Image Image Image Image Image

Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 2

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 2

Postby Jodo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 1: Chapters 1-10 and Volume 2: Chapters 1-10
Click Here for Era of Darkness Volume 3: Chapter 1

"We're getting closer," says Kane, almost as if to himself.

"Lyndon for Odyssey."

"Go for Odyssey," says Anorial into his communication device.

"I'm at a road block," states the young Rebel, acting casual as his speeder idles. "Lots of civilians and Imperials."

"I don't see a way around."

"Tell Kane and the others they'll be stopped ahead. Remain calm. Stick to the plan."

The men of Able Squad are advised of the upcoming check point as they continue through the city.

"We've got this boys," reassures Kane. "No worries, we've got this."

"Stay alert," suggests the rebel, turning to look at his partner.

Basso looks around, his eyes swiftly moving from place to place.

"Hey," whispers the young man. "Basso, hey."

"Basso," he says in a hushed yet firm tone. "You okay?"

"Yeah," replies Basso. "I'm fine. You okay?" he asks, still in a partial daze.

"Stay alert," whispers the Rebel. "If this thing goes sideways those Ex-Imps are gonna need our support."

"Did you hear me? They're gonna be counting on us!"

"Yeah," Basso shakes his head slightly. "It's just-I'm fine," he says suddenly. "I'm fine."

With the deep roar of the Imperial speeders approaching, the men hunker down.
"Gorram, here they come!"

"Easy," Kane tells his men. "Remember, we're just passing through."

"Just some more faceless buckets," smirks Kalin under his helmet.

A pair of Stormtroopers exit the barricade and walk towards the column of transports.

One of the soldiers gestures towards the first speeder, eventually indicating them to stop.

"Just standard checks today," says the man approaching the speeder. "These are the hyperdrive parts for," he thinks. "Maviste?"

"Copy that," Kane nods. "We're on our way to Maviste."

The other solider acknowledges his response, and studies the speeders as he looks through the log.

He continues walking to the next speeder, looking up every once in a while from the display screen.

He glances at the third speeder as Kalin looks forward, avoiding any eye contact. The soldier walks back towards his squad leader, still looking down at the data pad.

"Alright," he says finally looking up from the log. "Maviste? Long way up there from Ethna City."

A feeling of relief flows over Kane and Haas.

"Just need a code cylinder and they're good to go," says the soldier gripping the data pad.

Kane tilts his head slightly, looking at the pair of men. He extends his hand, griping the small device, passing it to the squad leader.

"Odyssey, this is Wicked Wench," says Jai, high above the road block.

"I got some movement down there. I can barely see them, but looks like there's-"

"Wait," says Dreya quickly. "You see that? "

She shifts around, looking from side to side as Jai dips the craft, allowing them a better view of the scene.

"Looks like-"

"They've got incoming!" she says quickly. "Odyssey, repeat they have incoming!'

The men move around in the speeders, waiting to hear what the soldiers tell them.

"What's the hold up?" asks Kalin out loud, throwing his hand up into the air.

"Look," says Kane. "My commanding officer isn't going to be happy about this, and these hyperdrive parts have to get there somehow." He stares at the men as they type on the data pad.

"Alright," says the squad leader, finally walking towards Kane and Haas. "You're almost clear. Sit tight," he orders. "Just stay here."

"What's taking so long?" asks the Rebel nervously, looking around.

The stomping feet of the walker thumps on the hardened durasteel road as the mechanized beast lumbers into view-

-As a similar thud approaches, matching the noise of the first machine.

The pair of AT-DPs settle awkwardly on their gears, their pistons and inner-workings finally falling silent.

At the same time a slight noise can be heard in the road way, a loud marching, growing as it approaches.
Several Imperial soldiers rush from the barracks, their white armor clanking with each step.

The men stop suddenly, aiming their rifles at the transports.

The hatch opens with a shrill shriek.

"Kane!" shouts Lieutenant Sumner, squinting to see. "Men of Able Squad! By Imperial decree, under the direction of Colonel Elliot," he swallows. "I, Lieutenant Sumner, hereby order your-" he looks at the men. "Your death."

Sumner's voice echoes throughout the roadblock, falling on the people below.

"Reverse," whispers Kane.

"What?"

