Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

DarthDaddy wrote:I'm really loving this story. Your diorama work is off the charts! I love that giant mushroom on the tree! I also reallu love the twist you intoduced with Rykrof Enloe now working for Vader to keep his faily alive. Can't tell you what an honor it was to see my Vurk Zombie in this installment. It doesn't get cooler than that! :D

I was hoping you'd catch that I put your custom eye-dripping zombie in there (still love that custom) -- I have been saving it throughout the Dathomir storyline for that shot - I had another image of the other zombie you made, but wasn't able to squeeze it in -- I had a scene where Traedon ran across a couple more zombies (including another one I made) and the pics didn't turn out very good. Which was unfortunate in a way but also this story was getting to be very long - not sure another scene was needed.

The mushroom tree is from a pet supply store, and Rykrof's situation with Vader will be played out in the next few chapters and there will be repercussions for his actions.

Thanks for the feedback -- it means a lot!

:wink:
Trooper31 wrote:Another great installment and a difficult predicament for Enloe. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. He is a perfect good guy, where he tries to balance his own needs with the needs of the galaxy. He's allowed himself to get pulled into the Empire's schemes hoping he can make some good come out of it, but it seems that it keeps getting harder for him to do what needs to be done without betraying his family or his friends or his own ideals. This series has a lot of great action, but puts a really nice perspective on how an almost "average Joe" is trying to deal with the New Order and its consequences.

Love the dioramas. Beautiful work.

Where is the getaway shuttle from?

Thanks - and getting Rykrof into a more serious issue now with Vader was something that I was hoping might be a good twist? It makes sense for this to happen, I think - given his relationship with Kala, and Vader's obsession with finding any surviving Jedi.

Someone will likely get betrayed by Rykrof soon - as a father, I know what I'd do - but will Rykrof be able to betray his friends? Or will he try something crazy and try to be a hero? Rykrof is certainly in a tough spot.

As for the shuttle, it's a modified Halo life pod. I thought it looked like something the Badoo Corba terrorists might have.

UKHistory wrote:Another great story Chewie. Wonderful set. I loved the vehicles shown in the last stills. One of those being an origianl POTF vehicle sold during the Droids run.

Thanks my friend! Yeah - had to show some vehicles in the landing area - and the ATL Interceptor is still one of my favorites - I painted that thing about 10 years ago and have used it several times over the years in the series - but it's been a while since it was used! I think the last time this ship showed up was around 2006... man, I've been making these for a long time...

UKHistory wrote:The shuttle Enloe got was not a vehicle I recognized. I need to look at that closer. I must say diorama pieces are fantastic. The blood stained floors in the base are an especially good touch. It looks so realistic and well constructed. The chapter allows us to see a fabricated base as well as the outdoors of Dathomir--which is a work of art. Is the protocal droid sitting under a terrarium piece.

The shuttle was from a Halo vehicle, a life pod or something. Glad you liked the floors/etc. - took a lot of time making all that in the prep work. And I really am glad how the forest area of Dathomir turned out - that was my first real attempt and terrain forming, which honestly I did not think I could pull off that well. It has its flaws but for what I'm trying to do with my stories it worked out good! Now it's going to go into retirement... at least for a while. And yeah the droid was under a terrarium piece from a local pet store.

UKHistory wrote:Kala sticks around for another episode. We had another "red shirt" moment as Brad got fried. I liked the custom droid very much. The zombie figures are top notch as well. That poor protocal droid will need a telethon before he is through. Nice work on damaging him.

Kala is a character I've come close to killing off several times. Eventually I'm sure that day will come. Just need to the right reason for it to happen. Which I think I have decided on, finally.

UKHistory wrote:Good dialogue between Vader and Enloe who continues to be in a tough spot. He would not betray Kala before but there is little doubt that Vader would kill Enloe's family (wouldn't he?) on orders from the Emperor. How can Enloe keep from betraying Kala? Will he? There are many reasons to tune in for more.

That will be a lot of fun to work out! What's Rykrof gonna do? What will the consequences be? :?:

UKHistory wrote:Interesting comment about needing to secure the artifact before it would desroy Greere's forces.

Yeah, Vader views Gere as reckless -- and impatient. He also used that as an excuse to "get involved."

UKHistory wrote:I liked the scene with the Emperor and Vader. Very nice use of the sl droid (which is the best part of that set and maybe the best figure of that first offering of figures) as a holo projector.

