Era: 2008-Present

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By MisterPL
That's why I get frustrated with over-simplified attacks on Hasbro. I'm sure if it were up to them, they'd be offering these things at a lot less but their families have to eat, too (blah blah blah).

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm on your part, but aren't you over simplying it to in that you assume the high price is so their families eat? Every other day here in the UK we hear how big business bosses are getting away with giving themselves high wages and then bonuses on top, this is why people see the high prices as unfair not the likely poorly paid eastern workers who make the things.

you know things are getting bad when they choose to resculpt an army-builder like the Clone Trooper and remove costly articulation.

Wouldn't it cost a lot more to create an entire new tool over using the same old existing one? Likely the second sculpt was create to ease up heavy use of the first one in my view?

The Vintage packaging certainly isn't as design intensive as the Legends or Clone Wars packaging and includes fewer pack-ins so I'll admit to being baffled at this line's higher retail. All I can think of is that it's produced in fewer numbers and therefore costs more to produce, despite the inclusion of repacks.

I think it unlikely anytime soon you'll see vintage figures on Legends cards, as they like to use their usual choices for that. And yes TRU raised the price but Hasbro decided the high 8.99 price point and the higher price to me was likely that Hasbro new they could charge a premium just because they are 'vintage' cards and that the restricted bubble would benefit them in reducing costs of material and add-in's

I know you say you don't like it when people over simplify Hasbro, but in my academic work i'm always complaining about polarisation and i feel you've done this, people complain about Hasbro so you have gone the opposite and painted them too positively; Big business doesn't have a reputation for self-insterest and greed for nothing.
By MisterPL
darth_sidious wrote:Ever hear of exaggeration or sarcasm? We're collectors discussing toys, this isnt a press conference. lol. Obviously repaints arent free to make, but its added profit in the sense that Hasbro puts little or no effort into the figure, all they have to do is have someone design the deco.

Yes, I've heard of sarcasm. Just keep that in mind when reading my posts, too. ;)

And yes, Hasbro's saving the costs of tooling but that's pretty much it. As you said, someone had to design the deco, someone has to tool the masks for the deco, someone has to apply the deco. It still needs to be sorted and packed and shipped and a whole bunch of other things that people get paid to do, including the overhead to do it. I think at the end of the day, while Hasbro and retailers might enjoy a slightly better margin with these Battle Packs, it's not as great as some insist.

But like I said in my last post, without the actual numbers, it's impossible to know. What I do know is that it isn't fair to compare the higher price of these upcoming Battle Packs to what's on pegs now since they weren't manufactured at the same time. (Not saying that's your personal position, it's just something I've been reading lately.)
Crude i've just just accidently wrote my comment over your post MisterPL, i pressed edit rather than quote and not realised.

I'll speak to admin and see if they can fix it!
By MisterPL
Yes, it's very interesting that you were able to edit my post. Very troubling.

In answer to your reply:

paulskywalker wrote:"I'm not sure if this is sarcasm on your part, but aren't you over simplying it to in that you assume the high price is so their families eat? Every other day here in the UK we hear how big business bosses are getting away with giving themselves high wages and then bonuses on top, this is why people see the high prices as unfair not the likely poorly paid eastern workers who make the things.

I'm not oversimplifying at all when I say there are families here that need to eat. Hasbro has had to let go of part of its workforce over the years, publicly and not so. The "big business bosses" to which you refer are most likely in the Fortune 500, and Hasbro isn't currently on that list. Regardless, I think you're letting your local media coverage paint an unfair picture of this toy company.

paulskywalker wrote:Wouldn't it cost a lot more to create an entire new tool over using the same old existing one? Likely the second sculpt was create to ease up heavy use of the first one in my view?

Tooling costs are a one-time investment. Leveraging existing toolings is a good way of amortizing the cost but if the design is dated (IE - no longer meets LFL's approval) or if it's simply more cost-effective to create a more efficient tool, the original gets retired. You've got to think long-term with these decisions, and over the long term, a figure with fewer parts will be less expensive to produce.

paulskywalker wrote:I think it unlikely anytime soon you'll see vintage figures on Legends cards, as they like to use their usual choices for that.

Some of the previous (and over-packaged) Vintage figures eventually found their way to standard cards. I think once Hasbro has what they consider to be "definitive" versions of key characters, they'll continue offering them to attract new collectors as long as they can.

paulskywalker wrote:I know you say you don't like it when people over simplify Hasbro, but in my academic work i'm always complaining about polarisation and i feel you've done this, people complain about Hasbro so you have gone the opposite and painted them too positively; Big business doesn't have a reputation for self-insterest and greed for nothing.

