Jodo
Force Sensitive

Era of Darkness VOL 2: Chapter 4

Postby Jodo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 1: Chapters 1-10
Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 2: Chapter 1
Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 2: Chapter 2
Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 2: Chapter 3

For many, lawlessness and crime is the way of life in Ethna.

For others, becoming a bounty hunter is more suitable.

But beneath these guises of life, a common denominator can be claimed by some in this wretched city.

The willingness to shed the darkness of depravity-

-And to embrace life.

As the man enters another corridor an Astromech makes a familiar whirring noise.

"Corky," says the man with a smile. "Right were I left you."
The droids almost purrs as it greets him.

"Yeah, I scored big yesterday: 50 credits from a client, 100 I pocketed from some Imp, and 20 from a game of sabacc this morning."

The droid makes a high pitched noise in agreement.
"I know, now we can fix the Wench and get her up and running again," says the man as he inspects the back of the narrow corridor.

"Maybe we'll be able to finally get off this rock."

The man reaches out and wipes a slight scuff off of the droid. "Hopefully we can get you some oil or something too."

"I bet you'd like that, huh?" he says, brushing the debris off with his hand.
The droid makes several sounds in exclamation, whipping its dome back and forth several times.

"How sweet," says a deep voice from the opposite end of the alley.

Suddenly Kane grabs the young man and pushes him up against the wall.
"It seemed like it was our turn to follow you this time."

"I see that," says the man, clearing his throat as Haas relieves the man of his pistol.

"Nice droid," he snickers. "Mind if we take it? You do owe us some credits."

"He owes us more than that", says Kane gripping the man tighter. "What was that little set-up you pulled yesterday at the bar?"

"Come on," chuckles the bounty hunter. "It was just dumb luck. They caught me while I was looking for your girl, Dreya," he struggles. "I didn't have a choice!"

"Everyone always has a choice," says Kane as he punches the man in the stomach.

"I didn't!" he replies, trying to catch his breath as Kane knocks the man to the ground. "They're terrorists," he says. "You never know what they'll do!"

"You never know what we'll do either," says the ex-solider as he draws his pistol from its holster and points it at the man.

Meade stares silently as sweat collects on the palms of his hands and doubt begins to fill his mind.

Making several noises, the droid pushes itself forward towards the group, trying to intervene in the altercation.

"Now, right now, I can kill you," says Kane walking towards the man.

"Do you realize this? Do you understand it?" he says forcefully. "I'll kill you."

"Yeah," says the man. "I'm reading you on that."

"And I am damn close to pulling this trigger. Believe me."

"But I'm not going to," growls Kane. "Instead, it's your choice now."

"We still need someone who can get close to the Rebels and the One-Eyed-Cerean you set us up with at the tavern."

The man breathes deeply as he stands, considering his options.
"And you already have an 'in', and you owe us," says Kane. "So make our deal right and you walk out of here alive. Got me?"

"Yeah, I get you."

"I'm gonna need some insurances that you'll cooperate with us, so we're taking your droid."

The Astromech squeals in disapproval.

"It's okay, Corky," says the man as he looks at Kane.

"And," adds Haas, blocking the droid with a loud thud, "If you don't do what we tell you, we'll trash your ship."

"You guys are some crowd," the man says sarcastically. "Just running up in here and expecting me to do all of this stuff for you," he stretches his back as it crackles slightly. "Now you're gonna take my droid and destroy my ship."

"We don't have to do it this way," stammers Meade. "Kane, we-"

"No," says the man. "You do. I should have expected this. But then again, you know most of my clients aren't on the run from the Empire."

Kane grabs the man and throws him to the ground once more.

"And do you know why that is?" asks Kane forcefully.

Suddenly a static burst cuts through the air as a pair of Stormtroopers enter the alleyway.
"Hey! What's going on here?"

"You," demands one of the troopers. "Put your hands where we can see them!"

"Everyone drop your weapons!"

Kane raises his hands slowly, as his old armor scrapes against itself.

"I didn't do anything!" says the man.

"No one move!" shouts one of the Stormtroopers.
"Call for back-up!"
"Copy that," says the other. "Keep your hands up!"

"Alright, everyone against the wall-"

The trooper begins to shout as a sudden jolt of pain enters his body, but the noise is cut short as a knife twists into his neck.

The other soldier turns to see what has happened, but quickly meets his end as well.

The alleyway goes quiet as the second trooper falls to the ground, lifeless.

"Not very discrete-"

"Kalin."

"Space me," says the man, astounded, as he gets back to his feet.

"Who-who are you?"

"He's with us...And he'll do the same to you," says Kane. "We're Able Squad."

"Yeah," replies the man quietly. "I'm Jai Wroth. I think I'm your new rebel contact."
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Re: Era of Darkness VOL 2: Chapter 4

Postby CloneCrazy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:25 am

Sorry its taken me so long to reply to this chapter, I read it the night it came it and enjoyed it!