That scene was a pain to make! I hate making special effects and all that but I knew I needed to do something along those lines as a reason for Vader to be pulled away from chasing Kala.

UKHistory wrote:I really liked the watermark Vader helmet on the cover page. That is Star Wars right there.

Again -- thank you -- that was me just playing around and then I said, "Hey that looks kind of cool!" so I went with it.

UKHistory wrote:What would you think of having a slide for each paragraph of your opening scroll? I could read the beginning but not as easily as I may have liked. The second paragraph was real easy to read. Just a thought. Very good either way.

YES. I need to do this. Several people have asked about this now.

UKHistory wrote:Very good lighting; the shadows captures the mood. The figures are posed well in each scene. Thanks for your efforts. it is such a treat and a great way to get ready for Memorial Day weekend.

Well - thank YOU. I honestly was hoping that someone would "dig in" with their comments, which you did - and that really makes creating something like this completely worth it. I appreciate the dialogue very, very much.

I will try and not disappoint with the next chapter!

By sheer chance, I came across the shell of a Turbo Tank at a garage sale on Saturday -- for $3.00 -- this thing was missing all the doors, missiles, etc. -- nearly perfect though for something I need in an upcoming chapter. I'll probably get to work on this project over the next month or so, as it will be important to the series.

So, I took it apart (tons and tons of screws) and above are the pieces I need.

I knew I should have purchased that shuttle from Halo. It has the realistic space feel of Star Wars And how I wish the buildings for their miniature sets were in 1/18 scale. That is why we have Styrofoam.

Chewie you are not going to disappoint with the next installment. Impossible. This is a labor of love for you to create and I am thrilled to read it and view these scenes. I get a lot of good ideas from your work. What I really like to do is first read for content. Then I like to read the stories multiple times so I can focus on the custom figures, sets and lighting after catching up with our big damn heroes.

The pet store terrarium stuff is great for diorama pieces: Yavin IV, Endor, Tatooine, Dagobaugh, Naboo (both above ground and under the sea) and places to be named later can all be created partially by the items at Petsmart or Pet Co.

And if someone is inclined, you can do a really cool diorama with smaller pieces in scale that are pretty large to show great distances and or high elevations.

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Memorial day weekend. Now get back to work on the next chapter! : )
Choi wrote:-Another great chapter, Chewie! Incredible customs and dioramas, as always! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks bud. I've got my work cut out for me regarding the dioramas/etc. for the next few chapters - expect to maybe have some WIP previews of the dioramas I'm working on over the next month or two. But it's going to take some time, I'm afraid.

Justin,

Another stellar chapter! Let me list my comments/critiques in a linear fashion:
1. Dioramas: AWESOME work! Your exterior diorama is just amazing! You’ve got various trees & moss with other plants in the foreground of the camera angle; dude you’ve even got ‘shrooms!! I couldn’t imagine how hard it was setting up some of those shots so that in each scene there was a variance in small trees, moss, etc. And what’s great is the background blends in so well that the dio looks like a dense jungle/forest. My favorite exterior shots though have got to be the final action scenes of the outside of the base. The fence and all the boxes & power generator-things really make this look great. Oh, and once again the background looks natural enough that you think that there really is dense vegetation on the other side of the fence. The lab diorama is equally nice! Love the smoke, eerie glow in the bacta tank! And I especially love the smeared (dragged?) blood stains on the floor!

2. Customs: Ok, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that every figure in this chapter is a custom! That’s like over 20 custom figures for this chapter. I know even the Stormtroopers have a custom paint job, and I’m thinking even Vader is a slight custom. Even dad-gum T-3PO is a custom with his cut off parts!! Sheesh!! No wonder it took so long!! The zombie customs are great, not too gory and not comical looking either. Although, I will have to admit as they made their entrance in the final action scene at the shuttle, I could swear I could hear Vincent Price and “Thriller” playing in the background!!

3. Story: The story was excellent. You wrapped up the previous chapters, went into more detail on the “undead,” and have finalized the “undead” story on Dathomir - which is great for those of us who are not fans of zombies because (as a fan) one more chapter of zombies would have burned me out. The photo angles tell a lot of the story here! I love how you don’t reveal all of the set at one time. You’ll have two or three photos revealing a little of the background each time, then have a camera angle from farther away to bring it all together. This picture is the best!!

