Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Just looking through this thread and the pic of the turbo tank jumped out on me. You got the parts spread out on a Disney Princess table!! Don't be using the baby girl's (I'm assuming you have a daughter in addition to your son) table for your custom projects!! You'll only ruin that poor Disney table. HA!! I should talk! I've got some blue edged Little Tykes table in my garage that is now a custom table because I got paint on it!! Too funny!!

Jason
jlw515 wrote:Just looking through this thread and the pic of the turbo tank jumped out on me. You got the parts spread out on a Disney Princess table!! Don't be using the baby girl's (I'm assuming you have a daughter in addition to your son) table for your custom projects!! You'll only ruin that poor Disney table. HA!! I should talk! I've got some blue edged Little Tykes table in my garage that is now a custom table because I got paint on it!! Too funny!!

Jason

Ha ha - no - that's just for the pic! I have a "junk table" for my projects and would not dream of tearing up her princess table. :)

:wink:
MasterZeno wrote:I loved this chapter, heck I loved this entire arc and the series so far! Normally I'm not the biggest fan of zombies being mixed with Star Wars, but the way you did it here is great. I love how it was because of an ancient Sith artifact.

I can't wait to see how Rykrof will handle this new arrangement with Vader. Will he really betray his friend Kala?

I loved the dioramas you made for this entire arc and this chapter. The inside of the Imperial facility is great with the blood smearing on the floors and the way the lighting really sets the dark and creepy atmosphere. The aquarium tree piece looks like a thing you would find on Dathomir. I don't know why but my favorite image in this chapter is the Rykrof and Freelo first go out into the landing bay. The (painted ?) background just really adds so much depth to the scene.

Also is it just me or has Mubaas Fuuda put on some weight? :shock:

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the next installment.

I want to first, thank you for taking the time to read my stories - and second, thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts for me too - it means a lot to me!

I agree on the zombie thing in Star Wars - it's not the best mix. I really wanted to include a story arc with them (partly because my son loves zombies)... also, I needed some sort of reason behind the launch of the series when Tylin Gere was on a quest to recover the artifact, and felt that it needed to be a powerful item for him to be going around the galaxy looking for it.

^ It makes me sick to think that story is already over 2 years old!!

Anyways, I think I have a decent plan on how Rykrof is going to approach his new situation. And I'm thrilled you liked the dioramas and scenery for this chapter. The background in the forest is also painted by hand. I know it's not perfect by any means, but for me it works out good enough for a pretend forest with action figures.

And yes - Mubaas put on some pounds. It had been many years in the storyline since his last appearance (about 7-8 years) so I figured it would be feasible for him to have let himself go.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's very appreciated. I'll try and have some previews of the next chapter before too terribly long.

Last night after typing the above comment, my girlfriend came over and asked me what I meant about the JP fence. I told her you make photonovels, and how you customize figures and create dioramas (Ok, I really told her you take pictures of figures and sets you made). Shockingly, she asked to see them and we read this entire chapter, even pausing on several of the frames so she look at them closer. At the end she said she liked it and "if the Star Wars movies would look like this, I'd actually watch them". I laughed, and she went on to say "they should get him to help with the next one, and film it like this".
Jodo wrote:Last night after typing the above comment, my girlfriend came over and asked me what I meant about the JP fence. I told her you make photonovels, and how you customize figures and create dioramas (Ok, I really told her you take pictures of figures and sets you made). Shockingly, she asked to see them and we read this entire chapter, even pausing on several of the frames so she look at them closer. At the end she said she liked it and "if the Star Wars movies would look like this, I'd actually watch them". I laughed, and she went on to say "they should get him to help with the next one, and film it like this".

Wow - she wanted to check it out? That's really cool - I've actually had some random people who aren't into Star Wars at all read these, and have been pretty supportive. I'm usually too embarrassed to share this stuff with people outside the fan community though.

Her comments mean a lot to me and I appreciate you both taking the time to read this and also tell me your thoughts - that means so much -- thank you!!!

No problem man! I was pleasantly suprised she wanted to as well! You do excellent diorama and custom work! And actually I also keep my public toy talk to a minimum as well. I just now have started posting every once in a while on FaceBook about anything Star Wars or action figure related!
Jodo wrote:No problem man! I was pleasantly suprised she wanted to as well! You do excellent diorama and custom work! And actually I also keep my public toy talk to a minimum as well. I just now have started posting every once in a while on FaceBook about anything Star Wars or action figure related!

