Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

What should the theme be for Yakfinities #73?

Politicians
4%
Retro Style
No votes
0%
Ancient Jedi
4%
Entertainers
16%
Self Customs
20%
Dark Side Users
16%
Unknown Regions
40%
By Utinniii
Each of these figures had at least one item from the fodder box, so whomever didn't need them, thanks!

I'm not even sure where many of the parts are from. Most are simple swaps and repaints.

"Shorty". I've had this figure forever, but never had a head.

"Loc-nar Priest". Yujin capsule toy needed some legs. Pantyhose skirt.

"Troll". I've also had that helmet for a long time. It fits on the Chap-mei troll head that was left over from my Gamorrean thug from the last contest. It actually fits rather well.

"Deep One guard". Skylander head that I really liked on a more suitable body.

"Shrinking Violet". I tried to 3D print a few items at once which caused all 3 to abort. The head is actually the inverted torso of an alien bust.
By Utinniii
In comic books or in old movies/TV shows I loved how they just had random alien things in the background. Oftentimes, they just repainted real things in garish colors or glued things on lizards to make them alien.

I made a bunch of background beasts and plants and weird aliens.

Rampage Lizzie with a Transformer shell

Black blob is some kind of silicon compound.

3 repainted dinosaurs and a dog creature of dubious origins. I’m really pleased with the paint patterns on the dinos. I got the tiny one in a Christmas cracker when I was a kid and always liked it except for the stupid yellow color. Problem fixed!

Walking Footplant: I needed to make a mold to replace a missing Abomination foot. I decided to turn it into a creeping plant. Stalks are from an aquatic toy set.

Colorful slime plant: I’m really pleased with this one. It was the base of a Yujin toy. It was water splashing up. I repainted it and added the hair from an Anime figure.

Crystal life from: It chimes and scintillates to communicate. I added a sheen to the base of a random toy.

Purple ooze: One of my tubes of paint was drying out so I made these from the semi solid paint.

Jellyfish like aliens: The larger one is some kind of missle. The smaller one (I really like) is a Rhyu Streetfighter blast.

Slime Tentacle: 2 random parts put together. I based this one off of early Cane Addis designs.

Rock Lifeform: The custom painted dragon is actually just the meal for the Rock beneath it. It has the ability to change its consistency so in one second, the lizard is sitting on rock, but the next, it sinks into mud, only to be trapped in rock again to be slowly digested. The rock is dried out modelling clay and the green tendril plants (technically a third life form) are the plastic remains of drilling out green plastic (Waste not want not!). The rock allows them to remain as camouflage.
By Utinniii
Backgrounders Batch 1
These are the aliens that would be seen in the background of a movie or comic. Nothing really interesting, or complex; but neat to see.

Bug head: Mctoy body with a bug head (kind one throws at a window and watches it slime down).
4 eyes: Halloween Candy head lid with a Stargate body.
Ginger: Gundam body with a 3D printed head. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:166218
Reptoid: Jurassic Cheap toy body and cheap toy head (back has a human face).
Orctoid: Jurassic Park body and LOTR door accessory head
Reclining Oxenkinder: Beyblade top head with cheapo soldier body
Marty McFly: TMNT Kree-O head on a Anime body
Snouty McSnoutface: Cheapo warrior toy with Milliput face
Stoic Priest: BurgerKing Rasputin with a coral rock I found.
Tribesmen: Off brand toy repainted.

Background Aquatic Species
The flash washes out the painting on these figures, but they are quite textured.

Cuttlefishhead: I had a broken King in a bag of toys so instead of throwing it out, I made this. The head was an early sculpt by me. It was based off a Babylon 5 alien.
Nectocaris pteryxhead: SW II Jedi keychain with a cast of a prehistoric cephalopod Nectocaris pteryx.
Reptihead: Dollarstore alien with a cast of a reptile head (MOTU?)
By Utinniii
Avian Alien
Xenobiologists have trouble categorizing this one. It has both avian and gastropod characteristics yet also carries its eggs in a pouch, like a marsupial.

