Image Image Image Image Image

Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Jodo
Force Sensitive

Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1

Postby Jodo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 1: Chapters 1-10 and Volume 2: Chapters 1-10

Meade clears his throat. "This is risky."
"You sure about this?" asks Haas.

"Hardly," says Kalin.

"I'm glad we can put our differences aside," says Anorial. "We need these supplies to further our efforts."

"And what about our needs?" asks Kane. "What about getting Brior out of that prison?"

"If you can help us accomplish this task," Anorial responds, "We'll provide you with any assistance that we can."

"Kane?" asks the Alliance rifleman. "You alright?"

Kane blinks several times before looking over at the man. "What?"

"I said you okay?" he says with concern.

"Yeah," he replies. "Just...Thinking."

"Visual contact reported," whispers Sergeant Paige, another Rebel operative. Suddenly a chill rushes through the small alcove, with everyone becoming alert, their hair standing on end. "They're on their way."

"Call 'em up, we're set here."
"Copy," replies another voice through his helmet's headset.

The deep sounds of Imperial transport engines roar as they move through the air.

A clear sound of warning for anyone in the way to leave-

And a stark reminder of Imperial dominance that cuts through even the wind.

"Watch it!" yells the Imperial-

-As a speeder quickly blocks the road and brings a cannon to bare.

"Hands up, hands up, don't move!" shout several voices as the alliance soldiers rush the speeders.

"Get out of there! Keep your hands up!"

Shocked, the Imperial don't know what to do.

Overwhelmed, they reluctantly comply, knowing there is little chance at successfully resisting.

"Don't move!" orders one Rebel. "Keep those hands up!"

"Go, come on!" shouts the Alliance operatives as they clear the speeders.

Shouts of "Get out of there!" and "Move it!" fill the air as the Imperials surrender to the rebels.

Able Squad promptly enters the alley way, marching calmly, as if they had rehearsed their role many times.

The Imperial Stormtroopers exchange faceless stares as the two groups pass one another.

Neither ever knowing who might be concealed under the other's white armor.

"Follow me," says a rebel as Meade and Kalin enter the transports.

"Keep walking!" yells one of the riflemen.

"We're good," says Haas, leaning over to gloat.

"We are good," smirks Kane under his helmet as he settles into his seat. "We're moving."

"Copy," says Meade, piloting the second speeder, revving its engine.

"Copy," says Kalin, bringing up the rear.

The speeder's engines whine as it unblocks the path.

And the Imperial transports suddenly jerk forward, their valuable cargo of hyperdrive parts and fuel lurching as they accelerate.

"Attention, Wicked Wench"

Anorial says, speaking into his communication device as he steps out into the alley, watching the speeders depart. "They're moving out now."

"Copy, be advised-" says a voice.

"I have visual on the column's movement."

Smiling, in a more lighthearted manner, Jai turns around. "Are we okay back there?"

"No contact," says Dreya with a serious tone.
"Good," says Anorial sighing slightly.

"Sergeant Caliber?" he asks the Alliance solider standing near him. "Do you think we've made the right decision? Trusting Kane like this?" he says calmly, in a tone that demands reverence.

"I'm not for certain, sir," replies the man, as they exchange stares.

"Neither am I," he says solemnly, "Let's hope we have, We're relying on those hyperdrive parts to get us off Ethna."

Anorial turn on his heel, gracefully walking away from the man.

"Sergeant," pauses the one-eyed Cerean. "Tie up the loose ends, will you?"

"Yes, sir."
"Anorial says do it."

"Do it!" orders the man.

"Wait!" shouts the Imperials. "Hey! Wait-"

~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Re: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1

Postby Jodo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I owe everyone responses on the last chapter still, and I still need to give some feedback! Sorry for the delay! :cry:
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Those pics look great. I'll read up and provide feedback soon, I hope!