Again, it seems you're letting your overall opinion of "big business" taint your view. Hasbro's certainly trying to turn a profit and for plenty of legitimate reasons. You can blame greed for everything from Hasbro's manufacturing costs to the retailers' inflated margins all the way to collectors' desire to spend less on toys so they can spend more elsewhere. Hasbro exists in a capitalist society and greed is part of the equation, from manufacturer to consumer.

I don't think I'm painting Hasbro too positively as much as I'm trying to point out that there are other parts to this equation many collectors don't recognize. Some seem to think that the toy goes directly from Hasbro to their shelf and it's not that simple. I know from professional experience that certain decisions get made by the retailers, and it's awkward at best for Hasbro to tell consumers in a Q&A that (and this is just a hypothetical example) the reason Darth Maul is featured on the 2012 packaging is because Target's toy buyer really likes Darth Maul. Believe it or not, retailers actually have that kind of influence.

I've been telling collectors for years that all too often complaining to Hasbro is like preaching to the choir. As a mass market manufacturer myself, believe me when I say I can sympathize with consumers because I'm also a consumer. For example, I share that frustration when Hasbro says "Playsets don't sell." But I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not that Hasbro doesn't believe it so much as ONE of their key retailers doesn't believe it.

So if you really want your voice heard, point it at Walmart and Target and Toys R Us and every other large retailer with enough buying power to warrant exclusives. Let them know how you feel because when consumers talk, retailers listen and when retailers talk, manufacturers and licensors listen. They might not be able to do anything about the price of fuel but they may decide to rethink product categories in a way everyone can find more satisfying.

[/stepping off the soapbox]

I'm a moderator it's just people are so well behaved that i go unnoticed, until i mess up. I'm so sorry i did it, i've been so distracted lately i didn't realise what i had done until i was too late; i have emailed an admin to see if it can be recovered somehow?
By MisterPL
Paulskywalker wrote:

I'm a moderator it's just people are so well behaved that i go unnoticed, until i mess up. I'm so sorry i did it, i've been so distracted lately i didn't realise what i had done until i was too late; i have emailed an admin to see if it can be recovered somehow?

I used to be a moderator myself so I understand the honest mistake. No worries.

Bottom line for me is that I like this set, wish it had more value, and agree that the category will likely have to be reconsidered. Obviously retailers would rather de-content than raise prices (no different than many other consumer goods). The general consensus among collectors certainly doesn't seem to support this new configuration. We'll have to see if general consumers feel any differently.
By MisterPL
I picked this up today and really like the smaller packaging. "Very toight, toight like a toiger." This will be one of the more popular sets even if it is straight repaints. Gotta love the army builders. :)
By goalieman0820
I saw this set for the first time today and it was a no brainer for me to buy. Really love the set. Also, kinda surprised how much complaining there has been about it in this thread. Really cool set for a great season opener.
By RC 0379 Marev
I bought this set at Target for 19.99, saw it at TRU for 24.99. So, buying it at target brings it to about $6.66 a figure...a little less than single packs at retail.

Blitz is a decent repaint, and I am loving the animated look of the Phase2 helmets. I am not a huge fan of his kama deco, but that's not the figure's fault.

Echo And Fives...These figures went straight into the fodder bin. Eventually, when i get around to it, i will probably strip their armor deco off and repaint them into new, different troopers. For some folks, i'm sure these are interesting figures, but i don't like the shade of blue they have, nor am i a fan of the leg decos...or the Handprint on Echo really for that matter. I would have much rather had 1 clone trooper and 99, like many others have mentioned.

So, bottom line, to get Blitz, i had to buy 2 figures i didn't really want. This will probably be my last battle pack purchase. I wanted Blitz enough to justify getting echo and fives too, but i wanted Cad in disguise...but not enough to get saddled with a subpar ahsoka and a subpar anakin. It was a tough decision though, i thought it back and forth for about 5 minutes or so. Passing on the other packs though, that was rediculously easy.... The grevious pack? two throwaway clones and the Deluxe grevious? all i really wanted from that was the freakin cape! The zillo beast pack? nothing decent there! I just don't get the logic behind these new battle packs....
By stroebel83
okay bought this BP and for some repaints, i love it.
probably only bp i'll get till the taun taun one comes out
....could anyone put together a shot of all the 501st troopers so far?
Solo: Recent Acquisitions

Went shopping during lunch - I'm surprised the hom[…]

Well, we didn't meet our goal but it also didn't h[…]

Votes have been tallied and here are the winners f[…]

01. Sergeant Torent (Death Squad Commander or Star[…]

I finally got that Pig. Had to travel out to Ball[…]

Is Cassian's sniper rifle a custom or is that an a[…]

Updated my list above, after some hunting I found […]

Yakfinities #69 - CRIMINALS

Welcome aboard, I especially like your Maddie figu[…]