Era of Darkness VOL 2: Chapter 2

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Jodo
Force Sensitive

Era of Darkness VOL 2: Chapter 2

Postby Jodo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:29 am

Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 1: Chapters 1-10
Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 2: Chapter 1

The air is thick with the smell of alcohol as the men walk through the tavern's door.

The patrons look up quickly as Able Squad enters the establishment-

-Curious to know who has entered their domain.

An older man grunts to himself as he turns to see the men, squinting as he stares at the group.

Just as fast, the occupants go back to their drinks, as well as their own business.

"Do you see the bounty hunter?" asks Meade quietly.

Kane continues scanning the mostly vacant tavern. "No."

He sighs to himself as he approaches the bar. Haas and Meade follow him, as if acknowledging silent orders.

"Hey there fellas," says a waitress from behind the bar. "Why don't you take those helmet off and stay a while? What can I get you?"

Kane tilts his head to catch a glimpse of the waitress as he speaks. "We're waiting for a friend."

"Not a lot of friends in Ethna," she says over her shoulder. "Let me know when your pal gets here," she smirks, moving on to one of her more regular customers.

"How long do we wait?" asks Haas, his impatience getting the best of him.

"We'd better not stay around too long," replies Meade. "You never know who might show up."

Then men strike up a conversation, prepared to pass their time as they wait for the bounty hunter to arrive.

"Well," says Kane, staring at an empty cup on the counter. "Nice of you to show up."

"I followed you from your little alleyway," says a bold voice.

"You don't blend in well. How you carry yourself is too...Imperial."

"How I carry myself is my own business," replies Kane coolly.

"And how I get paid is mine," states the man.

Kane stares at the cloaked figure for some time before finally breaking the silence between them.
"You said 40 credits for her whereabouts?"

"75 get's you the 'no name' deal; we'll keep this all anonymous."
Kane furrows his brow under the old helmet. "45, and you walk out of here," he says gruffly.

"50," replies the man, "and you'll know exactly where the girl is."
"For 50 credits you'd better tell me where she is right now."

Kane motions to his men. The other ex-soldiers quietly slide Kane the amount of credits which he has agreed to.

"There you go," smiles the shadowy figure under his cloak, as he reaches for the money. "Easy, wasn't it?"
"Cut the antics," demands Kane. "Now."

"So," chuckles the man, his voice becoming more conversational as he pockets the money. "You tell me 'hunt down a Dreya'. You tell me she's somewhere here in Ethna, and she's probably armed. That sounds about right."

"I take a guess, and think she probably flew in through the spaceport, under an assumed name," the man motions with his hands. "So I start looking there. I try to turn up some leads, and see what I can see. Two days in, I find out about this one-eyed Cerean, a big headed fellow. I heard he could lead me to your girl."

The man nods his head, reassuring himself. "Followed that guy up real good, and sure enough I caught sight of a girl that matched the discrip you gave me."

"A couple days after that I find her alone in the market, so I followed her for a while - not that I could complain."

"So she's here," says Haas to himself.

"Well, now that's where it went all weird", he says, pointing at the men. "You told me she was armed, sure enough, but-"

"-What you don't say to me is that, 'hey, she's with the Rebel Alliance'".

Haas and Meade look at one another, aware that many bounty hunters refrain from taking on any Rebel or Imperial contracts.

"Now you could imagine my surprise at that little fact, right?" he says sarcastically. "I mean, come on!"
"I told you all that you needed to know," replies Kane. "You found her, and that's what I needed."

"And that's surely worth your 50 credits, right?" the man takes a step back. "Confirmation she's around here?"

"For that many credits we need a precise location," says Kane firmly.
The man chuckles to himself. "For that many credits, I don't really blame you!"

Angered, Kane's old armor creaks as he takes a step closer. "You're not leaving until I know where she is."

Meade grips the former lieutenant's shoulder firmly.

"Hold on now, no need to get physical," the man takes another step back. "Not yet anyway! Because I tell you what, I would really like to see how all this plays out," he smiles. "I really would, honestly."

"But I think I'm gonna have to be leaving now," he says in a whisper. "Before things have the potential to get," the man winks, "messy." He turns to depart as the group of ex-Imperials watch him closely. Kane grips his hand to his blaster firmly.

"Not here, not right now," cautions Meade. "You shoot him, and Imperials will be here in seconds."

"I would appreciate that you refrain from doing that," says an elegant voice, which fills the room.

"Using a blaster tends to draw attention to one's self," says the being.

"I'm Anorial," he announces, in what seems like a hushed grandeur that echos throughout the small bar. "-The one-eyed Cerean."

"And general of the Rebel Alliance," he says with regale.

"I'd like to talk to you about what happened on the Aberrant Dawn."

~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Re: Era of Darkness VOL 2: Chapter 2

Postby CloneCrazy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:52 am

Another excellent chapter! I really enjoyed all the background details! Ill give proper feedback later, but just wanted to let you know I read and enjoyed it.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Always on the ball! Thanks for checking it out man!!! :mrgreen:

I already have chapter 3 and 4 photographed, so I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks!
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
!
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Another good chapter! I read it once and then reread it checking out all the details in the background. They look great! I'd actually like to see a "lights on" shot of the cantina.