From a technical standpoint, I thought that your photography much crisper than last chapter. I can only imagine how difficult it is to produce this with a iPhone camera, so kudos to you! I LOVED the diorama this issue!!! Between the wreaked cityscape and cantina Ehtna might be one of my favorite locals shown in a photonovel.

I know I'm beginning to sound predictable, but I just cannot compliment you enough on the use of angles and framing. I LOVE this shot in particular:

Speaking of the opening scene, I think it showcased some of your strongest writing to date. I also enjoyed the story being told from the bounty hunter's perspective, it helped to expand the universe of your narrative and flesh out the world everyone is operating in. The relationship between the bounty hunter and the droid really humanized his character. Which of course makes Able Squad's antics all the more questionable. You've done a very good job reminding us that Kane and company are, in their souls, stormtroopers. Kalin's reintroduction was well staged and dramatic, a great climax for the action built up throughout the chapter. The story can move forward in any number of ways now, so I've very interested to see how it plays out.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the comment man!!! Outside of Tamer on ISY you're the only one to comment so far, across three sites. I enjoyed writing and shooting this chapter, so I guess that's all that counts. :lol:

Yeah, the Iphone is handy in some aspects, as it allows me to get closer or in-between stuff to get some images, but then on other occasions I seriously can't stand using the darn thing. Plus, the latest update for it just added a bunch of features to the camera, and I'm sure I'll have to fight that the entire time. :roll: :x

I'm super glad you enjoyed this chapter though! I'm honestly looking forward to your thoughts on the next two chapters immensely. After shooting both I almost couldn't wait to post them. LOL. The next chapter is almost ready to go too...I can't decide if I should wait, or just post it in a week when I have time to complete it. Part of me wants to publish it, and the other part of me wants to wait just in-case I suddenly can't photograph anything for a month,etc. School is already killing me, and it's not even started yet. :oops:

I'm hoping to finish shooting chapter 7 tomorrow though, since I'll have a few hours to my self.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 pm

I'll post more later but in regards to your above question, I'd suggest waiting and let us take in the previous chapters and appreciate them. It will allow us to comment on the previous chapters as well. I understand busy with two kids and recovering from some horrific jet lag.if anything, post some teasers for the upcoming chapter and leave with breath bated.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:19 am

You had me at bated breath! :mrgreen: You're definitely right, I think I'll stick to the once a month/every several weeks schedule. Just in case!

Thankfully, I was also able to finish chapter 7 too. If I can't find time to photograph at least there's some wiggle room for a little while.
!
Choi
Nerf Herder

Postby Choi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 am

Excellent work! I think I may have missed a chapter at some point, I've been all sorts of busy lately. But you've got a great story going here! Like others have said, your angles and photography in general are really great! I'm excited to see what happens next, and now I'll have to go back and see what I missed! :D
The newest chapter of my photonovel, Alliance Intelligence, is up! You can check it out here: http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=8327&p=161239#p161239
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 pm

Hey man, thanks for the comment! It's much appreciated! If you get a chance definitely look back through and see if ya missed an installment. Heck, I may have missed it myself with how busy I've been. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks again!
!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:03 am

Very nice read, it's nice to see the story moving forward.

Really nice scenery. It really feels like a Star Wars town. I especially appreciate the flooring/ground. Little details like that totally bring an environment together.

My only gripe is how Kalin killed the Stormtroopers... not the knife, but the lack of struggling... I'd expect a bit more action... like him grabbing a trooper while slitting his throat, and while the other turns, for Kane to take the second one down.

On any note, it was a fun read and I'm looking forwards to what's next... oh and I really like the name Corky for the droid.

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 am

...also nice to see one of Able Squad unmasked!

Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:47 am

YAK_Chewie wrote:Very nice read, it's nice to see the story moving forward.

Really nice scenery. It really feels like a Star Wars town. I especially appreciate the flooring/ground. Little details like that totally bring an environment together.

My only gripe is how Kalin killed the Stormtroopers... not the knife, but the lack of struggling... I'd expect a bit more action... like him grabbing a trooper while slitting his throat, and while the other turns, for Kane to take the second one down.

On any note, it was a fun read and I'm looking forwards to what's next... oh and I really like the name Corky for the droid.

Thanks again for the comment on the environments! Originally, I had planned to use some "summer grass" flooring, which looks like dried/burnt up grass; however I think the industrial non-forgiving floor ended up looking better, especially combined with the cold dreary look of the buildings.

Yeah, that scene did go pretty quick, but Kalin did take them down with surprise on his side! Plus, I wanted to focus on his quick and colder demeanor!

Glad you like Corky's name too!

YAK_Chewie wrote:...also nice to see one of Able Squad unmasked!

Yes! It's like a sigh of relief after seeing helmets for so long! With Kalin being away, he ended up shedding his gear...
!

Return to “Photo Novels”