrof tells him.
"I'm sorry."

"But, we need your help," the former Jedi counters.
"You have more contacts on Coruscant than any of us do. If we are going make a move with the Senate, now is the time."

"Those are old contacts," Rykrof says while shaking his head.
"And at first I thought it might work... but there's no way a coup will succeed. They’re too loyal to the Emperor."

"Bail Organa can not go about this alone," Kala insists.
"We need a veteran from the war to stand shoulder to shoulder with him! And you know it can’t be a Jedi!"

Just then, a Duros bounty hunter swiftly approaches Kala from behind...

...in response, Kala's lightsaber hisses to life as he slices off the attacker's hand!

Several of the cantina patrons look up from their drinks, but keep their distance.

"JEDI SCUM!" the bounty hunter shouts.
"You will PAY for this!"

"I have spared your life," Kala replies smoothly.

"Now, leave, before I change my mind."

"Rykrof, given the circumstances I suggest we continue this discussion outside," Kala says as he turns to his friend.
"There is something else I need to discuss with you... something I've learned regarding Tylin Gere."

"No," Rykrof disagrees.
"This conversation is over."

"I can't be part of your war against the Empire, and I don't need to hear about Tylin."

"You must do what your instincts tell you," Kala replies.
"But the day will come when you will realize your importance... when you realize what is right."

"Don't lecture me about morality, not after what you did in the war," Rykrof says as he walks away.
"I have a family to worry about."

Outside, Freelo approaches his friend.

"Well?" the Mon Calamari asks.
"How did he take it?"

"About as good as can be expected, I guess," Rykrof admits.

"Still though, staying out of this isn't something I'm proud of."

"I was meaning to tell you," Freelo interrupts, changing the subject.
"Something is wrong with our communications. Everything is scrambled."

"What?" Rykrof asks.
"How long has this been happening?"

"Several minutes," Freelo offers.

"Well, don't get in a panic just yet," Rykrof says.
"It could be anything."

"Look at THAT!" Freelo suddenly exclaims.
"In the sky!"

"I don't believe this... that's what's jamming your signal..."

"...a Star Destroyer!"

"It's the Dantallion... Tylin Gere's personal flagship... they must have tracked Kala here!"

"Wait for me!" Freelo whimpers.

"BLAST!" Rykrof curses.
"I don't see him anywhere!"

As he turns around, he sees that Freelo has attracted the attention of one of the cantina's seductive employees...

"Where do you think you're going?" the sultry worker playfully giggles.

"Don't even think about it, Freelo!" Rykrof scolds his friend.

"Do you think the Imperials knew you were meeting with Kala?" Freelo asks, changing the subject.

"Who knows...," Rykrof says as he looks back to where he and the former Jedi had spoken just minutes earlier.

"But we better get moving."

Meanwhile, aboard the Dantallion, Baron Tylin Gere awaits contact from an Imperial scout team sent to the surface.

"I want the Enloe family taken into custody at once," Tylin commands as the transmission begins.

"If they put up a fight?" Office Draven asks.

"In that case, arrest Enloe and his son," the Baron says.

"KILL the others."

Thanks for reading, and any feedback is greatly appreciated!

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Re: The Enloe Trials Chapter 1 - SEEDS OF INSURRECTION

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am

Teaser thread unlocked and chapter has been posted.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby DanOfTheDead » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:06 pm

This is one of your best "talky" chapters yet. Not a whole lot of action, but by no means slow. You're playing with depth in your scenes and it adds a LOT of dynamic interest to the visuals.

Rithos looks VERY convincingly layered and big, while the bar interior feels believably smaller and more claustrophobic.

This however,

was my favorite shot. It's a great transition from the previous scene, and I can almost feel the camera following Tylin as he walks through the Star Destroyer's bridge. It's a very simple but cinematic setup, but it's the attention to detail and getting down eye level with your subjects that really has always made your work stand out.

While visually, we know these are toys, you're not shooting them from an overhead angle. We're not above them watching them be played with and manipulated, we're eye-level with them and it adds so much to the suspension of disbelief and allowing the viewer/reader to be absorbed in the story. It's like when you're in a really nice movie theater, and you stop being aware of the seats around you and the edges of the screen. You go a long way to pull people into the story, and I think that's why it's remained a favorite and held everyone's interest.

And on top of all that, you get better at it every single time.
DanOfTheDead

Postby drod26 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Beatiful work Justin!!! Visually outstanding and the scene transitions are very smooth.. I like how you are focusing on character development here and giving some background to the story.. While reading it, I felt like I was ready a comic put right of the press. The work you put into the actors customs shows well on camera. I thank you for taking the time and effort to put these novels together for us... amazing job..
Last edited by drod26 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drod26
Storm Trooper

Postby DarthMcBaine » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Fantastic work Chewie! Been waiting a long time for this chapter and, as usual, you do not disappoint!

One question, what is the head of the alien in the picture with the Abyssin?
DarthMcBaine
Midi-Chlorian

Postby UKHistory » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Love this Chewie. Great paint job on Kala and all the guys. I really like the creativity of using the video game figures mixed in with the more familiar Star Wars figures.

