Image Image Image Image Image

The 14 Trial: UPRISING - POSTED!

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Re: The 14 Trial: UPRISING - POSTED!

Postby Lance Quazar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:30 am

jlw515 wrote:Chewie,

Yakface is probably the only SW site I visit anymore.

Jason

Because it's been five years -- FIVE YEARS -- since your last Vader's Quest chapter and you promised -- PROMISED -- that you'd at least do one more chapter to finish out the series.

We're waiting, Jason!!!!!
Utinniii
Pod Racer

Postby Utinniii » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

See that is an excellent (and believable) example of being able to support an idea where multiple viewpoints can be taken.
jlw515
Droid

Postby jlw515 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:

Jason

Because it's been five years -- FIVE YEARS -- since your last Vader's Quest chapter and you promised -- PROMISED -- that you'd at least do one more chapter to finish out the series.

That's awesome, and dedication! Oh man. I don't know if that's even possible anymore.

Love ya Lance!!

Jason
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 pm

darthvlad wrote:Thanks. I believe you had a bar/club and that would be of interest... if you still have it. But I'd be happy to look if you go that route.

I am not sure which item that might be but we can chat!

:wink:
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

jlw515 wrote:
Lance Quazar wrote:

Jason

That's awesome, and dedication! Oh man. I don't know if that's even possible anymore.

Love ya Lance!!

Jason

Would absolutely love to see your series pick back up... really was a fan.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Utinniii wrote:See that is an excellent (and believable) example of being able to support an idea where multiple viewpoints can be taken.

Thank you! :)

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 pm

jorsupersid wrote:Just got around to reading it...

Great job once again. Didn't disappoint. Really love the episodic nature of this series... It always leaves me wanting more!

Thank you jorsupersid for reading and the positive feedback. I appreciate it immensely.

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:38 pm

I like to drop in on Yakface from time to time just to see what you've done with your photonovel. Yakface is probably the only SW site I visit anymore. I appreciate your dedication to the genre and the art of photonovels. I from experience how back-breaking they can be. It can be compared to being: writer, director, producer, make-up, lighting, actor, set builder, editor, etc. of a movie.

Jason thanks for swinging by here still. I wish you'd do that more often. 8)

Yep they are really back breaking as you are very well aware. So much crap goes into these things, LOL.

jlw515 wrote:As always I LOVE your dioramas. I'm always trying to figure out how you made stuff. You did a great job of mixing parts for the dios and action figures - saw some GIJoe parts mixed in there! I really liked the color scheme also. SW tends to have a lot of blues and greys. So, the orange theme brought a nice warmth to the desolation.

Appreciate it, the dioramas are about the most time consuming thing now. I've discovered though that if I make a modular "base" for an environment and put a lot of effort into it, I can get a lot of use out of it. It was probably the Dathomir part of the story that I first tried that a couple years ago. And yep, some Joe stuff can come in handy. :)

jlw515 wrote:It's been mentioned by others, but you do a great job of posing the figures for action shots. My favorite one from this chapter is of the Stormtroopers with the foreground trooper pointing his left hand. It's got an almost 3-D look to it. Plus you get the feeling that the far-most Trooper is climbing/stepping over some kind of debris.

Thanks - adding depth to the pictures can really make a difference for a reader, and it makes the overall experience that much better. It can be challenge because with these I'm working in a pretty confined space and I try not to use many digital elements.

jlw515 wrote:I did read one person's comment about not being able to read the top line of your crawl. I've mentioned this a few times in the past. I'm sure you're using the SW crawl creator page, but the angle is just not right for a flat image. It works if the text is actually "crawling" where you get a closer angle at the bottom, but for a flat text it has always been difficult for me to read. At this point in your series, I'm not sure if you even want to mess with it, but a less steep angle would definitely help.

I''ll probably end up making a change soon, for the next chapter. I need to do better on that front for sure.

jlw515 wrote:Oh, and before I finish; great lighting and photoshop effects also! Not too dark, not too bright! Great work.
Jason

Thank you! I find lighting elements to be very challenging. I never feel like I can get it quite right!

ImperialOfficer
Scavenger

Postby ImperialOfficer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I got bored on the bus this morning and read chapter 1, and it was so good that I read through every chapter on between classes and at lunch, and everything from the customs to the sets to the effects are amazing. I am trying to make my own photonovel, so I have a few questions.
1- what are some tips for mkinig sets? My set was just a cloth tablecloth upside down that looked like sand, so I would like to make something better for other parts.
2- how hard is it to add effects, and what do you add them in?
Collector of Hasbro 3.75, customizer, superfan
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 pm

ImperialOfficer wrote:I got bored on the bus this morning and read chapter 1, and it was so good that I read through every chapter on between classes and at lunch, and everything from the customs to the sets to the effects are amazing. I am trying to make my own photonovel, so I have a few questions.
1- what are some tips for mkinig sets? My set was just a cloth tablecloth upside down that looked like sand, so I would like to make something better for other parts.
2- how hard is it to add effects, and what do you add them in?

Thanks for reading them, I am glad you liked them and really appreciate the feedback.

