Era: 2008-2010

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

What is your interest level in a Death Star playset?

(A) I found the cardboard spherical mockup to be something I would purchase if Hasbro produced it.
10%
(B) I would be more interested in a modular Death Star by Hasbro, similar to Owen D's custom version
71%
(C) I would be more interested in a Death Star playset designed similar to the vintage Kenner Micro Collection, but in the 3-3/4" scale
7%
(D) I would like to see Hasbro reissue the vintage mold 3-3/4" Death Star from Kenner
5%
(E) I am not interested in a Death Star playset
7%
Ok gang, now that we've had a taste of a Hasbro mockup photo thanks to Delaton's investigative work, we're wondering what the interest level is right now for a Death Star playset of some sort.

Please vote and use the images below for reference:

A) I found the cardboard spherical mockup to be something I would purchase if Hasbro produced it.

B) I would be more interested in a modular Death Star by Hasbro, similar to Owen D's custom version

C) I would be more interested in a Death Star playset designed similar to the vintage Kenner Micro Collection, but in the 3-3/4" scale

D) I would like to see Hasbro reissue the vintage mold 3-3/4" Death Star from Kenner

E) I am not interested in a Death Star playset

:wink:
By Paulskywalker
Any playset would be great but i voted for B.
By saddestwookiee
As interesting as that spherical mock-up is, it just loses something. Maybe seeming too small...I don't know. I like the modular version--hence my choice of "B". I'd rather it focused like Owen D's, on a few key areas. Make them at a decent size, rather than everything they can create crammed in a small spheroid.
By The Professor
I definitely don't like the spherical look. It's not at all realistic and stunts teh size of the interior locations. Modular is the way to go!
By Robo-Quack
I really like Owen D's version, it's easily the coolest diorama ever constructed and would make a great playset if Hasbro were to do it right. I sure hope Hasbro's seen it, along with the other stuff he's made over the years.
By YAK_Chewie
Well, personally I am extremely biased in favor of Owen's work. It's unlike anything I've seen around the boards... there's been some really nice custom dioramas and playsets over the years, but to me nothing illustrates what I am hoping Hasbro someday makes quite like his work. Having many pieces, including that Death Star custom playset makes me appreciate that sort of thing all the more.

However, I also like the Mico style a lot... maybe just a much as Owen's style. In a way, those are modular too! But more openly designed and have more of a playset value, while his stuff seems to be more diorama oriented.

I kind of think that a merge of the two styles would be appealing for kids and collectors... who knows.

By jlw515
YAK_Chewie wrote:Well, personally I am extremely biased in favor of Owen's work. It's unlike anything I've seen around the boards... there's been some really nice custom dioramas and playsets over the years, but to me nothing illustrates what I am hoping Hasbro someday makes quite like his work. Having many pieces, including that Death Star custom playset makes me appreciate that sort of thing all the more.

However, I also like the Mico style a lot... maybe just a much as Owen's style. In a way, those are modular too! But more openly designed and have more of a playset value, while his stuff seems to be more diorama oriented.

I kind of think that a merge of the two styles would be appealing for kids and collectors... who knows.

I totally agree!! I actually voted for a playset that resembles the old Kenner micro collection. On a 3-3/4" scale it would closely resemble Owen's modular design.

The whole sphere look, to me, just won't work for 3-3/4" figures. There are certain aspects of the Death Star that need to be linear and not spherical; such as the "chasm bridge" where Luke & Leia swing across, and the Tractor Beam tower.

As far as Owen's custom Death Star goes, I would be more interested in the non-modular piece he did with the curved hallway, the turbolift, and the inset computer terminal.

Either way, I'm not really expecting to ever see this type of playset from Hasbro. Playsets for some reason, today, just don't sell. I really think it has a lot to do with video games, but that's my opinion.

Jason
By countdooku26201
Ivote for the old micro collection design.
By terman123
I love the modular idea, but at this point would love any death star.
By julianmaurice
I waited and waited and waited and waited and waited an waited...

Too late Hasbro I made my own...

I simply used 4 large mountboards and made a huge flatpack playset. (thanks to Niub Niub for most of the decals).

Hasbro have got the right idea as far as figures go, but I think they've lost the plot with their new playsets. They are making everything far too expensive.

I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here, but these playsets would be dead easy to manufacture, they are simply modular card pieces that can slot together. Kenner had the right idea with their cardboard Death Star, this is a very similar idea. Hasbro really have missed a great opportunity over the last few years, now I fear it is just too late.

ImageImage

Oh and if anyone from Hasbro cares to look at this forum why on earth would anyone spend $100 on a new Hoth playset when your old stuff can be bought on e-bay for next to nothing.

Here's what can be done with $10 worth of someone else's castaways.

Last edited by julianmaurice on Sat May 30, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paulskywalker
I've seen your playsets before but not the cool box shot, thats really goof mate. If only!
By julianmaurice
Paulskywalker wrote:I've seen your playsets before but not the cool box shot, thats really goof mate. If only!

If only!
By Paulskywalker
That was supposed to say "good" lol.
By YAK_Chewie
Great stuff, but I think the one thing to keep in mind is that most collectors and kids don't customize. I do hope Hasbro sees your work though, it's inspiring.

The Dark Crystal (Funko) 3.75 line

Received an email from Amazon updating my Dark Cry[…]

I make stuff too!

Productive weekend. This'll be the last new custom[…]

Silvasu Fi p63 / Index p1

You must have quite the collection of bodiless clo[…]

Here is my attempt at a character that may or may […]

Funko Reaction Maria (robot)

Thought this Maria robot figure from the movie Met[…]

TVC 2019/2020 Discussion

There are a lot more SW toy items available in Ta[…]