Era: 2008-2010

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By YAK_Chewie
UPDATE 12/13/2009 - It seems the theory has been proven true, not basing this just off of what collectors are saying here at Yakface, but across other boards too. Then taking into account Hasbro admitting in their Q&A's that cutting back on Legacy severely is their strategy for what they consider success. Title of thread has been changed from The Legacy Hypothesis Photo Thread to the current title. Please feel free to continue to submit photos of the developments at your retail stores.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking about this for a while, and am not sure who would be interested in joining forces with me on it, but I am going to start bringing a camera with me on my toy runs more often.

The purpose will be to attempt to prove a hypothesis:

Legacy figures are more difficult to find at retail than both SAGA Legends and Clone Wars figures.

Obviously this is not scientific, and there aren't going to be any sales data to back up anything, but we can at LEAST show what collectors see on a daily basis when we are on our toy runs. And that's a big part of the success of a line, if the market can't find what they are hoping to purchase, they simply can't make the purchase.

If anyone wants to start off with some pictures this week, please do! I'll be sure to grab my camera and take it with me this week - and for each photo, I will name the retailer and the date the photo was taken.

:wink:
By YAK_Chewie
Cool guys, thanks!

And yes, if we were able to get some sort of momentum going, I think it would be something we could submit to Hasbro.

I think it goes without saying that we need to be 100% honest though and do NOT take certain figures OFF the pegs before snapping the pics. The photos should reveal what you saw at the time you walked into the aisle.

By YAK_Chewie
That looks very familiar with the Wal-Marts in these parts!

Here's something outstanding for collectors... Toysrus!

Image Image

Yes, my camera phone is about as bad as it gets. But this shows the wonderful situation at TRU as of late - the left side of the pegs is all Legends, the right side is all Clone Wars.

And in the middle, what do we have?

Drum Roll..........
Captain Needa!

By darth_sidious
Both TRUs in my area are about the same - zero Legacy figures - but plenty of Legends, CW, and the Ponds figure all mixed together - I think they are the worst when it comes to Legacy basic figures. I've only seen and bought Legacy figures at WM and Target, and they always sell out quickly and the restocks are nearly nonexistant.

To this day, I have seen remnants of the ROTJ wave once, and have yet to see ANH or ROTS. The TPM wave had slow distribution, but after buying figures from WM, Target, and Kohls, I was eventually able to complete the wave... Hunting for the Legacy collection is really becoming a task. :?
By darth_sidious
I stopped at TRU for their sale - they had tons of CW figures, as well as 4-5 cases of them on the overhead shelves, along with four cases of LEGENDS! Their pegs were overflowing with CW and Legends, so I brought a Legacy price sticker to CS and had them scan it: ZERO in stock / on order. I would have snapped a picture, but their was a grandma rifling through the pegs like it was midnight madness or something, lol.
By Paulskywalker
This is a great idea! And if everyone takes pictures we could compile them into a slideshow, to send into a future Q&A. But i fear even with visible evidence Hasbro would still swear night is day.
By YAK_Chewie
Here's what I saw over the weekend... starting with Target, which had full pegs. But looking at Legacy representation, only 6 were Legacy figures. That's bad. All from the ROTJ wave, and pretty much just repacks.

Then, we look at Wal-Mart, where we have about a dozen Legacy figures, but all are from the same wave - ESB Needa wave. They got those in what, in June... have had really only one case of Legacy figures hit since then, which was the ROTJ wave, which sold through the day they got them in - and I was the one who bought them.

Finally, TRU. They got in a couple cases of the ANH wave yesterday, but after the sale, this is what is left. I don't think they sold a single Clone Wars or Legacy figure during the sale, or very few. All that sold were new Legacy figures. And what's left from that wave? The REPACKS of course.

The surprise was KOHLS, which had gotten in a case of ANH, ROTJ and ROTS, and have a fairly even distribution of Legacy/Clone Wars/Legends. I only snapped a close up of the surprise figure I saw (and bought, which was the IG-88 concept).

By The Professor
This is an excellent idea. A picture (in this case many) is worth a thousand words. If I could get the pictures off my camera phone, I would have dozens for this thread!

You my friend are a customizing machine. I don't[…]

Oh my gosh, that is terrible!!!! I have always tho[…]

My Custom Star Wars Figures/Vehicles

Ah, the Battle of Jabiim! What a fun story arc t[…]

ProCreate is good. Not brittle at all. Thank you b[…]

I noticed on the Shadow Trooper, his left knee is […]

Retail Sales, Clearances, Etc.

vikingrobot informed me late last night that Wal[…]

I can always a fan of your customs. These droids[…]

Wow. It is wild to see a new Enloe head. Big step[…]