Without reading the story, you can see the disparity of the situation in that picture! This is not a stand-off by any means, and you capture this quite well!! I also love the shot of Traedon & T-3PO looking over the railing. It reminds me of a video surveillance shot.

Finally, no comments would be complete without expressing my joy for this picture!!

YES friends! That is your “Dan of the Dead” homage right there!!

Honestly, if I (just) had to pick one thing to critique (and this is very nit-picky), it would be to make the hologram of the Emperor more digital with the frequency lines. I mean your hologram looks great, but if I was forced to critique anything it would be that. Justin your work just get gooder and gooder as we say here in Arkansas!!

Jason
Last edited by jlw515 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAK_Chewie wrote:By sheer chance, I came across the shell of a Turbo Tank at a garage sale on Saturday -- for $3.00 -- this thing was missing all the doors, missiles, etc. -- nearly perfect though for something I need in an upcoming chapter. I'll probably get to work on this project over the next month or so, as it will be important to the series.

I love garage sales!! A few years back I found that Clone Wars 6-legged walker thing for like $5. Basically the only parts it's missing are the missles. It's been stashed in the back of my closet waiting to be customized into some other kind of vehicle.

Jason
jlw515 wrote:
YAK_Chewie wrote:By sheer chance, I came across the shell of a Turbo Tank at a garage sale on Saturday -- for $3.00 -- this thing was missing all the doors, missiles, etc. -- nearly perfect though for something I need in an upcoming chapter. I'll probably get to work on this project over the next month or so, as it will be important to the series.

I love garage sales!! A few years back I found that Clone Wars 6-legged walker thing for like $5. Basically the only parts it's missing are the missles. It's been stashed in the back of my closet waiting to be customized into some other kind of vehicle.

Jason

I love them too --- you never know what you're going to find --- the AT-TE is a great vehicle too, I wonder how the Turbo Tank wheels would look on that thing....

UKHistory wrote:I knew I should have purchased that shuttle from Halo. It has the realistic space feel of Star Wars And how I wish the buildings for their miniature sets were in 1/18 scale. That is why we have Styrofoam.

Chewie you are not going to disappoint with the next installment. Impossible. This is a labor of love for you to create and I am thrilled to read it and view these scenes. I get a lot of good ideas from your work. What I really like to do is first read for content. Then I like to read the stories multiple times so I can focus on the custom figures, sets and lighting after catching up with our big damn heroes.

The pet store terrarium stuff is great for diorama pieces: Yavin IV, Endor, Tatooine, Dagobaugh, Naboo (both above ground and under the sea) and places to be named later can all be created partially by the items at Petsmart or Pet Co.

And if someone is inclined, you can do a really cool diorama with smaller pieces in scale that are pretty large to show great distances and or high elevations.

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Memorial day weekend. Now get back to work on the next chapter! : )

Oh man -- yes, I wish their playsets were in 3.75 scale too - I'd be in heaven! Those things are so incredibly detailed -- I did by the micro force size ones for my son -- he plays with them quite a bit with other toy lines. He likes using them for his micro size Star Wars figures.

As for the next chapter; it will probably be a bit more chatter than action, which may be boring so I do worry about that. I also need to really determine how I want things to play out, I have a couple scenarios in mind -- I'm trying to clear my head a bit on how to approach it for now -- and will probably focus on the sets first.

Again -- thank you so very much for the comments, support, feedback, etc. It means everything to anyone making these things. I appreciate it!

I loved this chapter, heck I loved this entire arc and the series so far! Normally I'm not the biggest fan of zombies being mixed with Star Wars, but the way you did it here is great. I love how it was because of an ancient Sith artifact.

I can't wait to see how Rykrof will handle this new arrangement with Vader. Will he really betray his friend Kala?

I loved the dioramas you made for this entire arc and this chapter. The inside of the Imperial facility is great with the blood smearing on the floors and the way the lighting really sets the dark and creepy atmosphere. The aquarium tree piece looks like a thing you would find on Dathomir. I don't know why but my favorite image in this chapter is the Rykrof and Freelo first go out into the landing bay. The (painted ?) background just really adds so much depth to the scene.