:wink:
Codaks
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Codaks » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm really impressed with this chapter, just like the previous chapter. You manged to add a whole new level to the scenery, with the way you made these captions. Really awesome work. :shock: The way it scales WOW I love the use of vehicles in vast numbers :lol:

The story is pretty straight forward and the dialog fits perfectly into this. Gotta hand it to you, Kane is right, you are good :wink: Best chapter to date.

The ending wasn't a surprise for me, but a great way to end the chapter. Brutal assassination of imps 8) I'm normally the guy that roots for the empire, but what better way to start off the week :?:

I believe this might become one of my favorite chapters :!:
Codaks --- OUT ---
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm

AWESOME.

Thanks for the terrific new chapter. (hey you really need to catch up on replies to the previous chapter, too)

This had the tension of a heist movie, the operation was very cool and efficient and exciting to watch unfold.

Whoa, wasn't expecting that dark ending. That was grim. :)

I can't help but think, though, had we seen Kane's face all this time, you could have done the beginning in a way that was slightly less confusing.

Like we actually see Kane and Able Squad putting their helmets on.

Seriously, man! They've changed outfits three times at this point and still no faces! I think you're deliberately messing with us at this point.

Also, not enough Dreya! She should have been running the op, not just being the gunner in Jai's fighter. Especially since she's a long-standing member of the rebel cell, whereas Jai is a newcomer who isn't fully a part of their group yet. She shouldn't be subordinate to him. Or really anyone except Anorial. Would have been cool to see her as the gunner in the speeder or maybe as the poor Sgt. who had to carry out the grim death sentence.

We have history and affection for the character, so please use her more and do her justice. :)

Outstanding weathering on that ARC fighter, BTW.

Seriously cool chapter. K2's quote can't help but come to mind about Kane & his squad - "You're a rebel now."

I do wonder why the cell is literally trapped on Ethna without the supplies, though. Did they get cornered there or caught off guard or suffered too many loses in equipment, etc. to leave? Feels like a whiff of explanation would be nice. Otherwise, they look like they just really didn't plan for their road trip very well.

Anyway, great stuff and thanks again for keeping up the great (and frequent!) work with these installments.

:)
UKHistory
Scavenger

Postby UKHistory » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Fun story. Neat to see I loved seeing the arcfighter. Neat ship to see moving into the future. Good custom and set layouts
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Just read through, nice chapter. Not a lot of action, but I liked the way you told the story here.

I do agree with Lance - we gotta see these guys faces. With as fun as this story has been, that is my one real criticism. When they first landed on the planet, or something - we should have at least gotten a glimpse.

I know making customs that work on those clone bodies can be tough, but Kane is one with the Faie body that I think you could have done something with, without too much effort. And how that you are using the awesome Spacetrooper body for the gang, I think you have an opportunity to do it. Or maybe we don't ever see their faces? Maybe as part of the "last act" we will see them? Or at least what Kane looks like?

This is minor -- there are a lot of times when the dialogue indicates Kane "says" or he "says" or the man "says" - if you can swap the word "says" out it will make that much less redundant. I catch myself doing it and end up sometimes doing counts of this to try and replace descriptive words like that.

Back to the story now - it was fun. I like the situation and where this is going - looking forward to what Kane decides to do next to try and save Brior - and I was surprised to see the rebel cell kill the Stormtroopers in cold blood!

Great visuals too, as always!

Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:58 am

Great chapter! I agree that having the Rebels be so brutal in the end makes the Empire look less villainous.

Helmet counterpoint: Kaine (especially) is transforming from Imperial cog into an individual. His armor is his identity. He is working with but hasn't joined the Rebellion. As his crew shed their Imperial Identities, their individual styles (and faces) should finally manifest.
I'd be OK with never seeing Kaine's face, or at least until he fully realizes himself. In a way, he is all of us and I'm sure I'm not the only one that imagined myself under the helmet.

