Image Image Image Image Image

From the Quazar ArQuives - Volume 1: "Lockdown"

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

From the Quazar ArQuives - Volume 1: "Lockdown"

Postby Lance Quazar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Okay, so here's a deep dive into the past....

in April of 2004, I posted my very first attempt at a photonovel on Rebelscum. While certainly far from the first photonovel in existence, this predated the later photonovel craze and even beat Chewie's first Rykrof Enloe chapter to the punch by nearly a year.

Unfortunately, it got exactly three meager replies, one of which was just nitpicking all of the "errors" in my story (such as - that kind of AT-AT didn't exist yet and Admiral Thrawn was only a captain at the time of my story - facts that, somewhat ironically, have recently been changed to make me retroactively correct.)

Due in part to the utter apathetic shrug that greeted my photonovel and the fact that I really didn't have in a good plan in place for realizing my ambitious concept, I never went back to this story.

But I found the pictures in an old CD the other day, so I thought I'd dust it off and trot it out for you good people.

Basically, the story was meant to dramatize how Mon Mothma escaped from Coruscant after the dissolution of the Senate, narrowly avoiding capture by the Empire.

As far as I'm concerned, "Rogue One" heavily implied (without stating it directly) that Mothma was still an active senator at the time of ANH, though "Rebels" tells us that she had already left the Senate and was a fugitive prior to that (which I think was, frankly, a goof by the Storygroup, but whatever...)

So, in my imagined timeline, she is still very much a senator and is caught off guard when the Empire closes ranks and begins arresting "problem" senators as the Emperor decides to do away with the Senate entirely.

Well, anyway....all that said, here is the first (and only) chapter of "Star Wars: Lockdown", a forgotten gem from 2004, back when my photo manipulation skills were at an absolute bare minimum!

So please enjoy this time capsule from a distant age!

Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Re: From the Quazar ArQuives - Volume 1: "Lockdown"

Postby Darth Kikinou » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Pretty cool! It was a promising start, too bad it's so short! Where are the senate pods from?

LQ, I implore you - resume the Aayla series!
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Good start for a story.

I can see how it would be frustrating not to get feedback (me: 4 dios, 0 feedback) especially since you take/took the time to support others.
However, if you enjoy making them, then by all means make them. In a different forum, another member pointed out that even though there were few comments, it was still getting a lot of views so it was worth it.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Mon May 01, 2017 1:02 am

Ah, now that's a blast from the past. Very, very cool and fun reading that again... this makes me really miss your Deak Starkiller series.

Speaking of feedback... Rykrof's waiting. :lol:

:wink:
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Tue May 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Darth Kikinou wrote:Pretty cool! It was a promising start, too bad it's so short! Where are the senate pods from?

LQ, I implore you - resume the Aayla series!

The senate pods are pure movie magic! Those are just digital images I pulled off the net and (poorly) photoshopped my characters into. Actually, I don't think I was using photoshop when I made this, but some other rudimentary photo editing software. I know that I just wound up putting the images in a word processing program, hence the "shape" of the pages.

This chapter predated the release of the senate pod toy from the Revenge of the Sith line.

Thanks for the encouragement about Aayla, but I just don't know if I'll be able to ever realize my ideal version of that story. It was meant to be a much longer story with numerous chapters.

If I do anything in the PN world again, it'll probably be a smaller, more self-contained story kinda like what this Mon Mothma story was supposed to be.

:)

Utinniii wrote:Good start for a story.

I can see how it would be frustrating not to get feedback (me: 4 dios, 0 feedback) especially since you take/took the time to support others.
However, if you enjoy making them, then by all means make them. In a different forum, another member pointed out that even though there were few comments, it was still getting a lot of views so it was worth it.

Wow, I just checked out your dio thread. Amazing!!!! So much diverse and interesting work. I'll be sure to comment in the thread, but you have some exceptional dios there. And you've always been a great commenter and booster of PNs yourself, so thanks for always being there for others!

YAK_Chewie wrote:
Ah, now that's a blast from the past. Very, very cool and fun reading that again... this makes me really miss your Deak Starkiller series.

Speaking of feedback... Rykrof's waiting. :lol:

:wink:

Heh. Awesome "Blast from the Past" image. yeah, sorry that I got lazy about Rykrof. Whenever I give you pre-release comments, I often forget to make comments in the actual, posted thread.

I miss Deak, too. I hope he's doing alright. ;)
jlw515
Droid

Postby jlw515 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Dude it is so strange that I would come across this post! I was just sending an email and your email popped up in my contacts list which prompted me to come to Yakface and see what you had been up to.