BTW, if you cut the base off of tiny Xmas lights, they make for good wine bottles.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks for checking it out twice man!

I actually took non-character shots of the diorama for the Yakfinities thread, so I'll be posting them there soon! And yeah, I had more cups and assorted bottles, but I left them at my grandparent's house when I was traveling a few weeks ago. I ended up getting those wine glasses and bottles out of some packs at Michael's for a few bucks, which were easy to paint too.
!
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Third time’s a charm!
If you’re interested there are Star Wars themed liquor labels on the net. Shrink em down to scale and you got yourself some cool labels. If you haven’t seen my Tuesday challenge on RS yet, check it out. Oodles of different bottles.

In my comment on another chapter I said they would stand out in their armor. I didn’t know they were wearing clone armor at the time so nevermind. It all looks the same to me.

Your text is getting tighter. You said enough in one sentence where you would have written more. I enjoyed that more. Your exposition conveyed information I couldn’t readily discern from the photos which was also good (text gave personal thoughts and stage directions).

I enjoyed the mystery of the bounty hunter. For a moment I thought it might be Dreya, but I realized it shouldn’t be. I’m looking forward to the next chapter.
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Cool chapter. So will the bounty hunter's identity remain a mystery? Love the imperial propaganda posters. A neat touch. Also, in the penultimate shot, what's up with the patron in the background? Too drunk and spilled his drink? :lol: I, too, enjoy taking in the background of these photo novels. Can't wait for the next one.
darthapathy
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby darthapathy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:36 am

Another great chapter. I really like the feel of it. I like the tension and anticipation of the encounter with the bounty hunter.

Quick question; is it the Second Son tavern or Second Sun? I've seen it both ways.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:56 am

Utinniii wrote:Third time’s a charm!
If you’re interested there are Star Wars themed liquor labels on the net. Shrink em down to scale and you got yourself some cool labels. If you haven’t seen my Tuesday challenge on RS yet, check it out. Oodles of different bottles.

In my comment on another chapter I said they would stand out in their armor. I didn’t know they were wearing clone armor at the time so nevermind. It all looks the same to me.

Your text is getting tighter. You said enough in one sentence where you would have written more. I enjoyed that more. Your exposition conveyed information I couldn’t readily discern from the photos which was also good (text gave personal thoughts and stage directions).

I enjoyed the mystery of the bounty hunter. For a moment I thought it might be Dreya, but I realized it shouldn’t be. I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

I wish I would have known/thought about the SW labels! That would have been perfect for the bottles behind the bar. I might end up doing that anyway because I'm going to use them in my Outlander Club diorama (if I ever do one).

Yeah, they're wearing surplus armor! A fine tuned eye will also notice all the Stormtroopers stationed on this planet are also wearing side pouches on their belts, something not typically worn otherwise!

Thanks for the comment about the text getting tighter. I usually go through 3-4 times to fine tune things, but now I wait a week or so and edit once more. I also removed like 4 or 5 frames when I was shooting. The shots just weren't viable, or they looked funky. :P Thanks again for reading man!

Darth Vlad's Clone wrote:Cool chapter. So will the bounty hunter's identity remain a mystery? Love the imperial propaganda posters. A neat touch. Also, in the penultimate shot, what's up with the patron in the background? Too drunk and spilled his drink? :lol: I, too, enjoy taking in the background of these photo novels. Can't wait for the next one.

Nope, we might be seeing more if that character!!!! :wink: :P And yes, I decided early on he was going to be my town drunk! :lol: The waitress only ever went over to him too. :lol:

darthapathy wrote:Another great chapter. I really like the feel of it. I like the tension and anticipation of the encounter with the bounty hunter.

Quick question; is it the Second Son tavern or Second Sun? I've seen it both ways.

Thanks for the comment man!! I'm looking forward to the next several chapters, I think they fit into a similar theme. :)

And I actually went back and forth on the name for some time, but ended up going with "Second Sun". I thought I eliminated all the "sons", but I see I missed it in the title frame! GAH! I did several of them months ago, so it eluded me. I'll fix it right now! Good catch!!
!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Question: are the members of Able Squad clones or enlisted men? I assume this takes place between episodes 3 and 4. I've always gone on the impression that Stormtroopers were enlisted (or more likely conscripted) after the Clone Wars, but I know in ANH: SE clones became Stormtroopers. I guess if you have them as clones then that would explain why Able Squad chose to wear helmets in the cantina as it would be obvious who they are instead of trying to fit in with the crowd of humans, etc.

Thanks! Inquiring minds (or at least one) want to know.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:32 am

Yeah, after the Clone=Stormtrooper aspect of the PT I've always assumed the Imperial ranks were a mix of clones and human conscripts. :)

Also, about to shoot chapter 5 today! I literally just finished a diorama for that chapter, so as soon as everything dries on it I'm going to shoot that installment!
!

Return to “Photo Novels”