CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Knights of the Old Republic #14 Monsters

Postby CloneCrazy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Re: Knights of the Old Republic #14 Monsters

Postby Utinniii » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:44 pm

I commented elsewhere but I just wanted to add, how nice it is to see all of the customs you use. It really makes the story more interesting.

I mentioned that I like how you introduced the characters. It is a good reminder of who is who. However, by ranking them as you did, I got the feeling which characters were more important (= less expendable) than others. I may be totally wrong about that, but that's what I felt.
Codaks
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Codaks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:39 am

Personally I've never been that happy about the comic style, but somehow you make it work.

Your physical captions are great, I really hope to see more of this style. It makes me think you might be useing a macro lens for that blurr on the background. I've been a fan of this era ever since KOTOR games. Seeing familiar faces like this actually work for me. This is something that really inspires me to do some work myself. I hope you'll be keeping the style.

In general the way you built up your chapters is cinematic, in a way that reminds me of childhood television. I like that.
Codaks --- OUT ---
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm

SO very happy to see a new chapter of this marvelous series!!!!!!

I really like the intricate storytelling, how Juhani's backstory is now tying into events with the arrival of Xor.

I really love how even the villainous Chundaar is given a slightly sympathetic light as we see that he has little choice but to comply with the wishes of the even more powerful and sinister Xor. Very sophisticated storytelling here, bravo!

I really love the continued use of practical sets and dioramas. The woods look really terrific here, as does the continued use of Chundaar's headquarters.

Small nitpick, the arrival of the beastie in the woods feels a little abrupt. The transition between the conversation about Malak, etc. and the arrival of the creature feels sudden and a little awkward. It's such a non-sequitir, going from discussion of the star map immediately to "there's something out there."

I think maybe you could have massaged that a little bit. Maybe even connect them somehow. "Revan and Malak...even now, I can still feel a residue of the dark side..."

"That's not a residue! Look out!" Then the beast crashes into their location.

Or maybe just have a weird sound disrupt their conversation. "Did you hear that?" "There's something out there..." Just something to massage that moment a bit.

Really really love the new character of Bindo and his world-weariness and cynicisms. Great stuff!

Xor is another piece of fine characterization. He comes across as truly sinister and evil, but also with just enough nuance to not make him cartoonish and over the top.

Really good cliffhanger with Bastila and Kast in a moral dilemma about how to complete their mission now that they have befriended the mysterious "shadow demon."

I worry just a little bit about the plot of this chapter becoming a little too linear and plot-y, though. First, we arrive on the planet and are told we have a mission to find the "shadow demon". Now we have to find yet another person for the shadow demon. You're not there yet, but you do slightly run the risk of making this particular chapter too plot driven. It's hard for audiences to care too much about simple, straightforward "quests".

Fortunately, this is balanced by some great character work and some real dramatic stakes. Zalbarr and Chundaar. Juhani and Xor. And now the arrival of Bindo and how Bastila and Kast will deal with him. So I'd just caution you to make sure you keep those personal conflicts and dramatic stakes front and center and try not to put too much emphasis merely on the specifics of the plot. Good plotting is obviously important but what really resonates with audiences are sympathetic characters and how the stakes of any particular story are personal to them. (there are exceptions, of course. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" isn't particularly personal, but it's one of the best adventure movies of all time. Still, if there wasn't the intimate, personal connection between Indy and Marion, we'd eventually lose interest.)

Anyway, thanks for cranking out these amazing installments!!! I am really digging this particular "chapter" of the story (if we consider each separate larger story a "chapter". Like this is the Kashyyk/Zalbarr chapter, as opposed to the Onderon "chapter" that preceeded it.)

:D :D
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Postby CloneCrazy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm

I commented elsewhere but I just wanted to add, how nice it is to see all of the customs you use. It really makes the story more interesting.

Thanks again for your support, buddy!

I mentioned that I like how you introduced the characters. It is a good reminder of who is who. However, by ranking them as you did, I got the feeling which characters were more important (= less expendable) than others. I may be totally wrong about that, but that's what I felt.

Glad you liked the introduction, I feel that it really helps to reconnect with the narrative. As far as who is expendable; everyone is :twisted:
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Postby CloneCrazy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Personally I've never been that happy about the comic style, but somehow you make it work.