I thought that was an excellent start to the "other-verse" of the Trilogies i.e. the story behind the story.

Jason
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Thu May 04, 2017 3:45 pm

jlw515 wrote:Dude it is so strange that I would come across this post! I was just sending an email and your email popped up in my contacts list which prompted me to come to Yakface and see what you had been up to.

I thought that was an excellent start to the "other-verse" of the Trilogies i.e. the story behind the story.

Jason

Thanks, Jason. But you shouldn't be writing ANY emails until you give us the PROMISED conclusion to your epic "Vader's Quest" series!!!

YOU OWE US!
jlw515
Droid

Postby jlw515 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:
jlw515 wrote:Dude it is so strange that I would come across this post! I was just sending an email and your email popped up in my contacts list which prompted me to come to Yakface and see what you had been up to.

Jason

Thanks, Jason. But you shouldn't be writing ANY emails until you give us the PROMISED conclusion to your epic "Vader's Quest" series!!!

YOU OWE US!

"Vader's Quest. . .Vader's Quest, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. . ."

Ah man, that's probably a promise I won't be able to keep. I've gotten rid of so many Star Wars figures and vehicles in the past 5 years. I've been working on earning my undergrad degree, graduating tomorrow, and starting grad school this fall. I try to fit in time to work on GI Joe customs when I can. I've got an idea for a GI Joe photonovel -- if I can ever find time to start working on it!

Jason
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Postby CloneCrazy » Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 pm

That was awesome!!! I'm glad you were able to rescue this gem and share it with us! The only problem is, I want to see MORE of it :D I certainly get how difficult it is to see a PN through, it has been impossible for me to find anytime for mine lately :| Thanks for sharing this, Lance!
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 am

CloneCrazy wrote:That was awesome!!! I'm glad you were able to rescue this gem and share it with us! The only problem is, I want to see MORE of it :D I certainly get how difficult it is to see a PN through, it has been impossible for me to find anytime for mine lately :| Thanks for sharing this, Lance!

Thanks very much! Photonoveling is a lonely and time consuming mistress, that's for sure!

But the world is eager for another one of your chapters! So get cracking!
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sat May 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:
CloneCrazy wrote:That was awesome!!! I'm glad you were able to rescue this gem and share it with us! The only problem is, I want to see MORE of it :D I certainly get how difficult it is to see a PN through, it has been impossible for me to find anytime for mine lately :| Thanks for sharing this, Lance!

Thanks very much! Photonoveling is a lonely and time consuming mistress, that's for sure!

But the world is eager for another one of your chapters! So get cracking!

Isn't that the truth!!!

Basically, the story was meant to dramatize how Mon Mothma escaped from Coruscant after the dissolution of the Senate, narrowly avoiding capture by the Empire.

As far as I'm concerned, "Rogue One" heavily implied (without stating it directly) that Mothma was still an active senator at the time of ANH, though "Rebels" tells us that she had already left the Senate and was a fugitive prior to that (which I think was, frankly, a goof by the Storygroup, but whatever...)

So, in my imagined timeline, she is still very much a senator and is caught off guard when the Empire closes ranks and begins arresting "problem" senators as the Emperor decides to do away with the Senate entirely.

That's how I interpreted RO's implications as well. I actively avoid the Rebels TV show because I dislike it so much, so it's weird to see they went another route. RO seemed to act as if it was a secret she was there, or it was at least not her day job. :lol:

Overall, as mentioned before, I really like the idea of this PN, and wish we could see just a bit more! As much as I love reading these old chapters, it makes me want to continue to the next chapter to see what happens next!!!!
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Jodo wrote:
That's how I interpreted RO's implications as well. I actively avoid the Rebels TV show because I dislike it so much, so it's weird to see they went another route. RO seemed to act as if it was a secret she was there, or it was at least not her day job. :lol:

Overall, as mentioned before, I really like the idea of this PN, and wish we could see just a bit more! As much as I love reading these old chapters, it makes me want to continue to the next chapter to see what happens next!!!!

Thanks, Jodo! Wish I had the time to do more photonoveling, it's so much fun. But also extremely frustrating, boring and insanely time consuming. But it's great to be able to read the finished product.

Yeah, "Rebels" messed up with Mon Mothma. And they made a few other weird choices this year, like having the Rebellion basically establish their famous Dantooine base for what felt like about five minutes before moving to Yavin. Lame.

I think the show has overall had a lot of good episodes, but just as many mediocre episodes and, when all is said and done, I think it will go down as a missed opportunity more than anything. I love the "idea" of the show, but the execution is all over the place.

Thanks again for reading!!

Return to “Photo Novels”