Forces of Destiny

Mighty Muggs, Titaniums, Galactic Heroes, Unleashed, Role Playing and more

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Forces of Destiny

Postby YAK_Chewie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 pm

I figured now that this stuff is hitting retail, we should open up a thread for it.

I hit three different Targets over the past couple days... and yeah... this stuff is stocked, but I see no evidence that a single figure has sold yet at any of these stores...

...the above is just one pic that I snapped from one store... they all looked like that... except for one store, that had an endcap also dedicated to these. Again, from what I could tell, it looked like customers so far are completely ignoring them. I showed them to my daughter today, and she seemed a bit interested, but also said "Those are too big" - she doesn't like the scale. She likes smaller toys. Just one girl, almost 6 years old... but could it be that Disney is trying just a little too hard on the whole "girl power" thing?

What's the scene look like everywhere else? Are these moving? Seems to me like this is a pretty weak immediate consumer response...

Did I run across three oddball stores that are the exception to the rule? Or is this line going struggle? My personal feeling since these were revealed was that there wasn't that much of a market for these...

Thoughts?

:wink:
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Re: Forces of Destiny

Postby StooperZero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm

toys r us stocked to the gills with these...

not one sold

if i were to buy one ever, it would be Ahsoka.
GrandMoffHux14
Cantina Bartender

Postby GrandMoffHux14 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Went to TRU last week...they hadn't sold one, sorry for not showing how just how many they had, but I was getting looks from a family and they were obviously confused as to why a teenager was taking a picture of dolls. :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
Passionate Star Wars fan/collector for all my life, Troop builder, teenager.

Other forum account:
https://disqus.com/by/GHuxy15/
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Being purely objective in my observations of what's moving at retail, I swung by a Toysrus today and two more Target stores today.

Toysrus - the "Forces of Destiny" stuff was crammed into the normal Star Wars section, and they had less than the Target stores do. Nothing appeared to have sold. What they did have on the pegs was crammed tight. I walked around the girls toy sections and didn't see them represented there.

Target - One store had stuff crammed on the pegs just like the previous three Targets that I've been to this week... the last Target however seemed to have sold quite a few (see below):

So, out of 6 stores (5 Target and 1 Toysrus), based on the first few days of product being released, most of the stores seemed to not have sold any, with one store standing out has having quite a few sales. Weird, I wonder if the local collector stores near that Target (there are several near that Target) had bought these in hopes of making a profit or if it was truly interested customers?

The most baffling thing to me though is that stores are putting these in the boys toy section. The target market is girls, right?

Note - $20 for the cheapest products in this line seems a bit high to me. I'm not saying the quality isn't there, because it appears these are well made toys. But perhaps some sort of little $2.99 "blind bags" would be a good way to spark little girls getting interested in this stuff? And at least putting them in the girls area of the toy department...

:?:
Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:31 pm

The end cap for these at Edwardsville Target are at least in the girl's section, but as expected, there didn't appear to be any that had sold.

I wonder how well the girl Nerf stuff sells/sold. It's always weird when they purposefully target girls like that IMO. Why not have a brand for everyone? The films already have had back-to-back female main characters. They didn't overly feminize that aspect, so why target kids in this way now?
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of August/20/17: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1!
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 pm

As for "why" - I think the DC girl superhero line had a lot of influence on the decision to create this niche...

I'm completely for expanding the Star Wars brand appeal, but if it's at the detriment of the "bread and butter" of the line, I'm very opposed to that (not saying that it is, but I really don't get why this stuff is being placed in the boys section).

YAK_Jayson
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Jayson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Hasbro stated that it would be marketed/sold alongside the boys product. The Forces of Destiny product is being treated differently then say other Disney properties like Moana, Frozen, Tangled and the like. Star Wars is seen as more boy/girl inclusive than those licensees.

I, for one, applaud its inclusion in the traditional "boys" aisle and end cap. I've purchased all of the figures released so far and without prompting, my two 4 year olds adore them.

They've only been out for a few days so I'll reserve any judgement on their sell-though for a few weeks.
Jayson
Yakface Reporter/Reviewer/Photographer/Toyguide Manager
Member of the JediDefender Twin Cities Collector Club

Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on our Facebook page.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate... hate leads to incessant complaining.
RumSleg
Midi-Chlorian

Postby RumSleg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:22 pm

I wonder if they'd be selling faster if they were stocked next to the DC Super Hero girls where people who are looking to buy for a girl would find them. If I wasn't on these websites that tell me to look for these next to all the other Star Wars toys, I'd be looking for them in the doll aisle.

In my mind, in the taxonomy of toys, dolls and action figures, etc. are a higher level of classification than Star Wars vs. other brands. Star Wars toys are spread all over the toy aisles. Action figures in one aisle, Legos in another, hot wheels in a third, Galactic Heroes in a fourth, and Tsum Tsums somewhere else, and Pops on an endcap, and so on. So insisting that these particular dolls go next to the action figures is probably confusing people.
terman123
Moisture Farmer

Postby terman123 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Haven't seen them here. Maybe when force Friday hits it will give them more exposure.
Will sell blood for Hasbro Figures.
StooperZero
Teras Kasi

Postby StooperZero » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:56 pm

i kinda wish wicket was just a little smaller.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:03 pm

For the record, the reason I think it's odd putting them in the boys section is that most of the potential buyers might not even see them. Shelf space for these should be right next to the DC Superhero girls line in my opinion.

BTW, that's an awesome pic Jayson. If/when my daughter shows more interest in these, she'll certainly be getting some too.

Jodo
Force Sensitive

Postby Jodo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 pm

It's stuff like that which makes me hope I get to have kids one day.
~ Jodo - Check out my latest photonovel as of August/20/17: Era of Darkness VOL 3: Chapter 1!

Return to “Other Hasbro Goodies”