In V For Vendetta, we never saw his face, because it didn't matter. What do we lose by not seeing it (especially since the toys can't really offer much in emotion, although you do an excellent job at conveying emotion with your shots!!)
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:00 pm

]
Codaks wrote:I'm really impressed with this chapter, just like the previous chapter. You manged to add a whole new level to the scenery, with the way you made these captions. Really awesome work. :shock: The way it scales WOW I love the use of vehicles in vast numbers :lol:

The story is pretty straight forward and the dialog fits perfectly into this. Gotta hand it to you, Kane is right, you are good :wink: Best chapter to date.

The ending wasn't a surprise for me, but a great way to end the chapter. Brutal assassination of imps 8) I'm normally the guy that roots for the empire, but what better way to start off the week :?:

I believe this might become one of my favorite chapters :!:

Thank you very much man!!! I'm a huge fan of vehicles, and the more the better! I'm also a big supporter of the Empire, so it was easy to portray those blood thirsty Rebels in this way! :lol: :P

Thanks again man, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this chapter so much!

UKHistory wrote:Fun story. Neat to see I loved seeing the arcfighter. Neat ship to see moving into the future. Good custom and set layouts

Thanks, and I agree! The weathering and lack of weapons on it worked perfect for Jai's craft. I'm looking forward to using it more in the story for sure!
!
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:AWESOME.

Thanks for the terrific new chapter. (hey you really need to catch up on replies to the previous chapter, too)

This had the tension of a heist movie, the operation was very cool and efficient and exciting to watch unfold.

Whoa, wasn't expecting that dark ending. That was grim. :)

I'm slowly catching up on stuff, though I am in my office right now, LOL. The heist aspect is definitely accurate of it. Maybe I should have called the seires Kane's 11? :lol:

I can't help but think, though, had we seen Kane's face all this time, you could have done the beginning in a way that was slightly less confusing.

Like we actually see Kane and Able Squad putting their helmets on.

Seriously, man! They've changed outfits three times at this point and still no faces! I think you're deliberately messing with us at this point.

You and those helmets! :lol: :P

Part of me is messing with everyone deliberately, but I am doing it purposefully! As far as the characters go, they're still not ready to let their "Imperialness" go. For them, the uniforms represent that, and it's a hard change. Kalin was the opposite, as he took time away from the group and ditched any armor entirely. That character has left it all behind, and is definitely more independent of the group. Kane, Meade, and Haas on the other hand still grasp at straws to fit in with that group, and won't be giving up too easily.

Utinniii really summed it up well in his post, much better than I ever could! :mrgreen:

Another point would be that helmets actually are their faces. Which may even be a scarier thought. As they enlisted, this has become their identity. Their helmets do provide the dissolved aspect of individuality, and that is something else they'll have to cope with. How do you become a person when you haven't been one for so long?

But I know you and others want to see what's underneath! :P :wink:

Also, not enough Dreya! She should have been running the op, not just being the gunner in Jai's fighter. Especially since she's a long-standing member of the rebel cell, whereas Jai is a newcomer who isn't fully a part of their group yet. She shouldn't be subordinate to him. Or really anyone except Anorial. Would have been cool to see her as the gunner in the speeder or maybe as the poor Sgt. who had to carry out the grim death sentence.

We have history and affection for the character, so please use her more and do her justice. :)

Outstanding weathering on that ARC fighter, BTW.

Originally, I had planned to use her in the ground operation, but then I thought she had too much humanity to follow through with it. Maybe Anorial is protecting her innocence, separating her from his actions...But I do agree, she will be used more and become prominent once again! I need to keep that in check for sure. I'm gonna re-focus a few upcoming chapters on her!

Seriously cool chapter. K2's quote can't help but come to mind about Kane & his squad - "You're a rebel now."

I do wonder why the cell is literally trapped on Ethna without the supplies, though. Did they get cornered there or caught off guard or suffered too many loses in equipment, etc. to leave? Feels like a whiff of explanation would be nice. Otherwise, they look like they just really didn't plan for their road trip very well.