The sets are some of my favorite that you have made. Very fun. Familiar but different much like the Brian Daley novels.

Another thing I like is the photo of the twilek speaking Freelo. It was great to show the back of her. Good photography.

A wonderful cliffhanger to get us back into your stories.

Keep it up!
UKHistory
Scavenger

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm

DarthMcBaine wrote:Fantastic work Chewie! Been waiting a long time for this chapter and, as usual, you do not disappoint!

One question, what is the head of the alien in the picture with the Abyssin?

Hey DarthMcBaine, thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed this first chapter following the prologue.

The alien you are referring to is the guy on the right side of this image, right?

If so, that's one of the Green Lantern aliens that wore red robes. I put it onto a Legacy Plo Koon body, gave it new hands, then repainted the figure. The head was originally blue.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

drod26 wrote:Beatiful work Justin!!! Visually outstanding and the scene transitions are very smooth.. I like how you are focusing on character development here and giving some background to the story.. While reading it, I felt like I was ready a comic put right of the press. The work you put into the actors customs shows well on camera. I thank you for taking the time and effort to put these novels together for us... amazing job..

Thanks Dennis - your opinion means a lot!

For this new chapter, I used a new camera - still a Sony Cybershot, but a 14 megapixel or something... I only use 10 megapixels for the images.

The scene transitions are always tough, and I'm not completely happy with them but I hope they worked well enough without making things drag out too much (which I'm always afraid of, especially in the character development chapters).

I did put quite a bit of work into the customs, and appreciate that you mention that... the last custom I worked on was Kala, I had him ready and shot some pics, but realized it just wasn't portraying the character like I wanted. So, I put his head on a Starkiller body, repainted the head completely to give him a "new" look and tweaked the Starkiller costume just a bit. Hopefully, it turned out okay.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm

UKHistory wrote:Love this Chewie. Great paint job on Kala and all the guys. I really like the creativity of using the video game figures mixed in with the more familiar Star Wars figures.

The sets are some of my favorite that you have made. Very fun. Familiar but different much like the Brian Daley novels.

Another thing I like is the photo of the twilek speaking Freelo. It was great to show the back of her. Good photography.

A wonderful cliffhanger to get us back into your stories.

Keep it up!

Ah, Brian Daley... such a short life but a fantastic write who really helped expand Star Wars...

Glad you liked the paint job on Kala and the others. I've realized that with my limited photography talents, that if I don't paint faces on my figures, many appear as washed out... so Kala, Rykrof, Tylin, and even Freelo are painted to help bring out the details.

As for the Twi'lek, I was working on a custom for this chapter of a very sultry female, and got to a point where I felt what I had in mind was inappropriate for younger viewers... I know most of the audience here is older but I felt instead, the right thing to do was show a more proper female and just a glimpse of her was enough, with just a "hint" as to what her profession might be.

I don't want to give too much away, but the next chapter is going to be a downer for the Enloes. Everything that could possibly go wrong, pretty much does. I hope to have it posted this Fall - September/October seems doable at this point.

Thanks again for taking a few minutes to read it and share some thoughts.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38 pm

DanOfTheDead wrote:This is one of your best "talky" chapters yet. Not a whole lot of action, but by no means slow. You're playing with depth in your scenes and it adds a LOT of dynamic interest to the visuals.

Rithos looks VERY convincingly layered and big, while the bar interior feels believably smaller and more claustrophobic.

This however,

was my favorite shot. It's a great transition from the previous scene, and I can almost feel the camera following Tylin as he walks through the Star Destroyer's bridge. It's a very simple but cinematic setup, but it's the attention to detail and getting down eye level with your subjects that really has always made your work stand out.

While visually, we know these are toys, you're not shooting them from an overhead angle. We're not above them watching them be played with and manipulated, we're eye-level with them and it adds so much to the suspension of disbelief and allowing the viewer/reader to be absorbed in the story. It's like when you're in a really nice movie theater, and you stop being aware of the seats around you and the edges of the screen. You go a long way to pull people into the story, and I think that's why it's remained a favorite and held everyone's interest.

And on top of all that, you get better at it every single time.

Dan - thanks for the feedback, you know it means a lot!

Yeah, this was a real "talky" chapter like you said. I like that kind of chapter from a storytelling standpoint, but as a reader, I don't know if people will latch on or not. I try hard to make the visuals keep the reader interested by making so many different aliens/background characters.

I'm thrilled that you approve of the "depth" that I've been trying to add to the shots. I've found it seems to help make the chapters easier to read, as it is intended to show the reader what part of the image to focus on... and glad you thought the city looked larger than it was (crammed onto a 3 foot long set), while the bar looked small as it was supposed to.

That Star Destroyer shot happened by accident, more than anything. For those 4 shots, I took at least 75 pics and they mostly turned out poorly. That one was a "thank God" image or I'd have had to reshoot the whole scene. That shot worked out much better than I had anticipated.