As for your questions, creating sets really is one of the biggest things I feel helps make a photonovel work well. I used to have a lot of pics in my diorama thread, but the pics are gone. You can see a bit HERE but in that page with pics there's not too many "how to" details. To be honest there are a lot of people with far more talent than I have. I have found though that insulation foam (Home Depot and Lowes sell it) is a great material to work with for buildings but I also really like going to Hobby Lobby and buying their cardboard (almost chip board) boxes and using those as a base for buildings. I would recommend checking out some Youtube videos too by clicking HERE.

As for effects, there are some programs you can probably find online and download to a PC that would help. I personally use PhotoImpact... if you do a google search for it you will find some places where you can get it. Maybe even for free for a trial period. I got my disk download of it at Office Depot some years ago. It's basically a poor man's version of Photoshop.

I hope that helps some, feel free to ask any other questions and am excited to see you're wanting to start making your own series. :)

Utinniii
Pod Racer

Postby Utinniii » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Would it be worth making a Sticky PN Q&A thread?
Darth Kikinou
Sith Lord

Postby Darth Kikinou » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 am

Awesome, we need more PNs!! Chewie I hope you have chapter 15 in the works :-)
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.photonovelalliance.com
The Guardians of Peace and Justice
Episode iii: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:20 pm

If you all want a PN Q&A thread, we can start one and sticky it. My only concern there is people who read PNs might not then provide feedback directly to the creator's individual threads as much, which as we all know means a lot to them.

As for my next chapter, I'm thinking June timeframe. I'm behind schedule.

Lance Quazar
Teras Kasi

Postby Lance Quazar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:42 pm

I'd say you make it look easy, Chewie...but of course this doesn't look easy. It looks masterful. As always.

A very entertaining chapter! I really love the Atracion character, the cynical and rough criminal with just a whiff of humanity left in him to believably want to help Rykrof and help himself at the same time. The "autograph" line is priceless! Excellent writing in this chapter across the board!

Some wonderful customs. I really wish Atracion's "flank squad" was around a little longer, since they all look terrific.

The environment you've created in the past few chapters on the prison planet is absolutely spectacular. So atmospheric and grim and desolate. It just feels absolutely hopeless and bleak. It's a terrific setting, brilliantly executed with your extraordinary dioramas!

I know you said it'll be a while before the next chapter is out, but this one, while a little short, had great action, humor, suspense and ends on another superb cliffhanger. Can't wait to see how this particular storyline resolves. Part of me is eager to see Rykrof sprung from prison and back out in the galaxy having adventures. When will he reunite with his family? Will he go after Baron Gere? Will he cross paths with the nascent rebellion? So many possibilities. But, for now, I'm enjoying the heck out of it, so I can be more than patient as long as the chapters stay this awesome. Which, of course, they will!

:D
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:I'd say you make it look easy, Chewie...but of course this doesn't look easy. It looks masterful. As always.

Thanks my friend, never easy but I will say the techiques have gotten easier for me over time. It also helps that I kind of do these at my own pace now so I don't ever feel rushed anymore.

Lance Quazar wrote:A very entertaining chapter! I really love the Atracion character, the cynical and rough criminal with just a whiff of humanity left in him to believably want to help Rykrof and help himself at the same time. The "autograph" line is priceless! Excellent writing in this chapter across the board!

Some wonderful customs. I really wish Atracion's "flank squad" was around a little longer, since they all look terrific.

Thank you, glad you like Atracion so far. I am enjoying fleshing him out a little bit more. Atraction is an ass, but maybe a kind of likeable one. If that makes sense.

The flank squad was broken up but will still have a part in the next chapter or two.

Lance Quazar wrote:The environment you've created in the past few chapters on the prison planet is absolutely spectacular. So atmospheric and grim and desolate. It just feels absolutely hopeless and bleak. It's a terrific setting, brilliantly executed with your extraordinary dioramas!

Appreciate that, I do feel like it's not expansive enough unfortunately. So I might try to do a bit of digital manipulation in the next chapter for a shot or two.

Lance Quazar wrote:I know you said it'll be a while before the next chapter is out, but this one, while a little short, had great action, humor, suspense and ends on another superb cliffhanger. Can't wait to see how this particular storyline resolves. Part of me is eager to see Rykrof sprung from prison and back out in the galaxy having adventures. When will he reunite with his family? Will he go after Baron Gere? Will he cross paths with the nascent rebellion? So many possibilities. But, for now, I'm enjoying the heck out of it, so I can be more than patient as long as the chapters stay this awesome. Which, of course, they will!

:D

I started on a new diorama this past week that will help me in getting onto the next chapter. It will be a new environment on the planet and add some more variety, I hope. I might make two new areas, actually. That's TBD. But getting that going will help me in making the next chapter sooner. Work his just so busy for me that it pulls me away.

When Rykrof gets off the planet, he's likely going to go on a side mission; one that he's not wanting any part of but is compelled to. It will be explained once he's off planet - or right before he gets off. It won't be what Rykrof wants to do, but ultimately I believe it will make sense... hopefully!

Thanks as always for the feedback and support!

Return to “Photo Novels”