"REVERSE!"
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
: Part 1
!
Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Re: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 2

Postby Jodo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 pm

And for the special announcement, there will be a two part Era of Darkness Halloween Special this year!!!! :mrgreen:
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of Oct. 27/17: Era of Darkness Halloween Special - "Lurkers"
!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 am

Wow! More comments on the way, but that was great!!

:wink:
Utinniii
Pod Racer

Postby Utinniii » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 am

That was really good.

I'm glad it wasn't easy for them. Otherwise this would have been a cliche chapter. I didn't think they would get past. I don't think it was because you are predictable but rather I expect better than obvious from you.
Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Jodo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 am

Thank you both!!! :mrgreen: The next chapter is done as well, so it will definitely be posted in a more timely manner next month.

Also, a few Easter eggs in this chapter:

The young Rebel was originally going to actually be Jai in the series, but I thought he looked just a bit too young. I wanted a Starlord-esq. person who was a fresh face to the Rebellion, but having a very young looking person just didn't seem right. Instead, I opted for the head sculpt and body of the final character because he had an older but still immature look to him. At the time I had conceived the idea for Jai, all I had written down for his name was "MC", and I still use that as shorthand when I outline. :lol:

And then you might also notice Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba (thanks Steve!) in the background of a few shots. Originally, waaaaaaaay back when, before I had even outlined the series, Able Squad was supposed to encounter that pair on the mysterious ice planet instead of Dreya. They were going to be the main antagonist of the series, and the plot was going to be vastly different than it is now. No Elliot, no Rebels at all, just Able Squad vs. Cornelius and Ponda. :lol:
!
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 am

That was an awesome chapter. The tension was real... could really sense it.

And I love the AT-DP and the baby urban heavy walker, so it's cool to see it appear.

As for the Easter Egg. yes, I noticed Ponda Baba (you didn't flip it on ebay??!!! :lol: ) Just kidding. I'm glad to see him in the shots with his partner in crime. I wonder if you'll ever get back to a story with them?

I'm curious about your Halloween story. I know you mentioned it to me when we met up and I love a little thriller/horror every now and then.

Can't wait for the third installment.
Codaks
Midi-Chlorian

Postby Codaks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:30 am

Oh the suspens... I really love how you handled the tension, during the whole chapter. The climax with the walkers was nicely done. Especially when you take advantage of the perspectives, when capturing those awesome photos. You just can have enough vehicles :wink:

I like the custom paintjobs on the vehicles, it feels as if fit in to the world. Instead of coming out of the box :D

The greyish tone you have in all captions works extremely well with how the story goes. Nice touch with Basso, not to much nor was it neglected. Perfect execution.

I find your photo novel quite unique and extremely enjoyable.
Codaks --- OUT ---
Darth Vlad's Clone
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Vlad's Clone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 am

Also loved you homage to Firefly
Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 am

HOLY CRAAAAAP!!!

THIS CHAPTER IS AMAAAAAAZING!!!

Sorry, will have to reply in more detail later....but Daaaamn!
GrandMoffHux14
Droid

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Had to do a quick sweep through of the photography (I'll read later) and wow! This might be the best photographed photonovel you've ever done, Jodo! Amazing! :)
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Jodo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Thank you all for commenting and I am glad you enjoyed it! I really wasn't quite sure of myself on this one (and the next chapter) given just how many variables were moving around, the 10 vehicles and 20+ figures interacting with one another, AND the requirement of moving the set pieces to give a larger scale to the environment, etc. It was quite overwhelming at times!

I'm glad you all liked it though! :mrgreen: The next installment has been photographed and will be up next month! :mrgreen:
!
Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Jodo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm not dead FYI, just so everyone knows. I might as well be though! :lol:

The next chapter is photographed, but needs editing still. It'll be at least another two weeks before I have any time at all to work on it. I have to finalize my thesis this week and next.
!
darthvlad
Nerf Herder

Postby darthvlad » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 am

And something called TLJ, too
Jodo
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Jodo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 am

I'm going to edit the next chapter this coming week, and hopefully have it posted soon. This week I should be completing my very last assignments for school, and I'll finally be DONE!

Now to only find a job and figure out what I'll do about the apartment...
!
darthvlad
Nerf Herder

Postby darthvlad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Chapter 3 or the Halloween Special? :wink: :lol:

Good luck with assignments and everything else going on in life at the moment. I'm busy myself with parenting now that kids are out of school. So, no writing for the past month. I'll probably have to re-read everything from the beginning to reorient myself. Also, no figure hunts lately. :|

Return to “Photo Novels”