I also completely agree about the importance of shooting the majority of shots to appear like you are on the same level as the figures are. Eye level pictures really makes it seem more believable, or as close to it as possible as these are and always will be "toys."

Again - thank you so much for your feedback. It means so much to know fellow collectors are reading along and it's icing on the cake to get feedback. :)

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby CloneCrazy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Stunning work Justin, your sets are just outstanding as is your story telling!!! What an unique story line, I cannot wait to see how it shakes out. I have to say I would have loved to have seen Enloe go after Palps Valkyrie style!!! You set us up for an excellent cliff hanger end, don't make us wait to long for the next chapter!!!
CloneCrazy
Scavenger

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am

CloneCrazy wrote:Stunning work Justin, your sets are just outstanding as is your story telling!!! What an unique story line, I cannot wait to see how it shakes out. I have to say I would have loved to have seen Enloe go after Palps Valkyrie style!!! You set us up for an excellent cliff hanger end, don't make us wait to long for the next chapter!!!

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the feedback.

The sets help a lot, and that's one of the reasons that these chapters take as long as they do to prepare as I create my dioramas from styrene. It helps me a lot though, because once I have the sets ready, photography doesn't take as long as it used to.

The more elaborate sets though, I can't take credit for. Many are purchased from my old pal, Owen Driscoll - http://www.owenscustoms.com

Palpatine's Office - The red office area was made by Owen, the hallway that Palpatine/Vader walk into, I made myself

Rithos Spaceport - I made most of this from styrene, the "tower" is an Owen creation, the steps are from a skateboard playset

Rithos Cantina - I made this from styrene mostly

Star Destroyer Bridge - This amazing piece was made by Owen

As for the idea of Rykrof going after Palpatine, I've thought about it too. There's a possibility that could happen later on... and I will try to make the next chapter happen sooner rather than later.

Again, thank you for reading, and taking time to share some thoughts - it's greatly appreciated! :)

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby jlw515 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 am

Justin,

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you have a great one!!

Now to the latest chapter!! I actually made a list of "Likes" and "Critiques" as I was reading this the second time. Don't worry the "Likes" greatly outway the "Critiques." So here we go:

1. I love the title! "Seeds of Insurrection" tells us that this is not just an Enloe story, but the storyline has spread out. It's not just a "SEED" (singular) of insurrection, but "SEEDS" (plural) of insurrection - both Galen & Rykrof!

2. VADER!! I am loving that Vader appears to be playing a part in this series. Loves me some Vader.

3. DIORAMAS: OMG!! That spaceport diorama is just amazing!! The photo of the two aliens and the CZ droid has the perfect depth like someone from across the street is looking at them. I also loved the cantina/bar! The lighting was excellent like there was this hint of red gloy in the bar.

4. CUSTOM FIGURES: I particularly liked the Ithorian spacer, the new look of Kala - the accessories of belts and such are just great, Duros bounty hunter - that headgear on the Duros head is just perfect (I may need to "borrow" that idea), and I was really hoping to see the female Twi'lek custom from the front, but ya left me hanging (or is that wanting more?)

5. Whether this was intentional or not, I LOVED the photo right after Kala slices off the Duros' hand where the aliens look over, and one of the aliens is a Myo custom! To me, this was homage to ANH where Myo looks back after Han shoots (first!) Greedo!

You've got the workings of an excellent plot: Empire after Galen, Galen after Rykrof, Sith artifact, & the formation of the Rebellion. All working out great.

I'll post CRITIQUES later.

Jason
jlw515
Droid

Postby jlw515 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Alright, here go my two little CRITIQUES:

1. CRAWL: It may just be the computer (work) that I'm using, but I absolutely can not read the first two lines before the crawl. And I have to strain to read the first line of the crawl. I understand you're using the custom crawl thing on the Star Wars website, but the angle (to me) puts the first few lines so far away they are hard to read.

2. CROWD: I think your spaceport and cantina/bar needed to be more crowded. I understand if it's an issue of not putting all of your custom figures in one shot, but there would be nothing wrong with using some stock Hasbro figures to make up a crowd.

Other than that everything was just amazing!!

I'd also like to echo someone's comments above about your camera angles. Those photos are just great!

Jason
jlw515
Droid

Postby JediMerc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Another great show, Chewie!

I particularly like the fact that we're heading into the Dark Times 'feel' of the SW storyline and you are taking us there along with Rykrof. His bounty hunter disguise is unique and fits the mood and sets the tone of where this chapter will be taking us...very, very well. I don't know if you changed your paint applications to Rykrof's head/face at all, but he seems to be wearing his fatigue after all these events more obviously now. He's got the "beaten, but not down" look going for him; not sure if that's just me seeing something I want to see or if you did change something up on him.

The look of the aliens in this chapter is also of the very highest quality; the Ithorian passer-by is a great-looking figure and I still absolutely love the Skeksis-like bartender in the cantina where Kala and Rykrof meet.

Congrats on an excellent piece of work; as always, looking forward the next installment!
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time." -- Brian Fantana (from Anchorman)
JediMerc
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Next

Return to Photo Novels