Era: 2008-Present

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

I understand the need for "Movie Heroes." Theoretically, this segment includes popular characters that helps nurture new collectors. Nothing kills interest in a toy line faster than not being able to find a main character at retail. To that end, characters like Darth Vader and Han Solo should be available in some form at any time.

However, I agree that two segments is plenty; one for films and one for the TV series. And if the film segment needs to focus on whatever movie is being reissued in theatres or on home video, so be it. Likewise the TV segment should focus on high-demand characters but both segments need to continue to offer main characters for those late to the collecting game. Whether that's done as a catch-up multi-pack at retail or a "best of" wave exclusively through Hasbro.com, new consumers really need an easy way to start collecting without having to resort to the secondary market.

One thing I'd like to suggest, on the off chance that this "19 figures per year" ends up being the trend for the next five or six years; stick to the show! There are plenty of new characters or variants of existing characters that will sell just fine without resorting to "off camera" shenanigans like "Cold Weather Plo Koon" and such.
MisterPL wrote:I understand the need for "Movie Heroes." Theoretically, this segment includes popular characters that helps nurture new collectors. Nothing kills interest in a toy line faster than not being able to find a main character at retail. To that end, characters like Darth Vader and Han Solo should be available in some form at any time.

Problem i the is the exact idea that ended up killing CW, Waves and waves of Anakin, Obi-Wan, ect clogging up shelf space making other figues impossible to find. While main figs will turn fans off if they can't be found, so can those awesome lesser figures (Aqua droid comes to mind, while he is easier to find NOW, he hasn't been and there are many others that are near impossible to find like Armored Savage Opress as well). This frustrates and infuriates collectors who turn away from the line. Not good on any level
That's a matter of adjusting case ratios. Obviously there needs to be a balance between new figures and popular characters. That's a tricky matter of logistics. And what may be selling in Kentucky might be collecting dust in Pennsylvania. That's something the retailers need to fine tune. Hasbro can only sit on so much excess inventory before it becomes either obsolete or cost prohibitive over time.

I bet Santa Claus doesn't have these issues.
And those same waves were HTF in the US, at least where I am - I ended up buying, trading, etc with fellow collectors and on ebay for at least a dozen CW figures last year that were hard to find. Hasbro has resolved that issue with wave 1 for 2012, but the new problem is - who wants the figures they are offering? I admit, the three 'new' figures: Anakin, Cody, and the phase 2 clone are good figures - there just isnt much thats exciting about them. They arent making kids and collectors run to the pegs like some of the last CW waves from 2011 that were hard to find, not simply because of distribution but because the demand was so high for those figures / characters.
MisterPL wrote:That's a matter of adjusting case ratios. Obviously there needs to be a balance between new figures and popular characters. That's a tricky matter of logistics. And what may be selling in Kentucky might be collecting dust in Pennsylvania. That's something the retailers need to fine tune. Hasbro can only sit on so much excess inventory before it becomes either obsolete or cost prohibitive over time.

I bet Santa Claus doesn't have these issues.

we hear this all the time, yet it'f funny that a "local issue" can be reproted by 20 posters from 20 different states with five stores each and still be called a "local issue"

THing is I traveled a great deal over the last 2 years and the other thing is I saw the same thing in multiple states, including Pennsyvania (just to note).
I know what you mean but I can counter your statistics with my own experience of collectors on one coast complaining they can't find figures that are more plentiful on the other. Maybe it's a matter of timing.

The Seripas wave was universally difficult to find, it would seem, the Seripas figure in particular. I haven't read anyone mention those figures sitting for long. While I had no trouble finding the other figures in the wave, that specific bounty hunter was pretty elusive and suggests that Hasbro and/or retailers underestimated demand. That's a great candidate for a "best of" wave offered through Hasbro.com, in my opinion.
Another thing to remember is that Hasbro's got other lines demanding peg space this summer. With The Avengers, GI Joe, and Spider-Man all getting new films this year, something had to give. I just wish I was getting some Night Sisters or other characters that appeared on the show instead of Expanded Universe figures.
MisterPL wrote:I know what you mean but I can counter your statistics with my own experience of collectors on one coast complaining they can't find figures that are more plentiful on the other. Maybe it's a matter of timing.

Timing, or just not admitting what is flat in front of you.

I would like to get in touch with these mystery coast collectors, sounds like they may have bunches of what I looked for all year pegwarming on the shelves. Funny too as no one I know from california or washington state were able to hook me up with armored Savage or Ashoka Season 3 version.