Thank you for commenting and I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the comic style!

Your physical captions are great, I really hope to see more of this style. It makes me think you might be useing a macro lens for that blurr on the background.

Moving forward I'm going to try and blend practical and digital effects for the series. The blur of the background is achieved by manually turning down the aperture on my camera.

I've been a fan of this era ever since KOTOR games. Seeing familiar faces like this actually work for me. This is something that really inspires me to do some work myself. I hope you'll be keeping the style.

Glad to hear that you love this character as much as I do! While I love all the OT era photonovels, I like the era variety that my series offers. Hopefully we'll see you try your hand at a photonovel soon!

In general the way you built up your chapters is cinematic, in a way that reminds me of childhood television. I like that.

Thank you, that means a lot!
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Postby CloneCrazy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:50 pm

SO very happy to see a new chapter of this marvelous series!!!!!!

Thanks, Lance! I'm always happy to hear that you enjoyed a chapter and really appreciate your feedback.

I really like the intricate storytelling, how Juhani's backstory is now tying into events with the arrival of Xor.

Thanks, Lance! I felt that it was time to give Juhani's character some more depth and Xor offers a great opportunity to do that.

I really love how even the villainous Chundaar is given a slightly sympathetic light as we see that he has little choice but to comply with the wishes of the even more powerful and sinister Xor. Very sophisticated storytelling here, bravo!

Every "villain" has motivations for their actions and I feel it is alway interesting to explore those. Chuundaar is no different and we'll see that moving forward.

I really love the continued use of practical sets and dioramas. The woods look really terrific here, as does the continued use of Chundaar's headquarters.

The mix of practical and digital effects really takes the series to the next level and will be the standard moving forward.

Small nitpick, the arrival of the beastie in the woods feels a little abrupt. The transition between the conversation about Malak, etc. and the arrival of the creature feels sudden and a little awkward. It's such a non-sequitir, going from discussion of the star map immediately to "there's something out there."

I think maybe you could have massaged that a little bit. Maybe even connect them somehow. "Revan and Malak...even now, I can still feel a residue of the dark side..."

"That's not a residue! Look out!" Then the beast crashes into their location.

Or maybe just have a weird sound disrupt their conversation. "Did you hear that?" "There's something out there..." Just something to massage that moment a bit.

You're 100% right there and I actually considered going back to add a few more frames to make the arrival less abrupt. However, in the end I decided it was better to just move forward and release the chapter. It is always a debate between going back to improve portions versus trying to get chapters out "on time".

Really really love the new character of Bindo and his world-weariness and cynicisms. Great stuff!

He's one of my all time favorite characters, so I'm glad you like him!

Xor is another piece of fine characterization. He comes across as truly sinister and evil, but also with just enough nuance to not make him cartoonish and over the top.

Of all the villains I've had in my series, Xor is by far the most genuinely evil. He's a bad dude and he enjoys it.

Really good cliffhanger with Bastila and Kast in a moral dilemma about how to complete their mission now that they have befriended the mysterious "shadow demon."

I do enjoy my cliffhangers :D

I worry just a little bit about the plot of this chapter becoming a little too linear and plot-y, though. First, we arrive on the planet and are told we have a mission to find the "shadow demon". Now we have to find yet another person for the shadow demon. You're not there yet, but you do slightly run the risk of making this particular chapter too plot driven. It's hard for audiences to care too much about simple, straightforward "quests".

Fortunately, this is balanced by some great character work and some real dramatic stakes. Zalbarr and Chundaar. Juhani and Xor. And now the arrival of Bindo and how Bastila and Kast will deal with him. So I'd just caution you to make sure you keep those personal conflicts and dramatic stakes front and center and try not to put too much emphasis merely on the specifics of the plot. Good plotting is obviously important but what really resonates with audiences are sympathetic characters and how the stakes of any particular story are personal to them. (there are exceptions, of course. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" isn't particularly personal, but it's one of the best adventure movies of all time. Still, if there wasn't the intimate, personal connection between Indy and Marion, we'd eventually lose interest.)

This chapter is certainly more character driven than plot driven. I agree that the plot of this chapter is rather straightforward, which allows me to play with the characterizations more.

