Era: 2008-2010

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By AaylaSecurasMan
They are colling it an "online retailer exlcusive" now, not onle EE will have it but also BBTS and Brian's toys. Not that I care too much about this set, count me in with those tired with rebel pilots, I just stick to the OT ones such as Wedge, Dak, Biggs, etc.
By Grimace
darth_sidious wrote:I'm tired of Rebel pilots as well, so I dont care much about getting this set - its one of those items I'd buy on clearance, but there is no way I'd pay $18 plus shipping for 2 repacks with new heads.

seconded

I bet this set wont be highly sought after
By YAK_Chewie
I feel the same way.

And I'm not against Rebel pilots being released, just so many in such a short time span has burnt me out. I think moving forward, Hasbro needs to space it out better... I mean, these aren't clone troopers where there's a tremendous demand.

I've seen a definite trend (not just in my area, as I've spot checked a bit when traveling for work too and see the same situation) - if you go to TRU, there's still a lot of older Legacy Evolution sets of Rebel Pilots collecting dust, and Wal-Mart still has a lot of the recent Legacy Evolution pilots that aren't moving even at $13.00... and they still have a ton of the pilot comic packs as well.

I seriously think Hasbro overestimated demand for the exact same sculpt being released over and over with different head swaps over a 2-year period. These have hit a wall I think for now because so many came out in such a short stretch of time. What was Hasbro thinking?

If they want to explore more head swaps in the future with army builders, I hope it's with troops rather than pilots. I understand they look to source material for individual characters more for this sort of thing so there might not a great pool of Rebel troops to pull from... but still... there are so many X-Wing pilots available in such a short time span that I can see why so many have been sitting at retail and perhaps this helps give Hasbro more fuel for their argument that "Legacy doesn't sell."

:wink:
By Jedighost009
Hey, guys.
Just a heads up, the 2 WalMart exclusive comic packs (IG-97/Rom Mohc & Storm Commando/General Weir) are available. Just saw them today but wasn't too interested in them. Maybe I'll get the Rom Mohc pack later.
By stroebel83
thanks for the heads up
By Darth_Cuddles
YAK_Chewie wrote:And I'm not against Rebel pilots being released, just so many in such a short time span has burnt me out. I think moving forward, Hasbro needs to space it out better... I mean, these aren't clone troopers where there's a tremendous demand.

I totally agree, Rebel Pilots can be pretty cool, but we've been flooded with them lately and there just ain't enough starfighters to go around!

YAK_Chewie wrote:If they want to explore more head swaps in the future with army builders, I hope it's with troops rather than pilots.

My sentiments exactly, that would be a lot more interesting!
By Paulskywalker
Some of what could have been:

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Rumor_Report_Missing_Comic_PacksMaybe_130043.asp
Not really a rumor, but more of an interesting listing over at Play.com. While they are listing the rest of the now-canceled Comic Packs series, a pair of new sets have also surfaced...(Jaster) Mareel & Montross (from Jango Fett: Open Seasons) and Baron Fel & (Ysanne) Isard (from X-Wing Rogue Squadron). Since the line is finished, the future of these potential sets is uncertain. Surely there's room for more of the always-popular Mandalorians, an ACCURATE Baron Fel, and an important unique female Imperial officer!
By Grimace
I got both of the Wal*Mart exclusive comic sets today

the IG-97 and Rom Mohc set is pretty good
the droid is a repaint of the battle droid from the Target exclusive Geonosis Arena sets, having ball jointed ankles and a collapseable neck to simulate transport mode
the big battle droid gun included isn't entirely accurate to the comic; actually the gun with Rom looks to be more accurate
there are two backpacks to chose from, one is the standard battle droid pack and the other is the double antenna
the weathering on IG-97 is fantastic! I wish more droids came this dirty
the eyes are painted a powder blue that is an interesting color choice
Rom looks to be the same body and limbs as Lt. Sunber from the older comic set with the Amanin Warrior, but repainted with a new head
the paintjob on the head makes him look as if he spends lots of time in the shade; his face is very pale
the articulation has mostly swivel joints, but has ball joints for knees and ankles like the other office figure
no hat was included with Rom, which bums me out just a bit

the Storm Commando and General Weir set is alright
the Commando is just a black Biker Scout with a silver visor
the Commando was not seen in the comic included
he comes with 2 biker scout guns and one holster
General Weir looks like he has the same body as the figure from the Endor pack, Nik Sant, but with an angry bald head
the body is all black as well, having no other paint apps other than a touch of off red on the arms and waistline, and on the visor as well
he also has the off red bandolier which contrasts nicely with the black armor
Weir comes with the same 2 guns as the Commando
his removable helmet fits snugly on his head

I think the sets are pretty good, but I'm not crazy about the $14.88 price tag
By YAK_Chewie
I saw these today as well - my local Wal-Mart had a lot more of the Commando sets, which could be a sign that Hasbro figured out those will be more popular. Still not impressed enough to buy it though, the Imperial Commando that came in the Wal-Mart exclusive Evolution set is so much better that this Comic Pack version is a step back.

I passed on the other set too. Just not interesting to me because Hasbro continues to throw out reused parts to the point where it's sickening... it can be good at times because there are some GREAT molds available, but when they go with outdated molds that should be thrown out, Hasbro has just made the decision EASY for me - and that's for me to NOT throw $15 at them... if they had used the Needa sculpt for Rom Mohc rather than using the old swivel elbows, I would have bought that set for sure.

Hasbro's efforts to "save money" with older, cheaper parts actually is costing them money. Sorry Hasbro, I'm not that easy any more. I'm not going to buy anything you push just because it's Star Wars. I'm 32 and have a lot of things these days that I can spend my money on. If they want to continue to get a portion of what I spend, they need to put forth more effort. And it's slacking off like this on their part that has killed the Comic Packs as far as I'm concerned.

:wink:
By Grimace
Chewie, I think your comments on the comic sets should be reworded as a question and submitted to Hasbro for comment
By tmoaswg
does anybody know how the exar kun and the tholme sets are going to be released? i was really looking forward to those.
By YAK_Jayson
tmoaswg wrote:does anybody know how the exar kun and the tholme sets are going to be released? i was really looking forward to those.

Look for them to start hitting retail any day now as these 5-6 set are scheduled for release in March.
By Grimace
YAK_Jayson wrote:Look for them to start hitting retail any day now as these 5-6 set are scheduled for release in March.

great news! Thanks Jayson!
By Darth_Cuddles
Another thing that I think killed the Comic Packs was - as many have said - the choice of figures, but, not because they were all bad, but because, in my case anyway, most of them seemed to come with one great figure, and one bad one! I found it distasteful to have pay Comic Pack prices when I only wanted one of the figures! I do hope they release some of the other planned Comic Pack figures on single cards at some point - as there were some cool ones planned - and give us more choice at a more affordable price!
I make stuff too!

Here's a group shot I took over the weekend; every[…]

The 16th Trial: Caverns of Death

Thanks for the preview feedback, might be able to […]

received my Klaatu figures from Hasbro Pulse today[…]

I agree she goes better with the theme. But I'm g[…]

TVC Skiff guard 3-pack

I only need Vedain out of this set, but I'm excit[…]

TVC 2019 Discussion

If they offer solid cases of the Stormtrooper, I g[…]

Retro Vintage Figures

These look fun. I have a lot of Vintage figures, […]