Head. Arms: Beyblade? Top parts
Body: Upside down cheapo dragon figure with a bit of Greenstuff to lengthen the tentacles
Tail: Mctoy Monster Inc lizard monster

Golamian Slug alien

Head: Kit Fisto with face removed
Body: MIB slug waiter
Hands: Real shellfish claws from a weird lobster/crab thing
By Utinniii
Starchaser wrote:Utinniii - that's a prodigious output of customs - some weird, some wacky and some really cool. I really like Golamian Slug, the Skylander headed alien.

Thanks! It is a really freeing challenge as we are not bound by much existing media. Creativity is really important for this one.
There are only about 8 that I am really proud of. The rest were fun and used to hone various skills.

That actually represents only about half of what I hope to accomplish for this contest (but come September I will have less time again).

Onwards and Outwards!

She Came From Planet Clair.
Planet Clair has pink air
All the trees are red
No-one ever dies there
No-one has a head.

While this was a simple custom, child me is really proud of this. Whenever I heard Planet Clair I would imagine dancers with tassels on their arms that would turn into eyelashes and their head would become the eyeball. They would jerk their heads back and forth like moving eyes to the music.
The Anime figure's pose was almost perfect.
She's being watched by a fan.
Clair is an Anime figure with fake eyelashes.
Fan is a modified Monster Inc figure with pins for the teeth. Eye is based loosely from LOTR.
One of Medduwn's Equitors, Vuragh, belongs to the Stromma species from Oristrom. A strong-willed and honor-bound race, Vuragh chose exile over allowing his family to be dishonored for opposing the alliance with the Quesoth. In exile he met and was impressed by Caji Medduwn's integrity and commitment to justice and so transferred his staunch loyalty to the Equitors.

The Stromma are from "Crisis of Faith" by Timothy Zahn, they are never fully described so I've chosen to make them gray-skinneed humanoids (possibly the same species as Fifth Brother).
By Utinniii
Starchaser wrote:One of Medduwn's Equitors, Vuragh, belongs to the Stromma species from Oristrom. A strong-willed and honor-bound race, Vuragh chose exile over allowing his family to be dishonored for opposing the alliance with the Quesoth. In exile he met and was impressed by Caji Medduwn's integrity and commitment to justice and so transferred his staunch loyalty to the Equitors.

The Stromma are from "Crisis of Faith" by Timothy Zahn, they are never fully described so I've chosen to make them gray-skinneed humanoids (possibly the same species as Fifth Brother).

i totally get a 5th Brother Vibe from that. What parts did you use?

Here is one I really like how it turned out.

Head: Poison Ivy Accessory. I kept the chomping action, although it lost a bit of range.
Body: Water Dragon
Arms: Pokemon McToy
More arms: cut all the legs off a toy centipede

I call it a Toofer since as I was priming it, I realized it made another awesome creature when turned upside down.
I can see this in the background of a comic book. This version is very large and can take on an AT-AT.

mousedroidhoojib - That Ebruchi turned out really well, especially the tentacles around the mouth.

Utinniii - Thanks for the feedback. The parts for Vuragh are as follows:
Head = Funko Ready Player One IROC with hood removed.
Helmet = Resistance Synara San with face mask removed.
Torso and legs = comic two-part Koffi Arana.
Kama and backpack= Johnston concept snowtrooper.
Arms = bare torso Savage Opress.
Thanks so much, Chewie, darthapathy and Starchaser. I feel a little embarrassed that the Ebruchi figure barely took me any time to complete.

On his return to Ahch-To's Temple Island with his fellow Visitors, the fish gutter Hesper-Inguza played his opah-bladder bagpipes as part of the celebration with the Caretaker Lanai.

Reference, recipe and turnaround animation can be found in my customs thread.
Community fodder box...

Box arrived, I havent had time to go threw it tho[…]

The Dark Crystal (Funko) 3.75 line

Received an email from Amazon updating my Dark Cry[…]

I make stuff too!

Productive weekend. This'll be the last new custom[…]

Silvasu Fi p63 / Index p1

You must have quite the collection of bodiless clo[…]

Here is my attempt at a character that may or may […]

Funko Reaction Maria (robot)

Thought this Maria robot figure from the movie Met[…]

TVC 2019/2020 Discussion