BTW, I am the LAST person you want to open the "other lines" door with since I am one of the few that collects accross many lines, but just look at Marvel Universe to see even more distrobution problems, or Thor wave 3 which NEVER arrived at retail, the missing waves from Iron Man 2, or the assinine idea of taking the wave 1 version of these figures and giving them worse sculpts in the Avengers wave 1 line and causing a glut of undesireable product (I mean why buy a fig you just got last year with lesser articulation), and don't even get me started on the redheaded step child that is GI Joe, in comparison Clone Wars is babied. That line is mismanaged to death.

Point is Hasbro has a ton of problems interally and if you look accross the board the same bad choices are being made all over the place.
Hasbro say they have 'lost' money and have laid people off, so if they have reduced articulation in other lines and the BP's then maybe that is a bad sign of things to come as they maybe cutting back on costs? You know Hasbro rather than make a quality product everyone wants they will sell they'll cheap out to save a buck or two.
These changes will likely cause problems for the future of the line - and we are seeing some of them now. The MH and CW lines are plagued with bad repacks and characters that people simply dont want. Hasbros cost cutting measures have been going on for too long and the situation is getting worse. As they are reorganizing their company, they should look to these various lines and see how they can improve them before apathy sets in and collectors / kids abandon them. The CW line is the one that I think is in real trouble. I think we should focus our efforts on letting Hasbro know how to improve it to maintain the interest of all consumers while remaining profitable. Hasbro thinks these core characters and repacks will equal the most profit, but I dont see them moving at retail...
Paulskywalker wrote:Hasbro say they have 'lost' money and have laid people off, so if they have reduced articulation in other lines and the BP's then maybe that is a bad sign of things to come as they maybe cutting back on costs? You know Hasbro rather than make a quality product everyone wants they will sell they'll cheap out to save a buck or two.

Paul you left out that in addition to cutting costs they are raising the prices. It appears they are doing that accross the board.

The only way I see them improving the distro and case issues at this point is a massive block hitting them on the head, fans have told them for years it's not working (Since way back in the GI Joe 2-pack days of 2005) and they still push on with it. Avengers is telling me (with the repacks of IM, Thor and cap that look EXACTLY like the previous releases without the articulation) that Hasbro simply thinks that if they keep on trucking with that same mentality that drove the Indiana Jones line into the ground (Granted I don't think that line could have lasted forever, but a good solid 2+ years should have been possible).
zedhatch wrote:Timing, or just not admitting what is flat in front of you.

Right back at you. ;)

Seriously, we could go back and forth all week. Obviously we're having different experiences finding certain product. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

zedhatch wrote:Point is Hasbro has a ton of problems interally and if you look accross the board the same bad choices are being made all over the place.

I think Hasbro agrees. That may be part of what prompted the recent layoffs. Strategies that may have worked fine decades ago may be obsolete today but if there are still people embracing those methods, they need to go. Hopefully things will turn around soon.
Paulskywalker wrote:Hasbro say they have 'lost' money and have laid people off, so if they have reduced articulation in other lines and the BP's then maybe that is a bad sign of things to come as they maybe cutting back on costs? You know Hasbro rather than make a quality product everyone wants they will sell they'll cheap out to save a buck or two.

Compare what Hasbro's doing to what Mattel's doing in this scale and get back to me on how awful Star Wars has become. We're spoiled compared to Green Lantern and Batman fans. Mattel's still selling product that looks like it was designed in 1977 while charging as much if not more than Hasbro.

Seriously, take a look at what the competition is offering and you might gain a new appreciation for what Hasbro's going through. (Or not, I'd wager.)
Granted we are seeing an improvement compared to old stuff (think 90's even). I remember when McFarlane was cranking out sweet sculpts and no one else was, but they also had high prices. But I will say you can't even call Mattel competition. Star Wars is its own driving market, and hasbro has in essentially grabbed all the driving lines. They had DC and passed it off. I agree they are doing some good things, but the price hike and sub par product is bad. Who would appreciate that? They could thin out the line and release less new figures a year and re-release ones that will always sell, like good trooper molds. I think that is the mantra of the fans. When you look at lines like the Green Lantern I don't think anyone could argue it is any competition with Star Wars or anything that Hasbro is supporting as a main line. If anything it is a throwback to old school Kenner batman days.

Awesome, I certainly will enjoy that FO Stormtroop[…]

Raylen and I were on the galaxy of toys podcast th[…]

Target Exclusive Gamorrean Guard

Found and purchased one of these bad boys at a Tar[…]

Rebolt w/ Corellian Hound

Completely agree! Really dig this set. I hope to[…]

My AT-DT's came in yesterday from https://megalopo[…]

ImperialOfficer's customs

They all look great! I was thinking the other day […]

Found these two FINALLY today! Sent one off to YAK[…]

Walmart and TVC

Jodo do you know if those stores made space for T[…]