Ha ha, that's funny - I definitely try and keep it "quiet" but of course all my friends know about my obsession with this stuff. Most don't buy this stuff (a couple do) but when they see my collection, their eyes light up like they were 10 again. :)

It's funny because we've had some work done on our house too - different workers have seen it and want to check out each scene too - doesn't matter if they're 25 or 55 - deep down they like this stuff too. Guys just don't grown up - at least not on the inside. We're all kids at heart.

I'm pretty sure I am a kid on the outside too! :lol: A lady who works with my girlfriend says I am a man-child. LOL

I have some of my stuff on display, but as soon as people see it they love talking about it, or when they first saw the original trilogy in theaters, etc. It strikes a cord with just about everyone who sees stuff like this!
It's not a bad thing if you find the right woman who doesn't mind a guy who is a kid at heart. After all, there are much worse habits a guy can have than collecting and customizing action figures... :)

On the photo novel front I have the writing done for the next chapter and once I finish my Jabba palace playset that I'm making I will start working on the environment that will be the primary setting for the next Enloe chapter.

Well, here's another rare unicorn sighting for you, Justin!

At this point, it seems redundant to keep praising the extraordinary technical aspects of your story, but, once again, they are absolutely second to none with spectacular dioramas and an extended cast of extraordinarily creepy undead customs.

This is another awesomely cool action-packed episode with a fantastic, killer twist at the end!!! Wow, I did NOT see that coming with Vader and the tracking device. Just when you thought Rykrof's life couldn't get any worse!!!

I'm not sure what the plan is with Vader/Palpatine and the relic, particularly as it relates to Tylin. I can't quite recall all the details of the earlier chapters (should probably go back and read!) but will Tylin get "busted" by his superiors for trying to get the relic?

Also, Tylin obviously is the one holding Rykrof's family as hostages, but I'm sure Vader doesn't see Tylin as any kind of threat or obstacle, he can just swoop in and grab the family from him if/when necessary.

I do hope that Rykrof is going to swing that shuttle around to grab his friends! Or maybe his plan is to lead Vader on a goose chase? He's probably just still figuring it all out at this point. Wow, can't WAIT to see how this crazy turn of events unfolds.

I think the zombies here were a fun addition to your universe, but I really do respond more to the other kinds of cool story twists that you - and you rolled out a doozy in this episode. Really terrific.

That said, the zombie story was very well told and made sense in the larger framework of your universe. I really dug the Badoo Corba angle. And seeing Mubbas as an undead was a priceless cameo!

Just a few small critiques - I don't think you need to show the "Long time ago" and opening crawl at the beginning of every chapter. It feels pretty redundant.

These chapters aren't "BIG" stories like a movie. They are like TV episodes or chapters in a book. I think a crawl is appropriate at the beginning of each new "adventure" - but those larger adventures are broken up into small, digestible chunks. So I think it works to have a big crawl for the beginning of the entire story that is the relic/Tylin story. But I think you should wait until this storyline resolves and you're onto the next one before doing it again.

I also think it was a mistake a few episodes back for Vader to have told his troops to "not harm" Rykrof. Now we know the reason why (and, as I said, it's a terrific twist!!!) but it seems like this chapter would have been much scarier/more tense/exciting and more effective if we thought Rykrof was in greater danger. If, when Vader showed up, we were truly scared about what was going to happen. As it is, knowing Vader wasn't going to harm Rykrof took just a little of the tension out of the scene.

Anyway, thanks again for another sterling chapter. This has been a great story so-far, the entire Tylin/artifact arc. I know I earlier said I wanted to see a more Imperial/rebellion-based story, but I am really enjoying this and I love that the twist is taking us in a very dark and interesting direction. Almost feels like "Breaking Bad" or something, which was a series of the character getting himself into worse and worse scrapes and just barely managing to pull himself out of them.

Bravo!
Lance Quazar wrote:Well, here's another rare unicorn sighting for you, Justin!

About time! Ha ha

Lance Quazar wrote:At this point, it seems redundant to keep praising the extraordinary technical aspects of your story, but, once again, they are absolutely second to none with spectacular dioramas and an extended cast of extraordinarily creepy undead customs.

Well I'm actually struggling to determine how to approach the primary diorama setting for the next few chapters. I'll update my diorama thread over time as I make (hopefully!) some progress.

Lance Quazar wrote:This is another awesomely cool action-packed episode with a fantastic, killer twist at the end!!! Wow, I did NOT see that coming with Vader and the tracking device. Just when you thought Rykrof's life couldn't get any worse!!!