Anyway, thanks for cranking out these amazing installments!!! I am really digging this particular "chapter" of the story (if we consider each separate larger story a "chapter". Like this is the Kashyyk/Zalbarr chapter, as opposed to the Onderon "chapter" that preceeded it.)

That's exactly how I think of the story; almost like miniseries in comics or arcs from a TV show. Thanks again for taking the time to comment, your feedback is always helpful and insightful!
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:49 am

CloneCrazy, I don't have time to provide feedback on this amazing chapter right now...But I wanted to let you know that Photobucket has stopped allowing 3rd party image sharing. You might look into a new site for hosting your images (because I will have to as well). :roll: :| :(
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 am

Jodo wrote:CloneCrazy, I wanted to let you know that Photobucket has stopped allowing 3rd party image sharing. You might look into a new site for hosting your images (because I will have to as well). :roll: :| :(

I can't begin to tell you how ticked that has made me. Years of work wasted. I kinda feel like giving up on sites like this because of it.
Let me know of a good site when you find it.

On a sadder note. Karaoke in the Cantina is (probably) gone for good.
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Utinniii, exactly...Even if there would have been some extended notice or something, that would have been nice. I know a few times I went over their bandwith limits, so I thought maybe that was the case again. Then I saw a post on the RPF. If it weren't for the Photonovel Alliance backing up Era of Darkness...I can't say I would even want to continue my own series. Heck, I may have needed to put together "Volume Recaps" or something just to continue from the established story. :? :| IMGUR is what I am using now. It is about 100% fasted than PB, and I should have switched over much sooner.

Anyway! :lol: CloneCrazy, this is my third or fourth time reading through this chapter, and I have to say that I really love this one. The figures all look amazing, and I think your continued use of digital and physical sets continue to compliment the series as it goes on. I'm looking forward to seeing more with our new creepy old man character, and how he plays into the narrative. Please, please, please don't kill him off! I don't know if I can take two old man deaths in a row (*cough, Chewie, cough*). :P

I agree that the monster coming out was a bit abrupt, as was the fight, but holy crap do I hope that figure returns. It looks awesome. It would be really cool to see the old man tame it or something. That figure really works well, I can't get over how nice it looks. Speaking of which, I didn't realize how big Xor was. That was really cool seeing him up against the other characters.

Very nice chapter man, as always, I'm looking forward to more!
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
CloneCrazy
Cantina Bartender

Postby CloneCrazy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:21 pm

CloneCrazy, this is my third or fourth time reading through this chapter, and I have to say that I really love this one.

Thanks, buddy! Sorry it has taken me longer to get back to you, but I was busy over the holiday weekend. I always appreciate your feedback!

The figures all look amazing,

Thanks! A few of the customs are mine, but the vast majority come for eBay and the Winter Wookiee comes from Sjefke!

and I think your continued use of digital and physical sets continue to compliment the series as it goes on.

I think the blend of sets looks MUCH better! I'm glad everyone seems to agree.

I'm looking forward to seeing more with our new creepy old man character, and how he plays into the narrative. Please, please, please don't kill him off! I don't know if I can take two old man deaths in a row (*cough, Chewie, cough*). :P

Jolee is a very cool character and will play a major role in the narrative moving forward. I make no guarantees that he will not fall prey to senicide :twisted:

I agree that the monster coming out was a bit abrupt, as was the fight, but holy crap do I hope that figure returns. It looks awesome. It would be really cool to see the old man tame it or something. That figure really works well, I can't get over how nice it looks.

No doubt, the transition to the monster's attack was definitely rough. However, I would say our heroes didn't fight the monster; it was more like a fighting withdrawal :lol: Glad you like the monster figure, I knew I had to have it when I saw it on clearance. The monster will absolutely be making a return.

Speaking of which, I didn't realize how big Xor was. That was really cool seeing him up against the other characters.

The Xor figure is
and is a great deal of fun to work with! Xor is one of the figures I purchased from eBay.

Very nice chapter man, as always, I'm looking forward to more!

Thanks again! Always appreciate your feedback! Off to share my own on your new episode!
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Agh! Image links broken!
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Damn you, photobucket.

:x
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:54 pm

You can email me the images directly if you're having trouble with hosting photonovelalliance@gmail.com
And then you're welcome to link back to those images from here!
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Return to “Photo Novels”