Also is it just me or has Mubaas Fuuda put on some weight? :shock:

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the next installment.
jlw515 wrote:Another stellar chapter! Let me list my comments/critiques in a linear fashion:

1. Dioramas: AWESOME work! Your exterior diorama is just amazing! You’ve got various trees & moss with other plants in the foreground of the camera angle; dude you’ve even got ‘shrooms!! I couldn’t imagine how hard it was setting up some of those shots so that in each scene there was a variance in small trees, moss, etc. And what’s great is the background blends in so well that the dio looks like a dense jungle/forest. My favorite exterior shots though have got to be the final action scenes of the outside of the base. The fence and all the boxes & power generator-things really make this look great. Oh, and once again the background looks natural enough that you think that there really is dense vegetation on the other side of the fence. The lab diorama is equally nice! Love the smoke, eerie glow in the bacta tank! And I especially love the smeared (dragged?) blood stains on the floor!

Thanks buddy - and really, the hard part there was creating the diorama. It's very versatile, so I didn't need to manipulate much on it at all once it was constructed. It was more or less moving just a few of the "moss" stuff and a few different angles.

The area outside the base was fun to make too - I came across something that was perfect for the "ground" - a "chalkboard surface" piece of plywood at Home Depot. It's perfect! Very sturdy too! So I just added some "landscape dust" to make it look like pollen or something from the trees, so the outside looked like a paved area but was neglected due to the infestation.

And the "dragged" blood stains were fun to make too. That whole interior of the base was the toughest part. Coming up with walls/etc., props - all very time consuming and not cheap either.

jlw515 wrote:2. Customs: Ok, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that every figure in this chapter is a custom! That’s like over 20 custom figures for this chapter. I know even the Stormtroopers have a custom paint job, and I’m thinking even Vader is a slight custom. Even dad-gum T-3PO is a custom with his cut off parts!! Sheesh!! No wonder it took so long!! The zombie customs are great, not too gory and not comical looking either. Although, I will have to admit as they made their entrance in the final action scene at the shuttle, I could swear I could hear Vincent Price and “Thriller” playing in the background!!

I think you're right, every figure in this was a custom. Vader is a custom too. His head is a Gentle Giant bust up.

jlw515 wrote:3. Story: The story was excellent. You wrapped up the previous chapters, went into more detail on the “undead,” and have finalized the “undead” story on Dathomir - which is great for those of us who are not fans of zombies because (as a fan) one more chapter of zombies would have burned me out. The photo angles tell a lot of the story here! I love how you don’t reveal all of the set at one time. You’ll have two or three photos revealing a little of the background each time, then have a camera angle from farther away to bring it all together. This picture is the best!!

Without reading the story, you can see the disparity of the situation in that picture! This is not a stand-off by any means, and you capture this quite well!! I also love the shot of Traedon & T-3PO looking over the railing. It reminds me of a video surveillance shot.

I appreciate that, the story is always the most important element to me. You are right too, the undead aspect on Dathomir is complete. I know it was risky bringing zombies into a photonovel series. I am a fan of them in small doses but didn't want them to "take over" the storyline or go overboard. I hope I didn't play on them too much. I tried not to, but made them a "problem" but at this point not the main threat because they are now kind of spread out throughout the island and not in "hoards" -- which is when I'd think something like that would be a peak threat.

jlw515 wrote:Finally, no comments would be complete without expressing my joy for this picture!!

YES friends! That is your “Dan of the Dead” homage right there!!

Ha ha, I'm so glad that someone commented on that pic. I had to add it, hopefully when Dan reads this chapter he'll like this too. I also added "digital cracks" to the helmet to try and make it look like Rykrof had struck him hard.

jlw515 wrote:Honestly, if I (just) had to pick one thing to critique (and this is very nit-picky), it would be to make the hologram of the Emperor more digital with the frequency lines. I mean your hologram looks great, but if I was forced to critique anything it would be that. Justin your work just get gooder and gooder as we say here in Arkansas!!

I agree with you, the hologram effect could have been better. I played around with it for quite a while, then finally got fed up with my skillset and went with how it looks. I have a lot more technical problems and issues than I care to share sometimes, but this is definitely one of them I struggle with!

Again - thank you for taking so much time to provide your thoughts and feedback. It means so very much to me. Thank you.

My family and I went Thursday to Sunday. We honest[…]

Fantastic. Off to share. :) :wink:

This is really accomplishment. I love the Haunted[…]

Before Boba Fetts untimely demise he was working o[…]

If "Self Customs" wins, we're posting J[…]

Recent Finds/Acquisitions: Vintage/SOTDS

With the help of someone on facebook I was able to[…]

Stormtrooper Party Pack

This concept is just begging for a reinvention of […]

Nice!! What a great gift!