I'm not sure what the plan is with Vader/Palpatine and the relic, particularly as it relates to Tylin. I can't quite recall all the details of the earlier chapters (should probably go back and read!) but will Tylin get "busted" by his superiors for trying to get the relic?

Also, Tylin obviously is the one holding Rykrof's family as hostages, but I'm sure Vader doesn't see Tylin as any kind of threat or obstacle, he can just swoop in and grab the family from him if/when necessary.

I'm glad people seem to like the twist with Vader forcing Rykrof's hand. I decided that it seemed like a good way to make Rykrof's situation even worse, but seemed like a feasible thing to happen.

As for Tylin, there will be an outcome for his decisions to try and get the relic for his own personal gain. Vader's not happy with Tylin, but Palpatine has found Tylin to be useful for him in the past. So that is to Tylin's advantage.

Tylin does have control of Rykrof's family, but Vader's "deal" with Rykrof doesn't mean that Vader has any intention of "taking them away" for Rykrof's benefit.

Lance Quazar wrote:I do hope that Rykrof is going to swing that shuttle around to grab his friends! Or maybe his plan is to lead Vader on a goose chase? He's probably just still figuring it all out at this point. Wow, can't WAIT to see how this crazy turn of events unfolds.

Right, he is still figuring it all out. What should he do? What would a loving parent do in this predicament? Should he tell the others? Or will he betray them to try and save his family? Can he even trust Vader?

Lance Quazar wrote:I think the zombies here were a fun addition to your universe, but I really do respond more to the other kinds of cool story twists that you - and you rolled out a doozy in this episode. Really terrific.

That said, the zombie story was very well told and made sense in the larger framework of your universe. I really dug the Badoo Corba angle. And seeing Mubbas as an undead was a priceless cameo!

Yeah, the whole zombie thing was kind of risky to be honest. It might pull some people in while turning others off. But that story arc is now behind the series, at least for now. I'm glad you liked the Badoo Corba's involvement and all that, and Mubaas as an udead was fun. I wanted to go into that more, but I figured that might just drag the story on without needing to.

Lance Quazar wrote:Just a few small critiques - I don't think you need to show the "Long time ago" and opening crawl at the beginning of every chapter. It feels pretty redundant.

These chapters aren't "BIG" stories like a movie. They are like TV episodes or chapters in a book. I think a crawl is appropriate at the beginning of each new "adventure" - but those larger adventures are broken up into small, digestible chunks. So I think it works to have a big crawl for the beginning of the entire story that is the relic/Tylin story. But I think you should wait until this storyline resolves and you're onto the next one before doing it again.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Had I done this differently and made "trilogies" then it might have made more sense. I've set a precedent now, so I'll probably leave it but I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Lance Quazar wrote:I also think it was a mistake a few episodes back for Vader to have told his troops to "not harm" Rykrof. Now we know the reason why (and, as I said, it's a terrific twist!!!) but it seems like this chapter would have been much scarier/more tense/exciting and more effective if we thought Rykrof was in greater danger. If, when Vader showed up, we were truly scared about what was going to happen. As it is, knowing Vader wasn't going to harm Rykrof took just a little of the tension out of the scene.

I see your point but I also think that kind of opened up the chance that the other characters could die here. We know Rykrof is the center of the story, and is going to live through all of this (well maybe not all of it, but at least through this part of the story). I get your point though.

Lance Quazar wrote:Anyway, thanks again for another sterling chapter. This has been a great story so-far, the entire Tylin/artifact arc. I know I earlier said I wanted to see a more Imperial/rebellion-based story, but I am really enjoying this and I love that the twist is taking us in a very dark and interesting direction. Almost feels like "Breaking Bad" or something, which was a series of the character getting himself into worse and worse scrapes and just barely managing to pull himself out of them.

Bravo!

Thanks my friend! This storyline is still evolving. But I will say, there will be a rebel component soon as Rykrof is headed to Kala's base of operations, and Rykrof will see an old friend or two there. He might not be happy to see one of them -- and Rykrof will be forced to decide between his family and his friends in the next chapter.

My family and I went Thursday to Sunday. We honest[…]

Fantastic. Off to share. :) :wink:

This is really accomplishment. I love the Haunted[…]

Before Boba Fetts untimely demise he was working o[…]

If "Self Customs" wins, we're posting J[…]

Recent Finds/Acquisitions: Vintage/SOTDS

With the help of someone on facebook I was able to[…]

Stormtrooper Party Pack

This concept is just begging for a reinvention of […]

Nice!! What a great gift!