Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Can't believe I'm just now getting around to see this. The wife and I relocated to California back in January, and found out a week later she was pregnant. Needless to say, it's been a crazy transition period for us, and our son arrived on the 7th of this month. All that to say, I've been away from the forums a bit.

Anyway, what an amazing chapter to tune back in on. I love it.

Your scenery has reached a level where I don't know how you can continue to improve on it. Every time you post a new chapter I want to dive in an finally get around to all the diorama projects I've ever thought up, you backgrounds are so engrossing and inspirational.

Your zombies really steal the show here, though. They look incredible. There's enough to really feel like a horde, but they're diverse and each has a ton of visual character. They're dirty and messy but beautifully made. I was reading this on my phone and found myself stopping every few image to zoom in and get a really good look at the customs.

I like your use of established characters, like Vader. You write their tone well and they act in a way consistent with what's been established about the character. His manipulation of Rykrof is excellent, and looks like a great lead into the next part of the story. I hope we get to see some of the Jedi Kala's been helping hide out, and I hope that means some new Jedi customs from you. I love the shift in style of your figures into what I suppose is the "Rebels" era... it's always a treat to see your next take on your established cast.

This chapter got me thinking about Freelo, and his relationship with Rykrof. We know he means well, but I wonder what it is that makes him so inseparable from Rykrof. He plays the fool from time to time, kind of fills the 3P0 role a bit, but Rykrof obviously puts a lot of trust in him. I don't think that's bad writing, in fact it makes me more interested. I started to think maybe this would be the moment we saw Freelo really stand tall and save the day, or going with the zombie tropes, maybe even die saving Rykrof. Instead we got classic apologetic Freelo insisting, "I was watching your blind side!", and you know what, it was just as satisfying.

Seriously, this has been a great series of chapters, and I'm always happy to see you're still at it. I think you've balanced your zombie homage with the Star Wars feel wonderfully, and I hope you find a way to continue to include some "scarier" figure designs in future chapters as you've got a real knack for it, even if we're moving away from the undead story.
DanOfTheDead wrote:Can't believe I'm just now getting around to see this. The wife and I relocated to California back in January, and found out a week later she was pregnant. Needless to say, it's been a crazy transition period for us, and our son arrived on the 7th of this month. All that to say, I've been away from the forums a bit.

Hey that's okay, reading these things, much less taking time to comment on them, is pretty consuming!

Thank you for taking the time to do that for me though, and wow - CONGRATS on the little one! That's fantastic news! And the move too, wow -- you have so much going on right now, big life changes!

DanOfTheDead wrote:Anyway, what an amazing chapter to tune back in on. I love it.

Your scenery has reached a level where I don't know how you can continue to improve on it. Every time you post a new chapter I want to dive in an finally get around to all the diorama projects I've ever thought up, you backgrounds are so engrossing and inspirational.

Thanks, I was lucky with how the Dathomir scenery turned out. The next big environment is going to be a challenge - in terms of approach, I'll probably look at it in a similar way. Make a base ground area, with a painted backdrop, and as much as I can, modular scenery... as a hint, it's a Rebel base.

DanOfTheDead wrote:Your zombies really steal the show here, though. They look incredible. There's enough to really feel like a horde, but they're diverse and each has a ton of visual character. They're dirty and messy but beautifully made. I was reading this on my phone and found myself stopping every few image to zoom in and get a really good look at the customs.

Thanks! I was hoping to add diversity, but also have a good gathering of them - in some ways, I am sure I missed some opportunities here to make it more creepy and all that. It's just so hard.

DanOfTheDead wrote:I like your use of established characters, like Vader. You write their tone well and they act in a way consistent with what's been established about the character. His manipulation of Rykrof is excellent, and looks like a great lead into the next part of the story. I hope we get to see some of the Jedi Kala's been helping hide out, and I hope that means some new Jedi customs from you. I love the shift in style of your figures into what I suppose is the "Rebels" era... it's always a treat to see your next take on your established cast.

Thanks for that too, I like pulling in a few established characters like Palpatine and Vader, but not much more. I always want to have the freedom to tell stories for characters we don't know.

As for Vader's manipulation of Rykrof, I will say that Rykrof is going to be in for a shock in the next chapter in just how much control Vader has over him right now.

And YES! There are a few more Jedi survivors. It does mean more Jedi customs. They are about all completed now. And they are not in traditional Jedi gear anymore.

DanOfTheDead wrote:This chapter got me thinking about Freelo, and his relationship with Rykrof. We know he means well, but I wonder what it is that makes him so inseparable from Rykrof. He plays the fool from time to time, kind of fills the 3P0 role a bit, but Rykrof obviously puts a lot of trust in him. I don't think that's bad writing, in fact it makes me more interested. I started to think maybe this would be the moment we saw Freelo really stand tall and save the day, or going with the zombie tropes, maybe even die saving Rykrof. Instead we got classic apologetic Freelo insisting, "I was watching your blind side!", and you know what, it was just as satisfying.

As for Freelo, his character was one I never intended to take as far as I have. Over time he's been loyal to Rykrof, and I get the opportunity to use him in a humor role to a degree. Freelo's main "moment" was in the last chapter of the previous series when he shot Tylin Gere - who survived, but Freelo showed his protectiveness of Rykrof. Since then he has become more or less family to Rykrof, and replacing the role of "best friend" that Tylin Gere once was, and also his Wookiee friend (who has not shown up yet since many chapters ago in the series when Rykrof sent his wife and son into hiding during the Clone Wars). That Wookiee will be back, as will another Jedi (the Duros) who escaped Order 66 when the order was given while Rykrof was with him on a campaign to infiltrate a terrorist hideout where Freelo was imprisoned.

DanOfTheDead wrote:Seriously, this has been a great series of chapters, and I'm always happy to see you're still at it. I think you've balanced your zombie homage with the Star Wars feel wonderfully, and I hope you find a way to continue to include some "scarier" figure designs in future chapters as you've got a real knack for it, even if we're moving away from the undead story.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm definitely still at it, just don't have the time I used to have to devote to these right now, mostly due to being a parent... so the chapters take longer to make. I'm trying to make it worth it for readers by making this series stronger than the last one during the clone wars - plus, I find this era a lot more intriguing too.

Thanks again - and enjoy that little boy! Spoil him with love and be there for as much as you can. They grow up too fast...

:wink:
blaster_e11 wrote:Once again, I must say I'm really impressed by the sheer quality of your work. The dioramas and the customs are perfectly shot and brought into life with clear lighting and amazing effects.

Thanks for maintaining such a level of quality in your work and keeping up feeding us our regular dose of Enloe's adventures.

Thank you as always for the support and feedback. It means so much to me.

:wink:

They are everywhere across the universe. Like ver[…]

This jawa figure features pivot hips, wrists and w[…]

TVC 2019/2020 Discussion

[quote="YAK_Chewie" When at Disney, pic[…]

Yakfinities #74 - Vote Now

Two more days of voting, but we both might be out[…]

Retro Vintage Figures

OK, here is my lineup. I still need to open Tarkin[…]

Time for another update. Here are some Jedi/Rebels[…]

Ewok Love

For all we know, we might see Ewoks in Episode 9..[…]