Anyway, great stuff and thanks again for keeping up the great (and frequent!) work with these installments.

:)

Definitely!!! Kane and his men will continue to deal with this slippery slope, and they'll be faced with some tough decisions in the future.

I agree, a bit of explanation would have been nice there, LOL. In my mind, they're just simply spread too thin. Between being low on supplies, damaged equipment, and logistical factors, they can't afford to do much on Ethna or in the city.

There will be more explanation about that soon!

Thanks for the feedback as always man! It's always a pleasure hearing your input, and I hope you enjoy the next few chapters! :mrgreen:
!
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm

YAK_Chewie wrote:Just read through, nice chapter. Not a lot of action, but I liked the way you told the story here.

I do agree with Lance - we gotta see these guys faces. With as fun as this story has been, that is my one real criticism. When they first landed on the planet, or something - we should have at least gotten a glimpse.

I know making customs that work on those clone bodies can be tough, but Kane is one with the Faie body that I think you could have done something with, without too much effort. And how that you are using the awesome Spacetrooper body for the gang, I think you have an opportunity to do it. Or maybe we don't ever see their faces? Maybe as part of the "last act" we will see them? Or at least what Kane looks like?

More of this helmet stuff there, eh? :lol: :P

I defintiely think the Spacetrooper bodies will offer a better ability to do that. Like you said, the Clone Trooper head balljoints were definitely not forgiving in that regard!

Just so everyone knows, I do have a concrete plan on when faces will be revealed! :mrgreen: :wink:

This is minor -- there are a lot of times when the dialogue indicates Kane "says" or he "says" or the man "says" - if you can swap the word "says" out it will make that much less redundant. I catch myself doing it and end up sometimes doing counts of this to try and replace descriptive words like that.

Back to the story now - it was fun. I like the situation and where this is going - looking forward to what Kane decides to do next to try and save Brior - and I was surprised to see the rebel cell kill the Stormtroopers in cold blood!

Great visuals too, as always!

That is so funny you mention that because it goes back to my literature and creative writing classes. My main professor that taught me (and took me under her wing, and actually has a character in this series named after her) always made us use "says" or "said". Using descriptive words was a big "no-no", as it doesn't let the reader decide how a character is in their mind. I would argue that it should be the author's intention which is conveyed, but four years of that being drilled into me has left its mark, LOL. I'll definitely try to switch it up just a bit more though.

Thanks for reading (as always) man! :mrgreen:

Utinniii wrote:Great chapter! I agree that having the Rebels be so brutal in the end makes the Empire look less villainous.

Helmet counterpoint: Kaine (especially) is transforming from Imperial cog into an individual. His armor is his identity. He is working with but hasn't joined the Rebellion. As his crew shed their Imperial Identities, their individual styles (and faces) should finally manifest.
I'd be OK with never seeing Kaine's face, or at least until he fully realizes himself. In a way, he is all of us and I'm sure I'm not the only one that imagined myself under the helmet.

In V For Vendetta, we never saw his face, because it didn't matter. What do we lose by not seeing it (especially since the toys can't really offer much in emotion, although you do an excellent job at conveying emotion with your shots!!)

THIS.

I want this on my tomb stone.

Very well said man. I agree 100%, and this was the perspective that I write from for the gang. Couldn't have ever worded it as perfect as you did. :!:
!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:12 am

Maybe at some point show one of Kane's crew walk in as he's just putting his helmet on... only show the back of his head for a tease. And do stuff like that from time to time... just an idea.

Utinniii
Cantina Bartender

Postby Utinniii » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:41 am

Vader did it first!! :twisted:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am

Indeed!

:lol:
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Vol 3 Chapter 2 will be coming soon. I photographed a lot of it this morning, only to realize a serious flub on my part, so all the images will be retaken, and I'll have to start over. :|

In the spirit of Ron Howard, here's a behind the scenes shot...

!

Return to “Photo Novels”