DotD's Customs - 10/8 Odion (Sith Lord)

Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

DanOfTheDead

DotD's Customs - 10/8 Odion (Sith Lord)

Postby DanOfTheDead » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Hey everyone.

I wanted to start a thread to show some of my customs, starting with my entries into this month's Yakfinities contest. I'll update as I get more done, and I've got some older work to re photograph.

D3-M0 is the only member of the group that was created for military purposes. His original intention was to clear mines and explosives from a battlefield to clear the way for other troops. After time, the droid started to develop a taste for explosions, and by the time he joined up with the rest of the fugitive droids, he was an expert in demolitions.

D3-M0 was the first one I put together for the project, and was made from odds and ends I had left over from Gundams I used for other projects. His shape is loosely based on the "head-crabs" from Half-Life.

Originally a video-feed unit for the Holonet, VRC-4 now acts as the group's spy and scout. He's able to directly transmit to each member of the group, giving them all a birds-eye view of the battle field in real time. Equipped with a wide array of sensors, he's able to "see" in many different spectrums. Having severed himself from the long-range connection to the Holonet, VRC-4's transmitting now has a limited range.

VRC-4 was made from a GI Joe sigma six 2.5" BAT figure with claws from a medical droid. The original figure had very limited articulation, so I cut it up, turned it upside down, and gave it the new hands.
Last edited by DanOfTheDead on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 48 times in total.
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:04 pm

This group is a work in progress that started when I kept coming up with ideas for the droid yakfinities contest.

Basically, they're all droids who had original functions that weren't directly related with combat. Either through reprogramming, or avoiding memory wipes long enough to develop distinct personalities, or even by accident, they all end up with combat based specialties. They're on the run, as most of their original owners want them back, and various corporations would like to figure out how they broke their programming. Corny as it may sound, they're like a droid version of the A-Team.

I'm also looking for some thoughts on paint choice and names for a few of them.

Left to right:
(back) SS-N8, heavy weapons (this was one I did a long time ago, but I loved how he came out and I thought he fit in great with the group)

(front, the little one) ???, NEEDS NAME AND PAINT SCHEME he needs a name. He's a KOTOR-era generator droid, used as a portable power supply. His new function is to supply "ammo" for the larger droids that put out a lot of firepower.

(back, the tall one) ???, NEEDS NAME AND PAINT SCHEME. I'm considering going all white on this one. he's the group's sniper. a very, very long time ago he was a protocol unit.

(front, "the engineer") NEEDS PAINT SCHEME. An ancient droid. he was built to calculate and design perfect droids. his advanced processor, however, quickly reached a point of near-sentience, and he decided the best way to complete his task was to improve himself. he has upgraded his form numerous times, moving from body to body. currently, he inhabits the shell of a bounty-hunter droid. he is responsible for the reprogramming of some of the group's other members.

(back VRC-4) See above info

(front ???) NEEDS NAME AND PAINT SCHEME. Those aren't arm cannons, they're impact hammers. He was originally a construction droid, intended to clear large amounts of rubble quickly. He's now the group's heavy melee hitter.

(back D3-M0) see above info

Please. I'd love to hear suggestions on names for the unnamed ones, and paint schemes too.
roron corobb
Nerf Herder

Postby roron corobb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:39 am

I really like what you have going there.

On your generator droid might look good in a dark red or burgandy and I'm not sure about highlights for him though.

I would suggest going with a camo type paint application for your sniper. I'm thinking of something like that new camo pattern with the different sized boxes.

Your leader or engineer being that you stated him being near-sentience, I would go with a more human type look to him, but still keeping the droid feel. I'm not really knowing how to put it other than that.

Last one would be for your construction droid. I would try and match the arms with the body and give him a real worked over look with weathering. Maybe even make the arms look beat up, but the main color you have there looks good for him. All I see is he needs some weathering or that used feel to him.

I'm not that good with names, but something might come to you once you get the paint on them. Can't wait to see these guys finished.
roron corobb
My Feedback Links: Classifieds or Trading
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Been a while, but I have completed a few customs for some of the projects here.

Here's my gambler for this month's "Podracers" and related characterstheme...

And an Infinities Leia for the "Reversals" theme.
YAK_Chewie
Forum Admin

Postby YAK_Chewie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:23 pm

You've got some very good work there. You really take a more creative angle than most people I've seen in that you come up with some very original designs, using a variety of parts. Very nice painting too... I really enjoy your customs very much.

Any progress on those droids yet in terms of painting them?

:wink:
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:19 pm

This was a pretty popular basic recipe a few months ago, I don't remember who's version I first saw, but I knew I wanted to copy it.

He looks little more pink than he really is in front of an all gray background.

He's not entirely on-model from the source or anything (Knights of the Old Republic II), but I'm pleased with how he came out.

Coookieemonster
Moisture Farmer

Postby Coookieemonster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:47 pm

The droids put me in mind of the ABC Warriors, these are way cool.
jedibyron
Moisture Farmer

Postby jedibyron » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:39 pm

that's a great custom... it'd be hard to fully duplicate a guy who is actually broken into a million little pieces and held together by the dark side of the force.... but i'd recognize him
Incom
Jedi / Sith Apprentice

Postby Incom » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:11 pm

DanOfTheDead wrote:This was a pretty popular basic recipe a few months ago, I don't remember who's version I first saw, but I knew I wanted to copy it.

Perhaps you mean Maxxsium's Darth Sion?

Anyway, I think he looks wicked. Very gritty and evil. Insane perhaps, ha!

And where are the Assassins you posted for the Yakfinities? The Brom, the Ishei Sisters and Alem'Ator are some very sharp looking killers :)
Follow me around the web
ImageImage
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Incom wrote:Perhaps you mean Maxxsium's Darth Sion?

Anyway, I think he looks wicked. Very gritty and evil. Insane perhaps, ha!

And where are the Assassins you posted for the Yakfinities? The Brom, the Ishei Sisters and Alem'Ator are some very sharp looking killers :)

That's the one I think. Thanks for the comments, and you're right, I've been meaning to add my assassins to this thread. Got some new pictures to share too...

From the Yakfinities Aquatic month:

These were mine (and my wife's) entries for the Yakfinities' Assassins project.
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by DanOfTheDead on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:00 pm

Now some newer stuff:

A War Droid I've been working on... probably KOTOR era.

Next is an easy swoop made from a Transformers Animated Oil Slick (I think that's his name). All I had to do was remove the wheels and add some bits and pieces from GI Joe BATS. I just stuck this figure on it to show the scale...

ImageImage

And finally, when I removed the wheels I wanted to do SOMETHING with them, so I whipped up these WIP tables for a cantina:
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:33 am

Finished up another this morning.

This was one I put together for my "Droid Brigade" over a year ago. This one is a protocol droid who gets reprogrammed as the groups sniper.

Darth Depressis
Rebel / Imperial Trooper

Postby Darth Depressis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:29 am

i must say you have some of the greatest looking and iconic fan-fic customs i've seen. all ofcourse done nicely.
DanOfTheDead

Postby DanOfTheDead » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanks, I certainly appreciate the feed back.

I hope to finish some more of those droids I started last year soon. I need a clear gloss for some elements (like the eyes on my most recent one), but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with how they're turning out.
Clone_5X
Cantina Bartender

Postby Clone_5X » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:00 pm

these customs are amazing!

start selling them to hasbro lol :lol:
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Return to “Creations”